Week 7 GDT - Indianapolis Colts at San Francisco 49ers: The revenge of Jimmy G

J-ALL-DAY

I don't know if you can call a game a must win in week 7, but I honestly believe it is. With the Cardinals/Rams coming up in back to back weeks, getting wins over the Colts and Bears is crucial. You beat both those two teams and split vs the Cards/Rams and you are in really good shape to make the playoffs with the schedule getting easier.

This team is usually money on Sunday nights but it is hard to be confident in this offense from what we have seen thus far. I will say, some of the reactions are definitely overboard as this team has been in every single game this season. None of the teams have outclassed us and we have had plenty of shots to win but the offense continues to fail.

Speaking of the offense, looks like Jimmy will be back as the starter and Hasty will be back. I think Hasty is the explosive back that compliments Mitchell well. Mitchell looked really solid vs the Cards but Hasty is more explosive and can break off more 10+ yard runs and that is desperately needed. This will be another week without Kittle but as we saw vs the Cards, that doesn't necessarily mean that Aiyuk will be featured more. I'm very interested in seeing if Shanny tries to manufacture some touches for him early on to get him going as that has not happened this year. I'm expecting Deebo to get the ball early and often on jet sweeps and bubble screens. The Colts defense is playing better as of late so this will be no easy task. And our guy Buckner will be returning going up against Brunskill so we know how that will go...unfortunately lol.

Defensively, the run defense will have to be strong to prevent any deep shots from Wentz and the boys. Wentz has been airing it out deep with great success the last two weeks. I believe he is something like 5-6 or 6-7 on passes traveling 20+ yards. And like usual, he targets the left sideline so Norman will have to be alert all game and defend the deep ball. He has done a good job of that so far. Ford will need to get plenty of time again this game and will need to get to Wentz. He's only played 89 snaps in 5 games and that's just not enough. Sure he has great pressure/sack rates, but clearly the pass rush is not the same when he is not in the game. If the defense plays like they have the last few weeks, we should be fine but no doubt the Colts are playing their best ball of the season on both sides of the ball.

I don't feel good about this game at all but think Shanny will have a great game plan and the offense does better in the first half and hold off the Colts.

SF 27

IND 23

Lynch interview with Maoccio made it sound like Banks would start soon. Wonder if they bench Brunskill this week. 

Another note Dwelley could not run block to save his life vs the cards. Curious if we see more Charlie Woerner. 

I just have a feeling we are going to blow out the colts. But I'm going to stay conservative and go 49ers 31-24. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Reich has been brutal this year. Taylor should have a field day, but I'm not sure if they'll actually give him the ball

Our run defense has been MONEY the prior two games but I agree that Taylor should have a good amount of success. They were not going to him at all to start the Texans game but when they did, he was awesome. 

Game will come down to Wentz's deep shots and if we can stop them or not. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our run defense has been MONEY the prior two games but I agree that Taylor should have a good amount of success. They were not going to him at all to start the Texans game but when they did, he was awesome. 

Game will come down to Wentz's deep shots and if we can stop them or not. 

I missed pretty badly with Taylor. Was not a fan of his as a prospect. Thought he was very over hyped

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

This says a lot about the quality of our right guard position. 

Hopefully this just means Banks had a tough time learning the playbook or something and is finally putting it together. It would be huge for us to have a good interior lineman on this team. It'd also be great to have Dan Brunskill back into that swing player for our O-Line when injuries come up. 

• Like 1

Kinda meshes with what i'm seeing; we're a solid team with some bad breaks. Main issue is we've faced 3 of the best QB's in the league (Rodgers, Wilson, Murray) and are -4 in TO differential. Despite that, we've lost those 3 games by a combined 16 points. 

But of course, at some point the breaks need to start going our way

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I'm comfortable in saying that while I am happy and entertained to watch the 49ers week to week, I have no remaining expectations of must-wins or playoff euphoria.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47agxc5opldfzhb89dhh

This. NOTHING about this team excites me or has me waiting anxiously for six days to see more. We're comptent most of the time but we just haven't looked like a team who could get into the playoffs and go on a run. Neither side of the ball has shown me much. It's still alot of football left to be played but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Kinda meshes with what i'm seeing; we're a solid team with some bad breaks. Main issue is we've faced 3 of the best QB's in the league (Rodgers, Wilson, Murray) and are -4 in TO differential. Despite that, we've lost those 3 games by a combined 16 points. 

But of course, at some point the breaks need to start going our way

Will need to start forcing more turnovers though.

Some breaks will start going our way but there are flaws on this team no doubt. The team is not executing and taking advantage of their opportunities. This team can easily go on a four game win streak or can continue its struggling play. Need to get it together ASAP. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/10/19/atmospheric-river-storms-to-soak-bay-area-northern-california-biggest-in-9-months/

But another big one shaping up for Sunday night was upgraded to a category 5 on Tuesday, the highest in a five-level scale. 

HUGE storm coming in Sunday night

Colts DL is very stout, especially on the interior, its going to be pouring.... Jimmy is going to turn the ball over multiple times, isn't he?? smh. 

Edited by N4L