Derrick Henry 4 MVP

biggie.

Derrick Henry is a phenomenal RB, but the only way to think about the TRUE MVP of the league is look back on the season after it's over and imagine that if the entire league had a draft of every player just for the season, who would go #1 overall?

It won't be Derrick Henry. He might not even crack the top 20. As others have stated, MVP is (rightfully) a QB award. OPOY and DPOY are the most "outstanding" other players on the season.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It won't be Derrick Henry. He might not even crack the top 20.

Henry is inarguably the greatest RB in the NFL. If there was an NFL redraft I feel confident he wouldnt crack the top 20. Probably not even the top 50. You have to imagine virtually every all pro caliber player at a more important position goes above him. Thats a couple dozen OL/DL alone, before we even get to the skill spots. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you take Derrick Henry off that team, you still have an OL that's opening massive holes that any RB should be able to find

our run blocking this year can best be described as "fine." we've had injuries and musical chairs on the OL all season long and there's been a ton of inconsistency. the huge holes you speak of happen like a handful of times per game. the reason you think it happens all the time is that derrick henry takes those holes and goes 20 or 80 instead of 5 or 10 like most running backs would. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So what you're saying is that Henry needs the following to be good:

• Good coach/scheme
  • good OL
  • good QB

But if you take Henry off of this team, they're bad? How does this logic work?

Thats what you got from that? Not that there was levels of ineptitude to the highest extent? Even in his first few years while not great, he was splitting time was he not?

But I guess he's just trash

16 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

our run blocking this year can best be described as "fine." we've had injuries and musical chairs on the OL all season long and there's been a ton of inconsistency. the huge holes you speak of happen like a handful of times per game. the reason you think it happens all the time is that derrick henry takes those holes and goes 20 or 80 instead of 5 or 10 like most running backs would. 

Yeah to me it looks like it's kind of an all-or-nothing type of thing. Run blocking either opens the Panama Canal, or nothing.

16 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Thats what you got from that? Not that there was levels of ineptitude to the highest extent? Even in his first few years while not great, he was splitting time was he not?

But I guess he's just trash

And you got "he's just trash" from my post? He's not trash. His production is reliant a lot on the OL.

Greatest runner in the NFL right now, but he won't win MVP, and it's just due to the nature of the position. Will probably get OPTY again. I do wish they would get rid of the MVP award, but it's a staple all across sports with a legacy idea in place, so it won't happen. PFF has had their "best player" award which spotlights the best player in the league regardless of position. I think that's cool, and more importantly fair, but it just wouldn't jive with casual fans. People want "leaders" and want to fall in love with sexy positions that make the game exciting. Not that that is wrong or anything. The QB is the straw that stirs the drink to helping a team put up points more than anything else, so it's basically their award to lose. I know I'm beating a dead horse with that rhetoric though, but I'm just saying even Derrick Henry breaking 2K yards in back to back seasons in addition to maybe breaking the rushing record might not be enough to secure the MVP crown. But really, who gives a ****? Or rather, why should anyone since that award is losing more luster as time moves forward. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

BTW, Titans to me wouldn't be as strong if Henry was absent or if Tannehill was absent, and both were swapped out for replacement-level alternates. Henry is the better player, but Tannehill plays the more important position. The offense would take a huge hit if either missed a good amount of time. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW, Titans to me wouldn't be as strong if Henry was absent or if Tannehill was absent, and both were swapped out for replacement-level alternates. Henry is the better player, but Tannehill plays the more important position. The offense would take a huge hit if either missed a good amount of time. 

Teams would stack the box all game if Tannehill went down.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Because the position he plays doesnt allow him too. 

This really isnt an opinion either. There are dozens of analytical studies from multiple sites (ESPN, PFF, 538, FO, etc) that all say the same thing. Thinking the RB position matters is essentially the same as spitting in the face of analytics as a whole. 

Top 30 Sith Absolutes GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 4

Herbert plays bad Chargers lose 34-6 (with only 1 turnover) to a team that barely beat Indy and Det. Herbert plays well they score 47 in a shootout. Stop mentioning QBs and omitting Herbert.

End rant.

Henry should be in consideration. Barring injury or major regression he is legit gonna have B2B 2k seasons.

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You did see that the Cowboys went down ~250 yards and ~20 points a game after Dak got injured last year, right? 

RB can never have the importance of a QB. Never. No team, not ever. Maybe 30 years ago,  but not in 2021. Ryan Tannehill is still their most important player, by a landslide. 

Henry is the most important player on the Titans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Because the position he plays doesnt allow him too. 

This really isnt an opinion either. There are dozens of analytical studies from multiple sites (ESPN, PFF, 538, FO, etc) that all say the same thing. Thinking the RB position matters is essentially the same as spitting in the face of analytics as a whole. 

In your opinion, what would the Titans record be without Henry?

25 minutes ago, AllThingsTN said:

In your opinion, what would the Titans record be without Henry?

Thats a loaded question because I am not sure how well the play calling would adapt. But as a rule of thumb - I would say probably the exact same. Maybe +/- 1 if I am throwing darts blindly.

And thats not a knock on Henry. He is awesome and any team would love to have him. Its simply his impact on wins/losses due to his position.