Trade Deadline - Nov. 2

packfanfb

Deadline is 2 weeks from today. Figured some discussion could be had regarding this year's trading deadline. The Packers should be buyers at 5-1 even though they don't have a ton of money to play with ($5.2m according to Over the Cap). 

If GB does make a move, which position should they address? EDGE? CB? DL? 

Also, do we consider selling as well? Maybe on the OL? 

4 minutes ago, R T said:

Where some of the current injuries end up will dictate whether the Packers make a move at any position or not. If Alexander and Z. Smith are not season ending it is doubtful a move is made.    

Which is why I think EDGE ends up becoming the focus as we near the day. All the pundits keep talking about CB, but I'm feeling better about that position day after day. Stokes is playing well, King is okay when healthy, Douglas looks playable and I think Dunbar will be an underrated add as well. Even without JA, that group can play with a decent front that gets pressure for them. Plus, the Packers at least sound somewhat optimistic about JA. 

Adding another EDGE player to give us more flexibility with moving Gary around seems like the play, if a play is made. Now, it's hard to get decent pass rushers for a few million bucks and day-3 draft capital. A Packers writer brought it up before but one candidate could be a guy like Dante Fowler. He's in a contract year on a dying team (ATL), has a $6m salary (so about $3m to rent him), and he played with Barry in LA in 2019. Rumors were Gute wanted him in 2018 when the Rams first got him for a 3rd rounder from JAX. I haven't looked hard enough at other viable options at this point other than adding a street FA like Mercilus (just cut) or Vernon, etc. 

• Like 2

Depending on and beyond the health of our DB's where they could play a part I think Edge is the most obvious.  D-Line a possibility, along with what other positions pop up because of injury.  No trade needed, I wonder if Whitney Mercilus has enough left to help us?

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Which is why I think EDGE ends up becoming the focus as we near the day. All the pundits keep talking about CB, but I'm feeling better about that position day after day. Stokes is playing well, King is okay when healthy, Douglas looks playable and I think Dunbar will be an underrated add as well. Even without JA, that group can play with a decent front that gets pressure for them. Plus, the Packers at least sound somewhat optimistic about JA.

Lol nevermind.

• Like 1

Sell:  Do we have anything that anyone would want, besides Lucas Patrick? And I am certainly not advocating for it.

Buy:  Defensive line can use some help.  I am a Dean Lowry apologist.  But I am not the biggest fan of Lancaster or Keke.  TJ Slaton is a rookie, can he hold up all season? I would like to add a player that can eat some snaps for Kenny, Dean, and TJ in the mid to late season.

Edge? I think this depends on the extent of Preston's injury, I have already written off Z.  I like what Garvin has brought the last few weeks and I have no problem with him being part of a trio.  But that is the rub.  I don't think he can consistently play starter reps, and I don't think we have a strong enough option to fill that trio of pass rushers on the roster right now.  Tipa and Burks are too light, Hamilton is too not good, Rivers is on IR.  

CB? I am leaning no.  After Stephon Glimore fell through, I think we have done a reasonable job of filling depth with Douglas and Dunbar already.  A lot of teams need CBs, and I would be gun-shy about getting into that market right now.

I’m not sold on the idea that just because Alexander “may” be back in the line up, that he’ll actually “stay” in the line up.  Hoping he doesn’t re-aggravate his injured shoulder, but it’s a distinct possibility and one that Gute needs to be prepared for.

Like @Gopher Trace, I've wanted a big DE/DT for years. This looks to be at least the third year drafting, where guys at these positions are scarce, making it very difficult to get good value at that position.

Over time different teams have different philosophies. Some teams (see the 49ers for example) have spent a great many picks on their front 7 for more than half a decade, most of those picks are high first rounders. Their corners are fairly meh in comparison, but if you can generate good pressure with 4 or 5, your corners don't need to be quite as good, so i understand why they do what they do.

Green Bay has, in comparison, spent way less on their defensive line and most of their draft expenditure over the years has been on DBs. So while I always hope for a stud to go alongside Kenny, a DB always seems more likely, even when we have already spent a first rounder on a CB, in2020.

One other thing to consider is that the Packers may have a bunch of high picks after 2021, if Rodgers gets traded. That would allow much more movement in the draft and potentially getting guys much higher than they normally pick............and simply more guys overall, allowing them the odd 'luxury' pick that just might be on the defensive front.