Week 7 GDT - Indianapolis Colts at San Francisco 49ers: The revenge of Jimmy G

J-ALL-DAY

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Bennett, the guy who was labeled a quitter by his teammates on the Packers is credible? :)

There was absolutely a reason that my post was centered around the Seattle game this year, rather than about what happened in NE. I don't view Bennett as an infallible source, but there were certainly parallels between the two stories that gives it some amount of credibility. 

I did see an old injury report that had JG listed as questionable but expected to play on Friday before the game Bennett was referencing. Jacoby was on it as well. Bennett said Jacoby "strapped it up" aka he played through the pain because the team needed him. Bennett basically insinuated that JGs agent told him not to play so that he wouldn't put any bad film out there because they were thinking about getting paid. 

JG literally got stepped on by a defensive lineman and decided he couldn't finish a game against a division rival, in a game where the rest of the team was dominating. If we had any amount of competent QB play in that game, we win by multiple scores. Should have been 17-7 or 24-7 at halftime with the way the defense was dominating and how bad Seattle's defense is

We have no idea as to how the events in regards to Jimmy's injury transpired in the locker room. Or what was said. Or how his injury felt/progressed, let alone what's inside his head or the coaches for that matter

We know that Kyle didn't know JG wasnt going to play until immediately before the second half started. We know that he made his halftime adjustments etc with the understanding JG was gonna play.

I was simply drawing the obvious parallels between the two stories

I watched kittle get a hospital pass from JG and land extremely awkwardly on his leg. I thought his season was over. I watched him go to the sideline and waive away the trainers through my binoculars. I watched him tough it out for the rest of the game. I watched JG stand around, making jokes and laughing on the sideline while we were losing and guys like Warner were absolutely ticked off. 

Now kittle is on IR. It was clearly a legit injury, but he played and there was no one who could tell him he couldn't play.

So I think based on those inputs we can extrapolate that it wasn't the trainers who kept JG from playing in the second half. Ultimately it was JGs decision to sit it out. 

Maybe the kittle comparison is a bad example because maybe kittle made his injury worse, who knows. I am simply trying to highlight the stark differences between these two guys. Kittle is the ultimate competitor. Can we say the same thing about JG???

If you are a super competitive head coach, and your QB gets hurt? Ok, next man up, lets go try and win. But when you learn later that it was just a bruise and it happened when he got stepped on, how do you think you would feel about it? Id be pretty disappointed he didn't finish the game. 

So no, we don't know exactly exactly what happened, but we know enough to make the Bennett story more than plausible 

And players worked out on their own after the Super Bowl...which was also when COVID-19 came to town and everything was nutty???

Everything was shut down. There was nothing to do except work on your craft. JGs footwork regressed significantly last year and he was sloppy from day one. 

I don't know how anyone can look at that and say he put in the work on his own. 

It's a pattern at this point. He's absurdly inconsistent. He's a limited, game manager type who turns the ball over and makes juuuuuust enough "big plays" to leave you wanting more. There's been some obvious things to improve upon, but instead he's regressed in those areas. Guys who work their tails off don't get worse with regards to their footwork. 

I get it. It's frustrating that our highly paid prized fighter didn't work out. It sucks to see him having seizures in the pocket or throwing ducks into coverage when he looked so promising before. But I don't see what there is to gain by grasping at straws in an attempt to deduce that Jimmy was a selfish prick all along, and we're all victims for believing in him in the first place. It didn't work out, and no one is to blame. He looked good at first, but then fell off. It's that simple

He either fooled us/the team, or he regressed. 

He got paid, got comfortable, got sloppy, and will inevitably get replaced

I dont want to seem like I'm saying he's a bad dude or that I'm blaming him for our problems, but he IS part of the problem right now and as 1/32 in the world who does your job, you are going to get scrutinized 

Kyle wanted to replace him with a vet. Stafford chose LA over us. Lance will be good but I wish we would have just committed to him in the off-season. 

don't get me wrong, I'm really rooting for JG to have some great games, but it's feeling less and less likely as time goes on and the Seattle game was the final nail in the coffin for me. 

