Derrick Henry 4 MVP

biggie.

32 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

How do his first 6 years stack up with AP?

ask and ye shall receive:

Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
1 Derrick Henry 2016 2021 16.0 79.1 0.8 1.1 9.9 0.0
2 Adrian Peterson 2007 2012 19.7 99.4 0.9 2.0 17.1 0.0

Bulk stats:

Passing Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Derrick Henry 2016 2021 47 84   2 3 66.7 14 0 77.1 8 0 0 0 4.7 4.67 4.67 4.67 1344 6643 65 4.9 99 92 830 3 9.0 75
2 Adrian Peterson 2007 2012 79 89   0 0   0 0 .0 0 0 0 0         1754 8849 76 5.0 82 177 1526 4 8.6 63

AP definitely better.

• Like 4

Feel like Henry is getting a bit disrespected in this thread. I think if you gave his workload to 2 JAGs the run game numbers nosedive from near the top to middle of the pack. He’s not a back that’s consistently getting 5 yard carries and piling them on to get his big numbers (which to me would be more indicative of great OL play). He’s a homerun threat in ways only a few RBs are. So when his does OL does dominate on a particular play, he makes the D pay.

Just look at his yards after contact numbers, they’re absurd year after year. His 2nd level and open field ability isn’t going to be mirrored by many. More valuable than top QBs? Of course not, but there is definitely real value in being  an all time great runner even in this era. 2-3 wins worth I’d say.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Feel like Henry is getting a bit disrespected in this thread. I think if you gave his workload to 2 JAGs the run game numbers nosedive from near the top to middle of the pack. 

The above can be true, but the bottom is absolutely wrong. There is no correlation between rushing yardage and wins. None for YPC and wins. None for anything a RB does and wins. 

RBs have a neutral impact on games as a whole. Their measurable impact on winning simply comes down to short yardage and ability to run out clock with positive plays. Obviously blitz pick up and other things a RB does are not actually measured (or at least, not commonly measured). 

2-3 wins worth I’d say.

12 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

If Henry breaks 2K again, those clowns better do the right thing and give him the MVP. (Unless Lamar continues to go nuts, of course)

They robbed Henry last year.

It shocks me that people can be dedicated members of this site for years and still think bulk rushing totals are something worth bragging about. Rushing for 2k yards is a useless milestone that is only good for bragging rights. As the old expression states "its about as useless as a boobs on a bull".

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

Honestly, the tunneling in on QB here for MVP is laughable from this website. Do we know how important QBs are in this league? Absolutely we do. Is it possible for someone on another team to have a somewhat bigger impact than that of a QB? Yes, and we are seeing it with Derrick Henry.

Speaking of QB's, Tannehill has been less than stellar this year and that's what makes this all the more impressive. We know the weapons that Tennessee has at their disposal with those 2 wide receivers, but neither of them have been overly tremendous so far this year. You know who has? Derrick Henry.

If you take Derrick Henry off of that team, you have a QB who has not been great with 2 receivers who to this point haven't been super dynamic this year. They're good but still haven't had that "going off" game. You know who has? Consistently Derrick Henry has.

Lamar right now is the only one I would put in the conversation with Henry. If you take Lamar off that team they fall apart. If you take Derrick Henry off of the Titans they may not have a win either, and that's the truth. Their defense is subpar, and without Henry being what he is in that offense, you'd put it all on Ryan Tannehill and that's not a complete recipe for success.

Derrick Henry needs to be taken more seriously in this conversation.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Honestly, the tunneling in on QB here for MVP is laughable from this website. Do we know how important QBs are in this league? Absolutely we do. Is it possible for someone on another team to have a somewhat bigger impact than that of a QB? Yes, and we are seeing it with Derrick Henry.

Speaking of QB's, Tannehill has been less than stellar this year and that's what makes this all the more impressive. We know the weapons that Tennessee has at their disposal with those 2 wide receivers, but neither of them have been overly tremendous so far this year. You know who has? Derrick Henry.

If you take Derrick Henry off of that team, you have a QB who has not been great with 2 receivers who to this point haven't been super dynamic this year. They're good but still haven't had that "going off" game. You know who has? Consistently Derrick Henry has.

Lamar right now is the only one I would put in the conversation with Henry. If you take Lamar off that team they fall apart. If you take Derrick Henry off of the Titans they may not have a win either, and that's the truth. Their defense is subpar, and without Henry being what he is in that offense, you'd put it all on Ryan Tannehill and that's not a complete recipe for success.

Derrick Henry needs to be taken more seriously in this conversation.

If you take Derrick Henry off that team, you still have an OL that's opening massive holes that any RB should be able to find and most NFL RB's are capable of making dudes miss in space. Nobody has the vision + speed + power combo that Henry has, but he is not what is making them a good team. They were a bad team with Henry + Mariota, they started becoming a good team with Tannehill at QB. It's crazy to see people propping up Tannehill in previous years and now saying he doesn't matter in order to prop up Derrick Henry. It's actually insane tbh since every single statistic tells us that RB's do not matter.

I'm watching his runs from last night and the common denominator on every single big run is he's untouched going into the 3rd level of the defense. This isn't Marshawn Lynch shaking guys off in the backfield and going for 25 yards, it's the OL opening lanes for a pickup truck to come accelerating through. We've already seen what happens when teams close those gaps on Henry.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

With the lanes their OL opens up for him, I doubt it.

From what I have seen they haven't been overly impressive. Maybe they are top 10 but I haven't seen much to show they are a top group. Even metrics like Adjusted Line Yards don't show them as doing great. Henry is a menace in the open field but they haven't been as good as last year IMO.

That being said I missed last nights game. Just going from a few games I watched back and forth on.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you take Derrick Henry off that team, you still have an OL that's opening massive holes that any RB should be able to find and most NFL RB's are capable of making dudes miss in space. Nobody has the vision + speed + power combo that Henry has, but he is not what is making them a good team. They were a bad team with Henry + Mariota, they started becoming a good team with Tannehill at QB. It's crazy to see people propping up Tannehill in previous years and now saying he doesn't matter in order to prop up Derrick Henry. It's actually insane tbh since every single statistic tells us that RB's do not matter.

I'm watching his runs from last night and the common denominator on every single big run is he's untouched going into the 3rd level of the defense.

With Ken Whisenhunt and then Mike Mularkey as head coaches and Mariota was never really developed. C'mon now.