The Good, the Bad the Ugly vs. the Donkeys

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I was highly critical of Abram but can't argue Bradley and Milus made him do a complete 180 and he's playing great. Much more in control and disciplined. 

That’s the thing. He’s always had talent but he hasn’t always had coaching. I haven’t seen him run out of his zone once.

He’s always made plays but what I was looking for this year was him eliminating the stupid stuff

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Not really sure about that, the playcalling seemed much less predictable to me. Lovely screen and when we run I feel is just as important as how much we ran. Under Gruden it was so obvious the situations we were going to run, the defence can key on that and makes it much easier to defend. I really liked the RB screen which worked really well and I would like to see us do a designed QB run now and again, maybe roll Carr out and have him scramble for 5 or 6 just to keep the D honest. Some things still to work on but pleased with how we went in offence. Looked organised, efficient and well designed. 

Here’s the thing: I actually understand that perspective but

1. they ran a screen last week

2. The Browns titans and the Vikings also run at predictable times like first down The only difference is they block so it looks better. Like yesterday no one can deny me that the Oline had their best run blocking and pass blocking days of the whole season yesterday

Every play looks like a better idea when it’s executed well

3. my original argument Is that the whole Gruden is a conservative play caller stigma is overrated. And the stats and percentage of type plays called supports that.

Edited by Jeremy408

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boltbeat.com/posts/la-chargers-training-camp-brandon-facyson-start/amp

it was interesting what The charger still have him going into the season and how much he played yesterday out of nowhere.

I wonder how he ended up on the practice squad in the first place

I'm pretty sure it was injury stuff with him. He had some issues with it at V-Tech and never really seemed to rebound fully. Wound up being mostly a ST guy for the Chargers. Then it just became a numbers game. Harris, Davis, Samuel, Smith, Campbell, Hall. Younger, more experienced, bigger investment, etc. Few things played into it overall. 

Glad we plucked him. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm pretty sure it was injury stuff with him. He had some issues with it at V-Tech and never really seemed to rebound fully. Wound up being mostly a ST guy for the Chargers. Then it just became a numbers game. Harris, Davis, Samuel, Smith, Campbell, Hall. Younger, more experienced, bigger investment, etc. Few things played into it overall. 

Glad we plucked him. 

For him to come in at the end of the week and play as many snaps as he did at the level he did. It’s very hard for me to understand why he was on the practice squad.

Then I hear that he was actually battling Asante Samuel Junior(Who I thought was a shoo-in to start for them) how do you go from that to the practice squad?

But yeah glad we got him

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

He hasn't played on defense since week 3. Only ST. Same with Deablo.

Didnt' really have much expectations for Deablo but liked what I saw from Tyree. Obviously he's a work in progress so I'm not putting a ton of weight into this now but would like to see him out there getting reps when ready. Thanks for the info.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I thought of this yesterday after seeing Leavitt, Facyson, etc getting snaps over him. Does he look that bad in practice!?

It's kinda what prompted my thought as well.  I understand he's a project but w/ a depleted secondary, you would think he'd be seeing the field more to a least get some game reps. 

Looks like he's 5th on the depth chart. Moehrig and Abram are playing every snap with Teamer or Leavitt coming in on some 3 S packages. We'll see if Gillespie starts getting some snaps later in the season.

Facyson is a whole different position so he won't get snaps in front of him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Here’s the thing: I actually understand that perspective but

1. they ran a screen last week

2. The Browns titans and the Vikings also run at predictable times like first down The only difference is they block so it looks better. Like yesterday no one can deny me that the Oline had their best run blocking and pass blocking days of the whole season yesterday

Every play looks like a better idea when it’s executed well

3. my original argument Is that the whole Gruden is a conservative play caller stigma is overrated. And the stats and percentage of type plays called supports that.

Regarding point 1, it's a great playcall at the right time, I don't recall us calling a play similar to that on a down and distance similar, if we have then I stand corrected. I wouldn't want to see it too often though but it's a nice wrinkle. Running a screen every now and then outs doubt in the defences mind and I think we'll see more with Drake in particular.

Regarding point 2, the OL didn't all of a sudden become good run blockers and we didn't suddenly learn to execute perfectly. What I think happened is that we caught them with playaction early and that put doubt in their players and their coaches minds, meaning they were unsure when we were going to run. We mixed the plays up nicely and it wasn't as telegraphed hence the greater success. Under Gruden it was painfully obvious to everyone when we were going to run. Take the big 4th down stop against the Dolphins, what did we do next? Run up the gut for -2, run up the gut for 1 yard, left ourselves in 3rd and long and we fail to convert. Every play was painfully predictable. I'd have loved to see a RB screen or playaction on 1st or 2nd down in that situation and I posted as such during the game. 

Regarding point 3, I actually agree! Gruden had great moments, like in the Chiefs game last year, he just went conservative and (my main gripe) predictable when it was at crucial points. The predictable calls are the main problem as the D knows what's coming. If you're a great running team like the Ravens you can be conservative and dare the other team to stop you, the problem is our OL is a rag tag bunch so we must use the element of surprise a little I feel. Playaction is an obvious thing to use as that plays into our strengths, it's such an obvious tactic for a team like us to use and all of a sudden we do it twice as much and have great success.........

• Like 1