Todd Bowles Appreciation Thread, Because He Deserves Even More Credit

haveyoumetdustin

After our playoff run last year, Bowles was getting the praise he deserves and people were worried about losing him to another team. 

After a rough few games for our defense, I've seen way too many overreactions, too much criticism of Bowles. He's not perfect and shouldn't be immune from criticism, but there's people straight up calling for his job. 

Considering we've missed one starting CB for every game, another starting CB for 2.5 games now, ANOTHER starting CB out for 2 games, a starting S for 2 games, our other starting S for the season opener, our HoF LB for 1.5 games so far, and a starting EDGE for 2 games... I'd say we should be pretty thankful to be 5-1 and off to our BEST START EVER. 

And to have us as a mid-pack defense right now with all the injuries, and with facing 2 of the top 5 offenses in the league already, these stats/rankings aren't looking too bad:

Points Against/G: T-16th
Yards Against/G: 9th
Yards/Completion: 5th
Quarterback Rating: 16th
Net Yards/Drive: 6th
Hurries: 7th
QB Knockdown: 3rd
Pressures: T-4th
and #1 in pretty much every running stat

To be even a mid pack defense right now has been an accomplishment, and the game plans he's used with what he has to work with this season has brought results. 

I have full confidence in him to have this defense looking like a top 5 unit again going into the playoffs once we get healthy, hopefully after the bye. 

• Like 1

Ive been VERY harsh to bowles and some of it is warranted, like the odd blitzing White and Lavonte and bringing Shaq and JPP out for coverage, or the one time he brought Vea out into coverage. 

But i will give credit where credit is due, we have 1 loss this season even with a banged up secondary that has 4 pieces currently missing, sure we had some close games but that's still a great feat. 

If bowles can stick with the normal stuff and not get too cute some times ill be much more happy with him.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

We’ve seen timely stops in part of them that helped us win tight games.

That's by design. The defense is supposed to give up all the easy throws.

It's difficult to consistently have 8-12 play drives that end in TDs. Just takes one miss and you're punting or you've turned it over.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, bucsfan333 said:

That's by design. The defense is supposed to give up all the easy throws.

It's difficult to consistently have 8-12 play drives that end in TDs. Just takes one miss and you're punting or you've turned it over.

Yea I get it lol but I would like it if they would stop giving up 3rd and long plays "by design" 😂

Fairly confident Bowles will be the top retread HC candidate coveted.  He already has a SB in the bank.  All the injuries in the secondary actually helps his resume.  His first HC gig was with the Jets, which is a very dysfunctional franchise.  

Looking at the list of retreads- Quinn, Joseph, Rah, Frazier, Garrett, Allen, and Bradley.  I really doubt the league looks at any of these guys as better candidates then Bowles.

It would be interesting who the heir apparent would be at DC.  I think it would be between Caldwell and Foote.  Caldwell was an assistant HC with the Jets under Bowles, so I would assume he has the slight advantage.

After a dominant showing against a rookie QB (without our HoF LB and top CB), our team stats are looking a bit better..

10th in Points/G (1 single point allowed from being T-7th)
9th in Yards/G
T-3rd in Turnovers (2nd in interceptions)
6th in Score%
10th in Sacks
T-8th in Pressures
5th in QB hits
7th in Yards per Pass Attempt
11th in QB Rating
2nd in Rushing Yards/G

Starting to wake up now. Hopefully Lavonte is back to help with Kamara next week.  

• Like 1