Fans vs Bye Week GDT: Playoffs? Dont talk about playoffs. You kidding me (on pg3)....

Matts4313

Romo’s ceiling is still higher than Dak’s but not by much.  I would take Romo’s prime years over where Dak is right now but it’s close.  But if you factor in Romo’s injury history, I think we’d have to give Dak the nod just because we couldn’t trust Romo to be healthy.  If we factor in Romo giving the organization very favorable contracts… I’m back to giving Romo the nod.  

Here’s a discussion I’d like to have in the bye week… where would this team be if we could just get past all the D.A.S.?  D.A.S. Stands for Dumb Arse ****z.  Think about all of the D.A.S this team needs to overcome… turnovers in the red zone, losing the ball on downs on the wrong side of the field, clock management, roughing the kicker after forcing punt, refs missing obvious QB sneak TDs, giving up third and extremely long conversations, missed FGs, missed xtra points, red zone brain farts, connor williams penalties, premature TD celebrations.  How nice would it be to watch a cowboys game without the added stress level of D. A. S.?

Edited by The_Slamman

10 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Here’s a discussion I’d like to have in the bye week… where would this team be if we could just get past all the D.A.S.?  D.A.S. Stands for Dumb Arse ****z.  Think about all of the D.A.S this team needs to overcome… turnovers in the red zone, losing the ball on downs on the wrong side of the field, clock management, roughing the kicker after forcing punt, refs missing obvious QB sneak TDs, giving up third and extremely long conversations, missed FGs, missed xtra points, red zone brain farts, connor williams penalties, premature TD celebrations.  How nice would it be to watch a cowboys game without the added stress level of D. A. S.?

but also how fun has it been watching them overcome these mistakes? granted shooting ourselves in the foot has always been a disaster in previous seasons. its crazy to see this team overcome mistakes and keep grinding. we have some grit with this team 

My answer is yes. While Romo is more talented than Dak, he was very polarizing and initially rubbed people the wrong way (44-6 press conference). While he was magical, it always seemed that he had a dark cloud/black cat that followed him. Bad things would happen to him at the worst of times. The dropped FG, the back injuries, Dez "non" catch, the T.O. & Witten situation, to name a few of them. He just couldn't overcome it. 

With Dak, he is by far the better leader than Romo with better intangibles. While he's less talented than Romo, you get the feeling that the "sky is the limit" with Dak and he's only going to get better. Unlike Romo (who attempted PGA tours and went to Cabo in a bye week), it's clear that Dak's main focus is football.

Dak will surpass Romo in stats before he retires and for the first time in 25 years, he'll lead the Cowboys to an NFC Championship Game.

17 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Romo was Magic. Something truly special to watch. You’d hold your breath with anticipation knowing you are about to witness something spectacular. 

Dak is inevitable. Doubt or deny him all you want and he continues his surgical March. Obliterating history and barriers along the way. 

Romo wasn’t magic. His mental meltdowns were terrible. Much of it was due to him trying to do too much, but a lot of it was also that he was a gunslinger, and they’re typically guys who turn the ball over a lot. That said, he never had the level of talent that Dak does on this team, so it’s possible that he would’ve had a better shot at converting many of his risky throws rather than him throwing the boneheaded INT.

17 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Romo wasn’t magic. His mental meltdowns were terrible. Much of it was due to him trying to do too much, but a lot of it was also that he was a gunslinger, and they’re typically guys who turn the ball over a lot. That said, he never had the level of talent that Dak does on this team, so it’s possible that he would’ve had a better shot at converting many of his risky throws rather than him throwing the boneheaded INT.

...sure. He was spectacular. Both as a failure and as a success. Spectacular doesn't necessitate positive. 

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

That said, he never had the level of talent that Dak does on this team

This gets repeated a lot and I truly dont understand it. From roster top-to-bottom our best teams in the past ~25 years were 2007, 2014, 2016, 2021. You can argue that the next group of great teams were the ~2008-2011 Cowboys. Romo was on almost all those teams (obviously as a back up in 2016 and gone 2021). 

