Game #7 - Sun, Oct 24 @ Tennessee

onejayhawk

I'm going to start with the DL, partly because it has been so erratic so far. Both starting DE have been hurt and the DT have disappointed. The big change has been Mike Danna turning into a solid DE, able to set the edge and still get pressure in pass rush. With Clark starting to play well, our D at least flashed something we want to see.
https://www.yardbarker.com/general_sports/articles/the_chiefs_defensive_line_group_is_about_to_get_interesting/s1_16631_36174263

On to Tennessee.

J

38 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

He's reminding me more and more of a Tamba type of player. Might have some limitations as far as overall talent but he makes up for it by the fact he doesn't seem to ever quit. 

Interesting. He's a lot more athletic than Hali, but also undersized in comparison. Hali was first round, while Danna was third day. Hali excelled at the little things and, as you say, never giving up on a play. Danna has mad hand-fighting skills, but he lacks a goto move. Neither one was particularly twitchy. It's not close, but I can seem some similarities. 

J

32 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Just watched Tennessee beat Buffalo. Man, that Derrick Henry is a monster RB. Chiefs got work to do.

Congrats to the Titans! Great game .

Nice little preview for Reid on how the titans might try to stop Mahomes. Was a pretty good strategy they deployed against young Allen. Big test for the OL against what looks like another stout DL.

Injury reports. Anthony Hitchens is out. Otherwise, everyone practiced, though Tyreek Hill only practiced once and was limited. Julio Jones is questionable but should be able to play. FB Michael Burton is out, so expect Noah Gray and Darrel Williams for cover the position.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/22/22740943/chiefs-vs-titans-final-injury-report-julio-jones-is-questionable-but-sounds-ok-to-play

Chiefs

Player Ps Injury Wed Thu Fri Status
Jody Fortson TE Achilles DNP DNP DNP OUT
Michael Burton FB Pectoral DNP DNP DNP OUT
Anthony Hitchens LB Tricep DNP DNP DNP OUT
Tyreek Hill WR Quad DNP DNP LP QUEST
Charvarius Ward CB Quad LP LP LP QUEST
Joe Thuney OL Hand DNP DNP FP QUEST
Chris Jones DT Hand LP LP FP QUEST
Orlando Brown T Groin FP FP FP -
Trey Smith OL Ankle LP FP FP -
Travis Kelce TE Neck LP LP FP -
Blake Bell TE Back FP FP FP -
Jarran Reed DT Back LP FP FP -
Khalen Saunders DT Ankle FP FP FP -
Chris Lammons CB Shin FP FP FP -
L'Jarius Sneed CB Wrist FP FP FP -
Tyrann Mathieu S Thumb/Toe LP LP FP -

Titans

Player Ps Injury Wed Thu Fri Status
Taylor Lewan T Concussion DNP DNP DNP OUT
Chester Rogers WR Groin DNP DNP DNP OUT
Monty Rice LB Groin LP LP DNP OUT
Bud Dupree OLB Knee   LP DNP QUEST
Jeremy McNichols RB Ankle DNP LP LP QUEST
Julio Jones WR Hamstring DNP LP LP QUEST
Amani Hooker DB Groin     LP QUEST
Rodger Saffold III G Shoulder LP FP FP  
Khari Blasingame FB Shoulder LP FP FP  
Derrick Henry RB Rest   DNP FP  
A.J. Brown WR Illness DNP DNP FP  
Chris Jackson DB Ankle DNP LP FP  
Randy Bullock K Shoulder DNP FP FP  

Edited by onejayhawk

5 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Maybe not so good news for L.Niang? This might short-circuit Niang's expected move to LT ??

Yeah, I just don’t get it. Did this mean we’re moving on from Niang? That’s a pretty big waste, as far as having Remmers start that doesn’t really give me the warm fuzzies.  Time to call up Mitchy the Kid…

Maybe he needs to kinda go back and work on some things for a while with Coach Heck. He's been imo the least of the new 5 so far and while I think he can become a solid caliber player, it might just be to save him in case his confidence was going downhill.

Pretty telling from that link:

"In that fifth game, Niang struggled to contain Buffalo Bills’ edge rushers; he allowed eight quarterback hurries, per PFF. Through five weeks, Niang was tied for the eighth-most pressures allowed by any NFL offensive lineman"

32 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Pretty telling from that link:

"In that fifth game, Niang struggled to contain Buffalo Bills’ edge rushers; he allowed eight quarterback hurries, per PFF. Through five weeks, Niang was tied for the eighth-most pressures allowed by any NFL offensive lineman"

Buffalo has some very good edge rushers so I'd like to see some more context with this. How many makes him tied for 8th most? What's the difference between 8th and, as an example, 15th? Is it one or two pressures? Did most of his pressures come from that one game?