Trade Deadline - Nov. 2

packfanfb

16 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Joe Haden and 2nd rounder for Jordan Love, straight up.  Profit.  They need an heir apparent because unlike our QB, Big Ben is absolutely done after this season and they need their replacement in line, who is currently not on their roster.  It could be very appealing for them.  And shows Rodgers commitment and that he's obviously the guy.  He extends another 4 years.  Everybody wins.  Profit.

The point here is not so much that the Steelers need a QB, but by far the most probable scenario in 2022 is that that the Packers will need one. 

The Rodgers/management situation has not been resolved, just put back a year. It's very difficult indeed to sort out their cap situation next year if you cannot regain the millions from letting Rodgers and Adams go. Whether it be trade, tag and trade* (Adams), player release or even a player retires (Rodgers), I am not expecting either to be back. We have seen players like Manning (Payton) and Roethlisberger fall off a cliff, physically - that might happen to Rodgers in a year, two years, who knows ? If he can be traded, let it be after a great year, while his ability outweighs his age.

Equally, Rodgers would have to want to return to Green Bay for the next several years, which he might be fine with, but it isn't a given. Finally, you would be wanting Gutekunst to give up on a draft pick he traded up for in the first round, before he ever really knew how good Love could become. He obviously likes him (Love], because you don't trade up for a guy in round one if you don't like him.

Finally, if you can gather several high draft picks and possibly a good player to help re-stock the team going forward with an as-yet unknown quantity at QB, that seems a better plan to me for the mid-to-long-term future, than riding the Rodgers/Adams combo into a darkening future and losing all the young talent (Clark, Jenkins, Gary, Alexander etc) because you cannot afford to keep any of them.

*  As I understand it, there is about three weeks (late Feb to mid March) between when you can tag a player and when the new NFL year starts, so the Packers can stop Adams leaving if they wish (with an exclusive rights tag). [If this is wrong, please clarify]. Adams couldn't leave for another team with that tag unless the team wants to trade him............though he could choose to sit out and not play.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think the Steelers actually like the kid they picked up from Washington, Haskins. I'm not giving up on Love yet mostly because I don't know how you make the money work with Rodgers next year and stay competitive. a contender. 

Love doesn't have the off-the-field baggage Haskins has and he's probably a better player for it TBH. That offense may be a much better fit for Love than MLF's as well. 

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The point here is not so much that the Steelers need a QB, but by far the most probable scenario in 2022 is that that the Packers will need one. 

The Rodgers/management situation has not been resolved, just put back a year. It's very difficult indeed to sort out their cap situation next year if you cannot regain the millions from letting Rodgers and Adams go. Whether it be trade, tag and trade* (Adams), player release or even a player retires (Rodgers), I am not expecting either to be back. We have seen players like Manning (Payton) and Roethlisberger fall off a cliff, physically - that might happen to Rodgers in a year, two years, who knows ? If he can be traded, let it be after a great year, while his ability outweighs his age.

Equally, Rodgers would have to want to return to Green Bay for the next several years, which he might be fine with, but it isn't a given. Finally, you would be wanting Gutekunst to give up on a draft pick he traded up for in the first round, before he ever really knew how good Love could become. He obviously likes him (Love], because you don't trade up for a guy in round one if you don't like him.

Finally, if you can gather several high draft picks and possibly a good player to help re-stock the team going forward with an as-yet unknown quantity at QB, that seems a better plan to me for the mid-to-long-term future, than riding the Rodgers/Adams combo into a darkening future and losing all the young talent (Clark, Jenkins, Gary, Alexander etc) because you cannot afford to keep any of them.

*  As I understand it, there is about three weeks (late Feb to mid March) between when you can tag a player and when the new NFL year starts, so the Packers can stop Adams leaving if they wish (with an exclusive rights tag). [If this is wrong, please clarify]. Adams couldn't leave for another team with that tag unless the team wants to trade him............though he could choose to sit out and not play.