IMO - Romo had the best roster in the entire NFL in 2007, excluding the Pats. Something Dak has never had. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I will always be a huge Romo fan, but when skins dikpic TE explains that you should have just run the ball up 28-0 against Detroit in the 2nd half  and they wouldnt have had time to come back that's not good.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This gets repeated a lot and I truly dont understand it. From roster top-to-bottom our best teams in the past ~25 years were 2007, 2014, 2016, 2021. You can argue that the next group of great teams were the ~2008-2011 Cowboys. Romo was on almost all those teams (obviously as a back up in 2016 and gone 2021). 

IMO - Romo had the best roster in the entire NFL in 2007, excluding the Pats. Something Dak has never had. 

Think our 2019 season really sat poorly with a lot of people. Local media had that team pegged as on par with the four you just listed, talent-wise, and I think that was the sentiment within the front office as well. While Dak and the offense were extremely impressive that year on the whole, there were certainly a number of games (mostly on the road) where they weren't quite what we needed them to be, and people put that on the QB, fairly on not, when there's that much on-paper talent offensively.

IMO, Dak and Romo's careers have kind of followed similar trajectories- immediately come into one of the league's best situations, suffer from overexposure, called "not good enough" and "overrated" and such as the talent around them erodes but people still presume it to be good, steadily improve their game in less ideal condition. It's all just been expedited with Dak. For him to be where he is now at age 28... yeah, sky's the limit.

I think if anything, you could make the case that Dak has had a better OL and a better defense in most of his years than Romo had from 2010-13. But that obscures that Romo was the starting QB for 5 other seasons (6 if you count '15)

On 10/18/2021 at 12:53 PM, Matts4313 said:

Here is our bye week game: I will post a question for you all to debate. After a few days, new question new debate.

Debate topic 1:

zbacqo2wy7u71.jpg?width=646&auto=webp&s=

Has Dak Prescott surpassed Tony Romo in historical rankings? No panzy "not yet, give it time". The ONLY answers are yes or no. 

Follow up question: Where does Dak rank all time in Cowboys history?

My answer to this is:

Yes, Dak has surpassed Tony. I dont have the same emotional investment into Dak as I did Tony, yet, so its hard to say this. But Dak, imo, has played at a consistently higher level than Romo did. Obviously their playstyles are polar opposites, and I truly believe Dak's is better suited for consistent winning. Same reason why I would take Emmitt over Barry. Having a consistent, predictably good presence at QB is such a win.

Question Two:

huahtous680pdjq5eebb

Which Coordinator is doing the best job when you factor in everything. Everything being: Players development, talent level, penalties, being in the "right call at the right time", proper mix of aggressive/conservative schemes, etc.

Edited by Matts4313

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

My answer to this is:

Yes, Dak has surpassed Tony. I dont have the same emotional investment into Dak as I did Tony, yet, so its hard to say this. But Dak, imo, has played at a consistently higher level than Romo did. Obviously their playstyles are polar opposites, and I truly believe Dak's is better suited for consistent winning. Same reason why I would take Emmitt over Barry. Having a consistent, predictably good presence at QB is such a win.

I agree with this. Towards the end of his career, late 2013-2014, Tony changed from being a highly volatile player, to a true maestro who could basically do what he wanted on the field. But unfortunately, it didn’t happen until he was 33/34, and we only got to see one full season of it.

It feel like Dak has really progressed to that point already, at age 28, just conducting the orchestra like a master.

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Question Two:

huahtous680pdjq5eebb

Which Coordinator is doing the best job when you factor in everything. Everything being: Players/talent level, penalties, being in the "right call at the right time", proper mix of aggressive/conservative schemes, etc.

I think, pretty clearly, Bones is #3 in this conversation.

It’s a tough choice between the other two. Dan Quinn is a renaissance man, having totally reinvented himself and is putting his players in position to make plays. The defense is undermanned, but they are holding their own. He’s done a spectacular job, and should get HC consideration this off-season.

But I just can’t go against Kellen Moore. We are the most fun, explosive offense in football. When we absolutely must have it, we almost always get it. We could improve our red zone efficiency, but otherwise, he’s been killing it to the point where, in my opinion, you literally have to do anything you need to keep him.