17 NFL owners unhappy with Goodell, blocking contract extension [clarification inside]

DigInBoys

11 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I just hate the arbitrary fines, appeals, and disciplinary process that the current NFL has adopted, which has only become more and more cavalier under Goodell. The NFLPA does have to own some of this because they did agree to the CBA which allows for the process to run this way, but in the end I lay this at the feet of Goodell and his staff.

Own just some of this? They agreed to a system where Goodell was judge, jury, executioner, and appeals court. And then they're shocked that it's arbitrary?

Sufficed to say, this will likely be priority #1 when they renegotiate the CBA in a couple years time. Of course, the owners realize this, so they'll make the price tag high to get a sensible system in place (even though the arbitrariness can affect their own team).

I think he's made a couple of positive moves. The rookie contracts and placing emphasis on player safety, despite some protests of "pussyfying the sport", are positive and intellectual moves, IMO. (I stress my opinion).

On the other hand, there's been some shambolic episodes and lacklustre responses to difficult issues. The player domestic violence stuff, the over-baring punishment for particular discrepancies (even if the case was chucked out of court.....). Gestapo-esque, if you're being dramatic, which I am :) 

I give him a 5 out of 10, so far. 

Normally this isn’t something to be done, but I have edited the OP with information from the ESPN article, as well as some conflicting information from the CBS Sports article.

I would caution all members to read both articles before forming an opinion on what may be transpiring behind the scenes, as each article seemingly paints a largely different picture of what is happening. 

10 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

But they pay him over $40 million a year just because they can't handle being personally criticized. He has no real power. He's just a guy they give $40 million a year to for almost no reason 

I thought it was 10?

Pre Goodell: Patriots 3 Super Bowls, 0 Super Bowl losses, no draft picks lost, Brady plays the entire time. 

Post Goodell Patriots 2 Super Bowls, 2 Super Bowl losses. 2 draft picks taken away, Brady misses a season in 08, and Brady misses 4 games to suspension in 16. 

I know which NFL I liked best.

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Pre Goodell: Patriots 3 Super Bowls, 0 Super Bowl losses, no draft picks lost, Brady plays the entire time. 

Post Goodell Patriots 2 Super Bowls, 2 Super Bowl losses. 2 draft picks taken away, Brady misses a season in 08, and Brady misses 4 games to suspension in 16. 

I know which NFL I liked best.

Just to add to this...

Pre-Goodell = Entertaining football.

Post-Goodell = Pass happy league

I know which I liked best too

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM, everlong said:

Draconian and inconsistent when disciplining players and zero regard for player safety.

Tagliabue was much worse when it came to player safety. Refused to pay benefits to players with head injuries, and actively covered up any links between hits and brain damage. He set up a commision to create bull**** tests to create the sense that there isn't a consensus in the community ala the tobacco industry with lung cancer and the oil industry with global warming.

He outright dismissed claims from the neurological community because his own funded studies didn't draw the same conclusions. His studies were headed by a guy who's specialty was arthritis btw.

Archived