17 NFL owners unhappy with Goodell, blocking contract extension [clarification inside]

DigInBoys

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21206250/dallas-cowboys-jerry-jones-owners-trying-halt-roger-goodell-proposed-contract-extension

If over half the owners are unhappy with him I can't see him lasting.

———————

[Moderator edit] 

excerpts from the initial ESPN report can be found below:

There is a growing difference of opinion among owners about Goodell's overall performance as commissioner, according to sources. The owners on Thursday's conference call are generally unhappy with Goodell and the NFL's front office for a variety of reasons, including the player protests staged during the national anthem, issues regarding the relocation of teams to Los Angeles and the league's handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case, according to sources.

Despite the unhappiness, this group of owners is skeptical that it will be able to outright fire Goodell, according to sources. The NFL would need 24 owners to approve Goodell's ouster. But one person involved in this past week's conference call compared the NFL's current situation with Goodell to Major League Baseball's situation with Fay Vincent in September 1992, when baseball owners voted 18-9 to ask him to step down and replace him with Bud Selig.

"There is, and was, something that is an issue," said a league source who was not on the conference call and didn't learn about it until Saturday night. "I'd be very surprised about wanting to change Roger. I'd be shocked about that."

CBS Sports refutes the interpretation of the initial report

Below are excerpts from the CBS article that offer a different interpretation on the topic.

Numerous sources reiterate that Roger Goodell's new contract is done as a practical matter and that Jerry Jones' effort to "hijack" the process in a conference call among some owners on Thursday is not feasible. Sources also believe the Ezekiel Elliott suspension is a significant factor in Jones' ongoing battle with the league office and doubt he has anything close to 16 other owners in his corner.

"That article leaves the inference that 17 want Roger out but I know most on the call may want some changes at the league staff but NOT Roger," communicated one ownership source. "Meaning they want Roger to stay but want some guys out and want more talented people brought in" at the league office.

Jerry Jones and some other owners are displeased with how the league office has handled the mounting turmoil associated with players demonstrating during the national anthem, but the negotiations between the league's Compensation Committee of owners and Goodell have been complete for weeks and the matter is closed. Goodell's extension is complete, but, given the highly-charged political climate in this country and Donald Trump's propensity to lash out at the NFL, neither side is pushing the matter of announcing the deal now.

Some in the league office expect that a formal announcement might not come until the week of the Super Bowl, when Goodell gives an annual state of the league press conference.

27 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

As much as we want this to happen, it's fake news unfortunately: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roger-goodells-contract-a-done-deal-despite-jerry-jones-efforts-to-hijack-it/

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

but how did that ruin the NFL? Even if this were true (especially the latter).

The former doesn't "ruin" the NFL perse, but his witch hunts against Brady and Elliot are beyond ridiculous. When you factor that and how players with worse offenses get lesser punishments, some fans are going to get turned off.

For player safety, it lessens the quality of play. I don't know how you can preach improving safety, but then have players play on four days rest when they have to play on Thursday. I would go as far to say games should be Sunday only (will never happen of course). The NFL would benefit from a "less is more" approach.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

but how did that ruin the NFL? Even if this were true (especially the latter).

It hasn't ruined the NFL. But without a doubt I'd say Roger has done irreparable damage to the NFL's reputation over the years with all of the b.s witchhunts he's done over the years.

Then again I don't know how much you can say is actually his damage vs. the concussions/domestic violence/poltiical stuff that probably pisses off people more than what he's done.

15 minutes ago, everlong said:

The former doesn't "ruin" the NFL perse, but his witch hunts against Brady and Elliot are beyond ridiculous. When you factor that and how players with worse offenses get lesser punishments, some fans are going to get turned off.

For player safety, it lessens the quality of play. I don't know how you can preach improving safety, but then have players play on four days rest when they have to play on Thursday. I would go as far to say games should be Sunday only (will never happen of course). The NFL would benefit from a "less is more" approach.

If you think worse offenses should get more punishment it seems your issue is with the NFLPA and not the commissioner's office. 

I also believe the owners pushed the Thursday night games more than Goodell. It is ultimately the owners than make extra money off that. Unless you're aware of RG convincing the owners it was a good idea or something? I will admit I don't know one way or the other but I suspect it's the former. Don't get me wrong, I think TNF is contradictory for player safety as well, but I don't think this is a Goodell issue, it's an owners issue.

I just hate the arbitrary fines, appeals, and disciplinary process that the current NFL has adopted, which has only become more and more cavalier under Goodell. The NFLPA does have to own some of this because they did agree to the CBA which allows for the process to run this way, but in the end I lay this at the feet of Goodell and his staff. Many owners have been outspoken about the process, from Jerry Jones to Robert Kraft, specifically because of Brady and Elliott, but you won't see the rest of the league or owners chiming in because it benefits them to be quiet and let Goodell be the final judge, jury, and executioner. The fact that the instances of players fighting the league in court seems to be rising provides proof that the process carries unfair standards in comparison to similar grievances in the public sector. Again, the league win some these fights because of the CBA, but they should see that with public dissatisfaction on the rise that they need to revamp the process in order for it to be a more fair and unbiased process. 

I am sure, declining viewership is what is driving any replacement talk. Owners will put up with an awful lot if it does not hit them in their pocketbooks, but take some revenue away from them, and there will be dissent. Goodall is just a front man for the owners, with little if any real say in how things go in the NFL and his main task is to keep the golden cow flowing and bringing in the cash. Failure to do that will quickly get him fired, the rest of the talk is all fluff, if the owners are looking for a reason to replace him.

Archived