Trade Deadline

Aztec Hammer

This is shocking, but lets keep it in perspective, a QB is not the same as a LB (Collins) coming in mid season just before the trade deadline.  Linebacker is a much easier adjustment to a new scheme.  QB is a terribly huge and hard adjustment.  Had we made the trade, fans would have demanded that he start right away, he would not have had a chance to learn our system, and in 2 weeks fans would be calling for the front office's heads on pikes for wasting a high round 2 pick.  Its not time to panic.  I did however think that Jimmy G was sticking with the Pats and that Brady would be hanging up the cleats.  For that I am shocked.

Just now, mistakey said:

we'll have the 1st overall pick next year....

I understand that. However, which do you see as a more likely recipe for success...drafting one of those guys at 1 or using a 2nd rounder on Jimmy G and using #1 on something else? From all past perceptions, the FO evaluated Jimmy highly. So, unless that’s inaccurate, or they really love a guy in the draft, this is puzzling. If Jimmy ends up sucking, then I’m wrong, and it’s a wasted 2nd. If he’s a franchise QB though, that’s like strike 3 in the past two years on QBs thriving elsewhere. 

Just now, NateDawg said:

I understand that. However, which do you see as a more likely recipe for success...drafting one of those guys at 1 or using a 2nd rounder on Jimmy G and using #1 on something else? From all past perceptions, the FO evaluated Jimmy highly. So, unless that’s inaccurate, or they really love a guy in the draft, this is puzzling. If Jimmy ends up sucking, then I’m wrong, and it’s a wasted 2nd. If he’s a franchise QB though, that’s like strike 3 in the past two years on QBs thriving elsewhere. 

100 million percent using the 1st overall pick on a quarterback

1. what was the last time a New England backup quarterback succeeded outside of NE
2. is Jimmy G guaranteed to come back to CLE?
3. will Jimmy G play on an 0-16 team after he gets franchised? 
4. you get the 1st overall pick and you pass on a stud QB cause you had 8 games and the glowing reports of the media of Jimmy G because you made a desperation move mid season .  The Media has never coached Jimmy G and Bill Belichick just traded his 2nd backup QB in the midst of a playoff run (sure seems like he's confident that he could use Jimmy G in the midst of an injury)

this literally seems like a desperation move solely to win 1 or 2 more games in an already wasted season.

if he's a franchise QB it wont matter because we'll ahve one with the 1st overall pick!

Incredibly accurate QBs with good arms and a lightning quick release are a pretty good bet in the nfl. There’s no way to spin this. We have plenty of picks. Risk a 2nd and a 7th. Franchise him after this year and offer him a big time contract. QBs don’t leave teams unless the team wants them to. 

ok, I think Cousins now stays in Washington (or still goes to San Fran if the Jimmy G thing blows up in their faces, which is possible.).

I am fine with this, in addition to the points from my other post, Jimmy G will get a huge contract, wiping out all of our cap space, as a prospect coming out, he was no better than the top 4 prospects in the 2018 draft.  We should get one of them (hopefully with the Houston pick) on a rookie contract with a 5th year option.  We keep all of our round 2 guys and can be real players in free agency.  Make the trade, we lose a round 2 pick, and won't be much in FA if we could even resign Jimmy G.  We don't know, he may have put out word with his agent that he would not resign with the Browns what so ever.

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Incredibly accurate QBs with good arms and a lightning quick release are a pretty good bet in the nfl. There’s no way to spin this. We have plenty of picks. Risk a 2nd and a 7th. Franchise him after this year and offer him a big time contract. QBs don’t leave teams unless the team wants them to. 

Jimmy G has thrown 94 passes in the NFL.  if you offer him a big time contract and he sucks, you're in the Raiders Jamarcus Russell situation which was pretty much the reason why they literally altered how NFL contracts work.

Or you could get justas good of a prospect with the pick you're pretty much guaranteed to get (now pretty much you are).  you just have to wait 8 more losses, and you DONT give up a 2nd round pick which could be used to improve your team.

Archived