Derrick Henry 4 MVP

biggie.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

He's also only just over a third of the way into the season.  Hold this pace the next 5-6 games and then i'll take it a little more seriously.  All it takes is 1 or 2 down games and these projections go poof.  

I don't get this.  Should we not discuss MVP until the end of the season then?  Because all we have to judge who we think the MVP is are the 6 or so games these guys have played.  Every single candidate could have a bad game that takes them out of the running temporarily.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree with you, and I point to JJ Watt in 2014. He had the DL equivalent of what Henry is doing now ...and still lost out to Aaron Rodgers for MVP.

Brace yourself, that's all I can suggest.

No different then 87' and Reggie White losing out to John Elway but not even in the top 3 discussion for the award? A Defensive players will never win a league MVP again (Paige/LT) IMO. 

Elway,  Montana, Rice

Eagles defensive end Reggie White, who like Rice, was a historically great player having a historically great season. White had 4 FF , 21 sacks in 12 games, while no other player had more than 12.5 sacks! White also had a 70-yard strip-sack touchdown against the eventual Super Bowl MVP that year, too. 

It baffles me why Stafford isnt talked about for MVP. He is 1st in QBR, 2nd in QB Rating, 4th in passing yards, and 3rd in passing tds. His team is (5-1) and if everyone is talking about Brady being the odds on fav to win the MVP then thats BS bc Stafford numbers is comparable to Brady AND he outplayed him and head to head and led his team to a convincing win. Plus the Rams as a team has beaten 4 playoff teams from a year ago to start the first 5 weeks of the season. You have to go back to the 2002 Saints to see the last team to do that and only four team total has done that in NFL history.

I think the MVP list should look like this:

1 Kyler Murray

2 Dak Prescott

3 Matt Stafford

4 Tom Brady

5 Lamar Jackson/Derrick Henry both tied

I would have Henry higher but in order for him to be higher he legit have to at least rush for 100yds and have at least 150 total yards from scrimmage scoring at least a td every game. Week 1 he was held to less than 60yds rushing, he had less than 80 total yards from scrimmage, and he didnt score a td. Thats the equivalent of Brady throwing for less than 200yds, no td passes, and 2 ints. The good news is Henry has an extra game to make up for that Week 1 bad performance and that his one bad performance can Week 1 so the rest of the season he can ball out and people will forget about that one game as each week goes by. But its going to be tough at the running back position especially with all the great QBs playing at a high level. I havent even mention Josh Allen and ARod. If the Vikings can really get hot and continue to win and if they get the top of the NFCN and hold on to it then Kirk Cousins I think could be in the running too bc he quietly have been playing great. Herbert was in the running until his dud this past game against the Ravens. Carr took a few steps back in the race with the Raiders losing two out of their last three games. Mahomes could get hot the rest of the way but all the turnovers and the losses hurt him. 

3 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

It won’t happen but I wish Most Valuable Player was renamed Most Outstanding Player or the Player of the Year award. It’ll allow more non QBs to have a legit chance to win it. 

I would just have best QB, best RB, etc.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:12 PM, Matts4313 said:

You did see that the Cowboys went down ~250 yards and ~20 points a game after Dak got injured last year, right? 

RB can never have the importance of a QB. Never. No team, not ever. Maybe 30 years ago,  but not in 2021. Ryan Tannehill is still their most important player, by a landslide. 

In his MVP season in 2012, Adrian Peterson was undoubtedly the most valuable player on the Vikings roster.  He rushed for over 2,000 yards with Christian Ponder as the QB.  AD actually averaged more yards/carry than Ponder did for yards/pass attempt.  He led the team to the playoffs that season. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

Myles Garrett is on pace to break the single season sack record set by Michael Strahan by 3 sacks.

There is a better chance that Myles wins DPOY and MVP if the Browns make the playoffs than Derrick Henry does being MVP.

If Myles gets 24+ sacks and the Browns make the playoffs---hes going to win every single award there is no matter how many 5k passing yard and 2k rushing yard seasons there are.

Edited by AkronsWitness

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Myles Garrett is on pace to break the single season sack record set by Michael Strahan by 3 sacks.

There is a better chance that Myles wins DPOY and MVP if the Browns make the playoffs than Derrick Henry does being MVP.

If Myles gets 24+ sacks and the Browns make the playoffs---hes going to win every single award there is no matter how many 5k passing yard and 2k rushing yard seasons there are.

No he won't. He'll be DPOY and 1st Team AP after most likely going 1 and done in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I doubt it. Very seriously. 

And I'm not arguing that he shouldn't if that were to happen. Though really I think it would actually only really help with awards and such if he breaks the record in 16 games and adds whatever in the 17th.

Even then, there are 3 guys currently on pace to break the yardage record in a season at QB, a RB that is on pace to break the yardage record, and it's an award that hasn't gone to a non QB/RB in a long time. I can't see Garrett getting MVP regardless. 

Edited by Mr Raider

Myles Garrett has absolutely no chance to win the MVP even if he breaks the sacks record by 5 sacks. 

So far this season I would have King Henry as the frontrunner and a slew of other good QBs afterwards, even if we know that's not how the MVP voting process goes and that the best statistical QB have a 95% chance of winning it.