Post game Thoughts- Panthers.

cconocool

37 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This has always been the way Zimmer has coached. When the team gets a lead, he throttles down, supposedly to limit mistakes. Zimmer has always lacked the willingness to go for the knockout.

They could get away with it when the defense was a lockdown unit. But with the defense still prone to lapses, they need to just let the offense swing away. 

The last two games, it seems like there's an issue with the defense letting up, which hasn't always been an issue for Zimmer's teams.  The last two games were borderline dominant defensively until the last 5 minutes, when they gave up multiple scores.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

When you play with this mentality, even a Sam Darnold with a terrible receiving corps can come back into the game. The secondary needs a major overhaul. The only worthwhile players appear to be Smith, Woods and Alexander. Maybe Peterson as a 1 year stop gap. CB is likely the top need assuming MN is picking around 16.

Isn't Peterson the best player of this group right now? I'm not breaking down film, but that's my impression.

Just now, Worm Guts said:

The last two games, it seems like there's an issue with the defense letting up, which hasn't always been an issue for Zimmer's teams.  The last two games were borderline dominant defensively until the last 5 minutes, when they gave up multiple scores.

I don’t think it’s the defense letting up. They simply aren’t good when they have to make a stop. 

it’s the offense that is letting up and the intentional throttling down and forcing the run. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I don’t think it’s the defense letting up. They simply aren’t good when they have to make a stop. 

it’s the offense that is letting up and the intentional throttling down and forcing the run. 

The end of halfs has been an issue all year. There seems to be something going on when the Vikings are trying to prevent big plays. Especially the last two weeks, they were really good until they needed to be.

The 4th down conversions were frustrating on the game-tying drive. It was shades of Seattle all over again.

Really thought Zimmer should have been aggressive and went for it on 4th and 4, Joseph misses the 50 yarder to make it 31-17. He makes that, or we convert 4th and 4, and the game is essentially over. I think Zimmer even made a comment about the wind being pretty bad, so why not go for it if that was his thought?

Agree with those about the lack of a killer instinct. These last two weeks should not have ended the way they did. BYE week couldn't have come at a better time.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

1 week Breeland barely played,  but according to this he has actually played quite a bit better the last few weeks.  It's a small sample size but hopefully it just took him a few weeks to get comfortable in the system. 

That or we played Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold and Jared Goff weeks 4-6. Lower level QB play should correlate to better secondary play, I’d hope.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That or we played Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold and Jared Goff weeks 4-6. Lower level QB play should correlate to better secondary play, I’d hope.

True but that's a pretty drastic change. I don't think he's going to be a shutdown corner but I don't think he needs to be run out of town like a lot of people want

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

1 week Breeland barely played,  but according to this he has actually played quite a bit better the last few weeks.  It's a small sample size but hopefully it just took him a few weeks to get comfortable in the system. 

Or, statistics lie.

Maybe it's a bit of both? We've talked at length on this forum about how difficult Zimmer's system is for DBs, and that it takes time and discipline to really get the hang of it. Maybe playing lesser QBs has given Breeland a chance to have the game slow down a bit and build confidence? My guess is he's somewhere in between, and not either/or.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Well Peterson is going on IR, so I guess we'll really get to see how far Breeland has come in the next few weeks...

Dantler is about to really get tested this week too. Lamb, Cooper & Dak -- I'm afraid that they're going to make our secondary look pretty bad. We'd better get lights out play from our offense to win this game.

1 hour ago, babababa said:

Dantler is about to really get tested this week too. Lamb, Cooper & Dak -- I'm afraid that they're going to make our secondary look pretty bad. We'd better get lights out play from our offense to win this game.

We'll be coming off our bye, so hopefully the extra time will give them time to come up with a gameplan to keep things in check. Dallas is going to put up a lot of yards, regardless. So I think they should focus on letting them chew up yards between the 20s, but really focus on keeping things out of the endzone. Frankly, they should ensure that they don't get beat deep. Give up some 20 and 30 yard completions that don't go for touchdowns. Suck them into a shorter field, lock down, make them kick field goals.  "Bend, don't break" should be the order of the day. If we don't turn the ball over, we can move it on the Cowboys Defense. 

• Like 1