GO NINERS 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

Bill Belichick on Jimmy G after he was traded to the 49ers. This was a prepared statement to them media after the trade was finalized. And no it wasn't "coach speak" because it doesn't align with a conspiracy we want to believe in: 

“First of all, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jimmy,” Belichick said Tuesday. “I couldn’t ask him to give more than he’s given us. The 49ers are getting a good player. They’re getting a good person, and they’re getting a great teammate, and they’re getting a good quarterback and Jimmy’s getting a good coach.

“His career is moving forward. He’s a talented individual. He was a great person to coach. I met with him weekly, and again have a tremendous amount of respect for him. But as his career moves forward, we have to look to our team both this year and beyond.”

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/31/bill-belichick-praises-talented-jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-are-getting-a-good-quarterback/

So that's that. But are we gonna go with Bennett who has been labeled a quitter by his Packers teammates, and already got a bad reputation in Chicago and Dallas for a couple of incidents that question his character/willingness to win? Why put credence in anything he has to say at this point? And as far as that situation in New England, it could have very well been day to day with the coaching staff, and at the last minute they decided to go with Brissett. Again, the source is extremely suspect and you're drawing parallels from a story that may not be close to the truth at all...regarding Jimmy's injury, conversations Jimmy had with others, or anything else with that situation. 

As far as the Seattle game, you said "we know...", but actually we don't know exactly what was said and how the injury situation progressed as time went on amongst closed doors. Unless you have a transcript? Jimmy got **** last year for playing through injury from the peanut gallery also. Perhaps this time he thought the team would be better suited at winning a game without his hobbled leg slowing the offense down? Who knows how the conclusion was made. As far as Kittle and Jimmy are concerned...I don't see why someone's character is extrapolated based on how well their body holds up. No fan knows how someone's injury is feeling and to just judge from what you see on your telecast is crazy. Jimmy didn't ask to be made of glass. 

Jimmy has gotten worse. That doesn't mean he didn't try to put in the work to improve, and it simply didn't work out/his athleticism failed despite his best efforts. I always feel this is a huge disconnect with fans observing from their couch, instead of being there at a facility day in and day out observing said player perform. Heck, no beat reporter (Cohn doesn't count) or fellow teammate from what I recall has questioned Jimmy's work ethic or desire to improve while he's been a 49er. This is a guy who took it upon himself to get with Mike Shanahan in the offseason and study film. This is a guy who could have stomped his feet and demanded a trade knowing the 49ers were going to acquire his replacement, but decided to just ask if he'd be able to compete for a job instead. This is a guy who E Sanders unprompted mentioned was a very hard worker. No slick remarks from the HC in pressers or any of that sort in regards to his attitude/desire to win. 

Improving your craft as an NFL football player doesn't necessarily work like an equation. Brandon Aiyuk has apparently worked hard, but has gotten worse after his rookie season, and he wouldn't be the first even just receiver for that to happen to after showing promise. He might never get better. Do we question his work ethic now because of the lack of results on the field? Lynch said he's been working hard. Or is it possible to still put in the time, and the results don't work out in your favor? Were you there literally following Jimmy as he did or didn't do his routine day in and day out? There isn't always a liner progression like in Madden. Sometimes even after moving heaven and earth, one's skills can get worse as a professional athlete for various reasons beyond one's control. Just because someone sucks doesn't also mean they aren't putting their best foot forward. A contingent of people always want to find "meaning" in various aspects of life to explain away a problem, and reality sometimes just isn't like that. There isn't always answers or someone to blame for things going wrong. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

@N4Lthere are a million reasons you can criticize Jimmy for, but saying he didn't want to play any longer because his "leg got stepped on" is being disingenuous. He had a calf contusion and strain and could not push off his leg. The balls started to float more and he threw some passes essentially flat footed. Lance said they knew right away when he came to the sidelines that his calf was starting to swell. 

Nothing was going to prepare Lance and the offense for that moment. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

As much as I've critiqued Jimmy to the high heavens, I've always stopped short of saying he doesn't want it bad enough or question his work ethic. I've always felt like he needed competition because frankly he hadn't been good enough to be 'the man' unequivocally. But you don't get to be where he is with a questionable work ethic imo. Especially being from a small school and not having the crutch of being a Top 5 pick to fall back on. There's SOOOOOO much that goes into being a capable starting QB in the NFL. I would never say he just doesn't work hard enough on his game. Sometimes you just are what you are...in totality. 

