Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Clear theyre tanking?

I mean, I agree this regime should get more time, but they are horribly coached and severely lacking talent outside of maybe the front 7 and Oline.    They arent tanking, they are just a very bad football team right now.   

The absurd amount of cap space would at least indicate that if they aren't tanking, they sure as hell aren't trying too hard to win in 2017.

They deserve more time before you can really make a judgment.  At some point though, you have to see some kind of progress.  You can't just spend every offseason stockpiling picks and money.  Young players (other than the truly great ones ie. young Calvin Johnson) are going to have a hard time getting better if the team around them sucks.

To get outscored by nearly 300 points and have only 1 win in 1 year and 1/2 is bad.  There will come a time when you can no longer excuse that kind of ineptitude.  

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yep, they're tanking. Look at all the future draft picks they acquired this off-season. Look at the players they cut (including Joe Haden). They're not trying to win this year.

I do agree jhey arent focused on winning this year.   But tanking usually implies a team is losing on purpose, and I dont think thats the case.  They are just terrible, and would be terrible regardless who they put out there.

The coaching hasn’t looked great but the team is definitely more talented than it has been in the past IMO. 

I think you have to give the FO another year after this one. Let them get their QB (it was never going to be Kizer). The Browns have been so bad for so long, it takes a while to build. Plus, they aren’t really sacrificing much to wait one more year.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I do agree jhey arent focused on winning this year.   But tanking usually implies a team is losing on purpose, and I dont think thats the case.  They are just terrible, and would be terrible regardless who they put out there.

The players aren't tanking, but the FO is.

1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

At this point, it's very difficult to argue against it.  But, to be fair, they were handed the worst situation in the league due to the ineptitude of the previous GM.  I'd say it was worse when they drafted Manziel AFTER they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a study that told them that they should take..... Teddy Bridgewater

I'd say drafting Manziel in the first was rock bottom. Now they're trying the Phiadelphia 76ers approach. #TrustTheProcess

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The absurd amount of cap space would at least indicate that if they aren't tanking, they sure as hell aren't trying too hard to win in 2017.

I guess it just depends how you define tanking.

Again, I agree they are more focused on the future than they are on winning immediately, which is why Ive said they should get a few more years.

But I dont know if Id label it "tanking"...but we might just be arguing semantics here.

Even if you consider they just have a bad team and are losing games because of it, that's pretty much a good definition of tanking, when they could have clearly made things different by investing draft picks and cap space to be better this season.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

The players aren't tanking, but the FO is.

Okay...Im not going to argue that too much.   I dont know if Id call it tanking as much as Id call it focusing in the future.   Still, after two years, outside of a few positions, they dont look any better and in many cases, look worse.   Thats the main thing that would concern me.....but we will see how some of these players progress.   

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'd say drafting Manziel in the first was rock bottom. Now they're trying the Phiadelphia 76ers approach. #TrustTheProcess

Keep in mind Cam Erving came after JFF.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse as a Browns fan, I saw Cam Erving try to block people.

cam-heyward-cam-erving.gif?w=1000 

This gif never gets old.

Probably not. The Mike Pettine/Ray Farmer combination was disgusting.

But this regime is pretty darn close. This regime has actually hit on some players, but they don't appear to know how to build a TEAM. There was no reason to believe we could be successful this year with the offense they constructed and a hilariously young defense.

No GM could be worse than Ray Farmer though. Our current regime is terrible in free agency. Farmer was bad at FA and the draft.

27 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

What is the end goal? To keep acquiring more picks and assets? 

To acutally build with youthful talent in the draft instead of signing 30 year old has-been players like Paul Kruger, Donte Whitner, Carlos Dansby and Dwayne Bowe to good money deals that just get you to a perennial 4-12 or 5-11 record every season which is worse than just tanking for a top 2 pick.

I think it comes down to whether or not they hit on all of these picks that they have made, and it's far too early to tell that. If they bust on the majority of these picks in 16/17/18, and have passed on multiple franchise quarterbacks (too early to tell if they are franchise quarterbacks, but the early results are promising) in guys like Wentz, Watson, and heck, even Dak (they did take Kessler a round before), then I would think they are just because of the leash they were given and the entirety of their fail. But still too early to tell on that. 

Archived