Bengals @ Lions

Louis Friend

3 hours ago, detroitroar said:

Hes got a top 5 TE and maybe the best receiving back in the league, whom was wide open on that pathetic 4th down play. 

Nobody expected him to come out and play like a top 10 QB but he has been god awful. 

If Dan Campbell had any nuts he would of benched him on pure principle for that play.

Well, he publicly stated Goff has to step up and be better. The media won’t let that go. They will bring it up every week so he’s created a QB issue

I’m of the opinion, with that out there publicly, if Goff doesn’t improve significantly Detroit will draft a QB. 

11 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Well, he publicly stated Goff has to step up and be better. The media won’t let that go. They will bring it up every week so he’s created a QB issue

I’m of the opinion, with that out there publicly, if Goff doesn’t improve significantly Detroit will draft a QB. 

I agree with that. Which makes me sad since I don't love this class.  I would rather sign someone as a stop gap or make a move for Watson than draft one if they feel Goff can't win here.  But I would rather Goff play well enough to win a few games and then we let him have one more year.   

• Like 1

I'd like to keep Goff at least one more year. We are not going to get anything for him in a trade and I don't want any of the qb's in this class in the first. The only prospect who wouldn't make me vomit this year would be Matt Corral, but it would make me vurp a little.  Now, if any of these guys were in the 3rd or 4th round I'd be more willing to look, but they aren't going to fall that far.

Goff sucks and so do we. I'd like to see if he starts throwing it more than a yard down the field if we had at least sub-average receivers. I think best case scenario with Goff is what he did in LA the last couple of years.

4 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'd like to keep Goff at least one more year. We are not going to get anything for him in a trade and I don't want any of the qb's in this class in the first. The only prospect who wouldn't make me vomit this year would be Matt Corral, but it would make me vurp a little.  Now, if any of these guys were in the 3rd or 4th round I'd be more willing to look, but they aren't going to fall that far.

Goff sucks and so do we. I'd like to see if he starts throwing it more than a yard down the field if we had at least sub-average receivers. I think best case scenario with Goff is what he did in LA the last couple of years.

Agreed, but this staff can't throw away another year completely if they don't trust Goff.  Their careers are on the line too and they hoped he would be serviceable and he hasn't been so far.  I hope he picks it up enough to be at least that.  Cutting him is doable after next year.  And I doubt anyone would trade for him if he doesn't show something the rest of the year.  

TBH, I wouldn't even mind signing Trubisky next year and seeing if he has anything that Nagy wasn't able to tap into.  Try another top pick flop and then try our own after that.  

21 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed, but this staff can't throw away another year completely if they don't trust Goff.  Their careers are on the line too and they hoped he would be serviceable and he hasn't been so far.  I hope he picks it up enough to be at least that.  Cutting him is doable after next year.  And I doubt anyone would trade for him if he doesn't show something the rest of the year.  

TBH, I wouldn't even mind signing Trubisky next year and seeing if he has anything that Nagy wasn't able to tap into.  Try another top pick flop and then try our own after that.  

I actually really like this idea a lot. We've seen a few guys like Fitzpatrick and Foles move around the league and have some levels of success (usually short term) with their teams before moving on. It wouldn't hurt to take a shot at someone else and see if they can improve the position to be a capable bridge starter. 

Campbell and Holmes have 5+ years. I suspect they'll get the full 3 years to make their impact and determine whether the team is moving in the right direction. 

Year 1 - 2021 - Goff

Year 2 - 2022 - Goff/TBD?

Year 3 - 2023 - TBD/Rookie QB <<< Keystone year

Year 4 - 2024 - Rookie QB/TBD

Year 5 - 2025 - Rookie QB/TBD

Year 1 is the tear down/rebuild year; year 2 is adding more pieces and building out the roster but we should be competitive and winning some of those 50/50 games; year 3 is when we have a much more complete roster and the QB is the keystone piece that should take us to the next level, competing for the division title and/or playoffs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I actually really like this idea a lot. We've seen a few guys like Fitzpatrick and Foles move around the league and have some levels of success (usually short term) with their teams before moving on. It wouldn't hurt to take a shot at someone else and see if they can improve the position to be a capable bridge starter. 

Campbell and Holmes have 5+ years. I suspect they'll get the full 3 years to make their impact and determine whether the team is moving in the right direction. 

Year 1 - 2021 - Goff

Year 2 - 2022 - Goff/TBD?

Year 3 - 2023 - TBD/Rookie QB <<< Keystone year

Year 4 - 2024 - Rookie QB/TBD

Year 5 - 2025 - Rookie QB/TBD

Year 1 is the tear down/rebuild year; year 2 is adding more pieces and building out the roster but we should be competitive and winning some of those 50/50 games; year 3 is when we have a much more complete roster and the QB is the keystone piece that should take us to the next level, competing for the division title and/or playoffs. 

I mostly agree with this idea. I think that they have 5-ish years unless something crazy happens, like the team has two winless years or something. 

The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I don't think that they have that strict of a timeline. If they like a QB this year I think that they'll take him. There's always uncertainty surrounding the future draft classes, and you never know when you'll be in position to take someone that you really like again. If they think that Willis or Corral are the answer I think that they take them whether the rest of the team is quite ready or not. If they're not sold then they probably wait another year. 

3 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I mostly agree with this idea. I think that they have 5-ish years unless something crazy happens, like the team has two winless years or something. 

The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I don't think that they have that strict of a timeline. If they like a QB this year I think that they'll take him. There's always uncertainty surrounding the future draft classes, and you never know when you'll be in position to take someone that you really like again. If they think that Willis or Corral are the answer I think that they take them whether the rest of the team is quite ready or not. If they're not sold then they probably wait another year. 

They would have to fall in love with Corral, Willis or someone else to take a QB near the top. With all of the future draft capital they already have, I think they could trade up and get their guy if they really felt the need to do that. I also expect that Sheila would probably want to see a plan more like I'm proposing because she has seen firsthand what happened with Stafford when they couldn't build the team around him. As long as she's committed to a long-term rebuild and they have that certainty, then I feel like this is the way they'll go. Goff has been bad but he has had some flashes here and there and the team is lacking so much in key areas, especially at WR.