I'm sure most ppl on this forum thought that Jimmy was well on his way to superstardom after those last 5 games in 2017. He looks like a shell of that version of himself, for whatever reason. Even though over time, you could start to really see his warts and how defenses could stifle him. So he really never took that next step. He wouldn't be the first. But I don't think it's something you could just chalk up to work ethic. If it were that simple, there's absolutely no way he would still be here imo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

As much as I've critiqued Jimmy to the high heavens, I've always stopped short of saying he doesn't want it bad enough or question his work ethic. I've always felt like he needed competition because frankly he hadn't been good enough to be 'the man' unequivocally. But you don't get to be where he is with a questionable work ethic imo. Especially being from a small school and not having the crutch of being a Top 5 pick to fall back on. There's SOOOOOO much that goes into being a capable starting QB in the NFL. I would never say he just doesn't work hard enough on his game. Sometimes you just are what you are...in totality. 

I'm sure most ppl on this forum thought that Jimmy was well on his way to superstardom after those last 5 games in 2017. He looks like a shell of that version of himself, for whatever reason. Even though over time, you could start to really see his warts and how defenses could stifle him. So he really never took that next step. He wouldn't be the first. But I don't think it's something you could just chalk up to work ethic. If it were that simple, there's absolutely no way he would still be here imo.

Remember how good Kyle Allen looked two years to start the season before falling apart? It's not as simple as the QB regressing as much as it is teams having enough film on you to game plan for you. The truly great QBs or even top 10 level QBs will be good regardless because of their talent and ability to adjust. But everyone else will see a drop off or have inconsistent play. Jimmy with the injuries may have lost something but he was a late 2nd rounder that has gone to play at the level you would expect him to play at. Actually, probably better when you compare him to others taken around his slot. Jimmy was never seen as a supreme talent coming out of Northern Illinois. 

The season along with the 2020 season has been very frustrating so I get all the blowback the team is getting. But no need to go overboard here lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Night and Day difference.

9 hours ago, Hopper15 said:

I may just DVR this game and watch it another day. Not much to look forward to between injuries derailing another season and most of the 2021 draft class not playing.

The weather is slated to be very bad anyway. Heavy rain. Will probably be a tough one to watch live. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Unsure if I'll watch. Bought a new house, been moving in all weekend. Will still have more to do tomorrow

Congrats on the new house!!!

I'll likely be at the game....A game where it's going to be pretty terrible being at with the rain SMH...If we lose on top of the crappy weather?????? Yikes! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@N4Lthere are a million reasons you can criticize Jimmy for, but saying he didn't want to play any longer because his "leg got stepped on" is being disingenuous. He had a calf contusion and strain and could not push off his leg. The balls started to float more and he threw some passes essentially flat footed. Lance said they knew right away when he came to the sidelines that his calf was starting to swell. 

Nothing was going to prepare Lance and the offense for that moment. 

Youre right, it is absolutely disingenuous to just say he got stepped on.  The injury was affecting him but he also threw a very bad interception early in the game. Turned it over within FG range and the defense forced some negative plays and backed the seahawks out of FG range. Didnt technically cost the team any points, but damn. It was a really bad turnover and hes thrown the exact same int on multiple occasions. He cant blame that on the calf. 

What I am saying is that he looked sharp on the first drive, but then he got shook. He was not comfortable at all inside the pocket and the entire offense fell apart because of it. He was able to move around enough to dip under a sack and make a good throw, but then shortly after he says he cant continue to play. 

So I guess I am pretty ticked off at how gunshy he looked. Yeah, he was in pain, but this is the NFL and there will always be pain. His leg was bothering him and he suddenly didnt trust his legs at all. Everything fell apart even though it was just a contusion. That is why this whole thing feels more psychological than physical to me. I know I am not him and I dont really know the ins and outs of it because I am not there, but based on the information available to me, thats my take. He looked very gunshy and it was mostly mental. It fits with a lot of other things weve seen from him so there is enough smoke to call it a fire. He knows he has no more guaranteed money left on his deal

When I saw Lance start the second half I didnt know Jimmy was hurt, I thought we benched Garoppolo. It was clear he was off his game. I understand he is claiming the calf contusion was the root cause, but I think it is soo much more with him. 

Edited by N4L