Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

This team has more cap space and draft assets than any other team in the league, clearly they weren't building for this season.  I say clearly because the front office said as much.

The previous regimes whiffed on essentially every pick from 2011-2015 and this regime is paying the price for those blunders. I mean, other teams have viable starters from those years, we have Kirksey, Shelton, and Bitonio.  That's it from the 5 drafts prior to The Nerds.  That's one solid draft for most franchises.

When The Nerds took over they stripped this down as far as possible and we essentially had an expansion team level roster.  

A year and a half isn't going to fix 5 years (being generous) of drafting ineptitude. 

These guys need time to make these picks and then let them develop as well as this isn't a league that rookies dominate.

Probably should have taken Wentz, but let's not pretend like Watson was a sure thing.  I don't mind them choosing to pass on a first round QB last year on what seemed like a lackluster class.  That said, they better hope Rosen or Darnold makes it an easy choice for them next year.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh yeah? 

Please explain. 

He just be making stuff up. Just because Isiah Crowell bunted in the 3rd quarter up by 1 today people are blaming analytics. If we ever faced a left handed QB everyone would complain about the shift we utilize too.

Just now, bananabucket said:

Probably should have taken Wentz, but let's not pretend like Watson was a sure thing.  I don't mind them choosing to pass on a QB last year on what seemed like a lackluster class.  That said, they better hope Rosen or Darnold makes it an easy choice for them next year.

There are no sure things. You select who you think has the best chance, they didn't like Wentz much and I don't think Watson was on many teams radars in the 1st round. We wanted Goff in 2016 and reports were that we wanted Mahomes at 12.

1 minute ago, bananabucket said:

Probably should have taken Wentz, but let's not pretend like Watson was a sure thing.  I don't mind them choosing to pass on a QB last year on what seemed like a lackluster class.  That said, they better hope Rosen or Darnold makes it an easy choice for them next year.

I don't disagree with this.

That said, taking a D2 qb with the second pick and adding him to a roster with ZERO talent is like going all in on the first hand of a poker game.  Can it work? Absolutely. Do you regret it when you miss an opportunity? Yep. Is it always the smart play? IDK...

Wentz has been fantastic, but something tells me he wouldn't look as good throwing to Kenny Britt and Ricardo Louis. 

They do need to quit punting the qb decision and take the best guy they can this April or hope Cousins takes pity on them in FA.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

At least there is a end goal with this regime and a plan. Other regimes operated off of signing a bunch of aging veteran stop gap players to 'my last paycheck' deals just to go 5-11 every year with no plan or end goal in sight.

What is the end goal? To keep acquiring more picks and assets? 

16 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Probably should have taken Wentz, but let's not pretend like Watson was a sure thing.  I don't mind them choosing to pass on a first round QB last year on what seemed like a lackluster class.  That said, they better hope Rosen or Darnold makes it an easy choice for them next year.

Watson at 13 was a more sure thing than Wentz at 2.  IIRC they offered a pretty big package for Garopollo and NE declined so it's not like they're hoarding picks for the he'll of it.  They need another year.

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

What is the end goal? To keep acquiring more picks and assets? 

Yes, kinda?

I mean, they selected 3 guys in the first round last season so it's not like they aren't using them.

But yeah, they want as many picks as possible.  Their philosophy is that even the best GM's only hit on 50% of their picks, so in order to improve their roster at a quicker rate than others they either have to hit on a significantly higher percentage of picks, which isn't statistically likely, OR draft more often. They've chosen the latter.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yes, kinda?

I mean, they selected 3 guys in the first round last season so it's not like they aren't using them.

But yeah, they want as many picks as possible.  Their philosophy is that even the best GM's only hit on 50% of their picks, so in order to improve their roster at a quicker rate than others they either have to hit on a significantly higher percentage of picks, which isn't statistically likely, OR draft more often. They've chosen the latter.

I guess I just don't view acquiring as many draft assets as possible as an end goal. That's more of a "lets keep pushing this off and hope we hit on something".

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

8 weeks ago, people were calling them smart. Let's wait and see what comes of this. It's clear they're tanking right now.

Clear theyre tanking?

I mean, I agree this regime should get more time, but they are horribly coached and severely lacking talent outside of maybe the front 7 and Oline.    They arent tanking, they are just a very bad football team right now.   

Just now, ILoveTheVikings said:

I guess I just don't view acquiring as many draft assets as possible as an end goal. That's more of a "lets keep pushing this off and hope we hit on something".

They've drafted like 24 dudes and 4 first rounders in 2 years, it's not as if they're pushing everything off. They have 5 more first and second rounders this year and I'll be shocked if they don't move down with that second first, if able, for 2019 picks.

Theyve kicked the can at qb though, no doubt.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Clear theyre tanking?

I mean, I agree this regime should get more time, but they are horribly coached and severely lacking talent outside of maybe the front 7 and Oline.    They arent tanking, they are just a very bad football team right now.   

Yep, they're tanking. Look at all the future draft picks they acquired this off-season. Look at the players they cut (including Joe Haden). They're not trying to win this year.

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Yeah, Browns have had numerous years with multiple high draft picks.    They have botched most of them except Joe Thomas and they basically were gifted Myles Garrett.     I know alot of those other picks came under a different regime, but its not like this one has proven to be any better thus far.

Archived