Denver Broncos (the new old browns) @ Cleveland Browns - Thursday, 10/21 - 6:20 Mountain

champ11

4 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Curious, anyone else pessimistic enough to root for Ls?   I can’t stand another week of Klis: 

“I don’t think he’s on the hot seat at all, if season ended today the Broncos are firmly in contention and this staff is still really high on Teddy.”

Dear God. 

Annoying as Klis is, that reflects more on what the coaching staff (or quite possibly the organization at large) is thinking as he's just repeating what they want him to put out there. It's really more of a reflection on just how bad this organization actually is - from Ellis down to the towel boys. 

We might be catching the Browns at a good time with all these injuries.

Our next three games after this are against NFC East teams. We aren't winning in Dallas but both Philly and the Football Team are beatable in Mile High. Win tonight and all of a sudden 6-4 at the bye week is a possibility and the playoff race is firmly back on.

47 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

We might be catching the Browns at a good time with all these injuries.

Our next three games after this are against NFC East teams. We aren't winning in Dallas but both Philly and the Football Team are beatable in Mile High. Win tonight and all of a sudden 6-4 at the bye week is a possibility and the playoff race is firmly back on.

Why would you want to go to the playoffs with this staff and no QB? Now you have to keep the staff and you're out of position to draft a QB.

But let's be real here... this is a 7 team. They'll quit on this staff soon.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Why would you want to go to the playoffs with this staff and no QB? Now you have to keep the staff and you're out of position to draft a QB.

But let's be real here... this is a 7 team. They'll quit on this staff soon.

They may well already have.

But still, it feels like decades ago that Elway was declaring "This one's for Pat" and Jim Nantz was up there asking Peyton if it was his "last rodeo". That day was a little under six years ago, but none of us have seen the Denver Broncos play a playoff game since. I'd love to get back to the playoffs.

Tonight could be an inflection point, one way or another. If we win, Paul could be right given that two of our next three are at home against mediocre teams. If we lose, what BP says is likely, if not assured, that the team will quit and this whole thing will just come apart at the seams. 

If we finish .500ish, and the team isn’t sold before the end of the regular season, I could very easily see the coaching staff and Teddy coming back as Ellis/Elway/Paton might say keep things as is and let the new owner, who should be in place by March, evaluate and make changes if he feels necessary after the 2022 season. 

You won’t make a coaching change in March, even with a new owner. You could, at some point between the Super Bowl and the draft, make a QB change (a trade for Rodgers or Wilson) but if Vic & Co survive the season and Black Monday/Tuesday, they’ll be back in 2022. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

I posted this in the Main Forum GD thread, but figured it belonged here (obviously #5 isn't such a revelation for the Forum here, but too lazy to re-edit lol):

Things to watch for:

1.  Can CLE's OL give help to the RT - Jedrick Wills is playing tonight at LT, that's huge.    But Conklin is likely out for RT.  That means CLE has to scheme help against Von Miller.   Miller's been effective, but double-teams and chips have silenced his production against the sad sack teams in Weeks 1-3.    It's a LOT easier to scheme help to 1 side, though, as @braylon pointed out in the Bets Thread. 

2. Can Keenum & Teddy B throw accurately in bad weather - they're not strong-armed guys.  Keenum was great in 2017 with Stefanski as his OC, but also played 10/16 games at home IIRC (also the 32nd toughest schedule against QB's, a top 10 OL, and a D that only allowed 17 pts per game, so didn't put pressure on the O to produce big points).      Teddy B has definite deep ball issues.    Both secondaries can be exploited in the intermediate-deep areas, but can the QB's manage with the weather?

3.  Watch the run game - I know, I know, Chubb & Hunt are out. D'Ernest Johnson is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade in RB talent.  But here's the thing - the CLE OL is still a great unit without Conklin in run blocking (and pass blocking outside the glaring Von - RT mismatch).    And DEN's run D is decimated with no ILB's there (both starters gone, and top 2 of 3 backups gone as well).    So I expect CLE to still have success running.  On the flip side, rookie RB Javonte Williams is going to be a star if he stays healthy.  Honestly, the coaching staff should be giving him 75 percent of the reps (MG3 is fine but he's not as good as Williams, it's not close).     The DEN OL is struggling in pass pro, but their run game remains effective.    Losing JOK for CLE will hurt.    

4.  Stefanski's management of Keenum vs. Fangio's terrible game management - in DEN, Keenum made at LEAST 4-5 boneheaded decisions/throws a game.   One of Stefanski's greatest achievements in MIN was to scheme the O to limit Keenum's bad decisions/throws.    Can he repeat tonight?   On the flip side, Vic Fangio is just a total disaster in game management - from clock / TO management, to challenges, to decisions on punting/going for it.    And DEN's ST's are a bottom 3 unit.   TO's and the intangibles like ST's and game management mean so much.

5. Players who could pop - D'Ernst Johnson & David Njoku & Donovan Peoples-Jones have the biggest mismatches now for CLE (Austin Hooper could steal snaps from Njoku, but I lean to the athletic mismatches).    On DEN's side, if he plays, Caden Sterns is an emerging presence as a hybrid disruptor in coverage and in run support/blitzing.  Javonte Williams would thrive if they let him take the load at RB.     If it's short passing, watch for Kendall Hinton & Tim Patrick who may surprise if the secondary tries to take Courtland Sutton away.

As for the game - I'm assuming Jarvis Landry & Jedrick Wills Jr. play.   Even if both RB's, Baker & OBJ are out - I think that's enough for CLE to win.  With decent Baker and both T's/Landry, I had this at something like 27-17 CLE.   Now I have it as a toss up - but I'll go 20-17 Browns.   

Edited by Broncofan