The only thing I like about a Rodgers departure is the potential for multiple FRP's. Adams would be the bigger loss as we wouldn't get as much back for him. 

As for the emboldened part, there have been plenty of articles from legitimate sources that have said Gutey traded up for one of the WR's that went before Love, namely Brandon Aiyuk who has been Aiy-ick in SF(as I predicted). Teams give up on dudes they traded up to get all the time so it could be viewed as a whiff, which for Gutey's record drafting, isn't all that common. I still contend that Jordan Love's accuracy is an issue and the only thing standing in the way of Rodgers being back next year is our cap situation and how his contract affects it.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Love doesn't have the off-the-field baggage Haskins has and he's probably a better player for it TBH. That offense may be a much better fit for Love than MLF's as well. 

Given our salary cap situation and the hit we'd take moving Jordan Love I don't see this as a possibility. Not unless we got a mind numbingly stupid offer. Throw in Rodgers situation is far from settled and I see almost ZERO chance we move on from Love anytime soon. 

But here is a question for you, is Jordan Love a better option than any QB in the 2022 draft? I think he might be. 

Edited by Old Guy

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

The only thing I like about a Rodgers departure is the potential for multiple FRP's. Adams would be the bigger loss as we wouldn't get as much back for him. 

As for the emboldened part, there have been plenty of articles from legitimate sources that have said Gutey traded up for one of the WR's that went before Love, namely Brandon Aiyuk who has been Aiy-ick in SF(as I predicted). Teams give up on dudes they traded up to get all the time so it could be viewed as a whiff, which for Gutey's record drafting, isn't all that common. I still contend that Jordan Love's accuracy is an issue and the only thing standing in the way of Rodgers being back next year is our cap situation and how his contract affects it.

This makes zero sense. The Packers didn't trade up until after Aiyuk was selected, the trade was made when the 26th pick was on the clock and the Packers traded up to select Love. There are no legitimate sources claiming that it was a trade up for a different player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

This makes zero sense. The Packers didn't trade up until after Aiyuk was selected, the trade was made when the 26th pick was on the clock and the Packers traded up to select Love. There are no legitimate sources claiming that it was a trade up for a different player. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't trying to trade up.  You can try and trade up, but fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

But here is a question for you, is Jordan Love a better option than any QB in the 2022 draft? I think he might be. 

Probably.  But is 3 years of Jordan Love definitively better than 5 years of [insert 2022 QB prospect]?  That's a bigger question.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

In the keep Rodgers scenario, yes, we probably gotta let Clark, Jenkins, Gary, and Alexander walk.  Jenkins is gonna ask LT money, hes gone regardless of Rodgers, foregone conclusion. So the question is really Rodgers/Adams or Alexander/Clark/Gary, and for me it is unquestionably the first pair as the one to keep.   In this scenario, while we lose Alexander, we at least gain Haden in the rhetorical trade.  So that first world problem of having a legendary QB means you gotta hit regularly on your draft picks to supplement him.  Guys like Clark and Gary can change a moment, but they cant change a game.  Rodgers can change a game, and the blueprint of that is overwhelming.  You take the HOF QB that has shown no signs of deterioration whatsoever and is more on a Brady longevity trajectory than anything (Manning and Ben showed plenty before their ultimate demise).  Keep the QB, hit on your draft picks.  

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Given our salary cap situation and the hit we'd take moving Jordan Love I don't see this as a possibility. Not unless we got a mind numbingly stupid offer. Throw in Rodgers situation is far from settled and I see almost ZERO chance we move on from Love anytime soon. 

From what I've read so far, the 2022 NFL draft will be a below average year for quarterbacks.  This should enhance Rodgers trade value.  Philly has 3 first round picks next year and I do not believe they are sold on Hurts as their QB of the future.  If you paired Rodgers and Adams (via the tag), I believe Philly would gladly give us all 3 of those picks, which right now are all in the top half of the draft.  If Rodgers and Adams knew they were going to be traded together to the same team, it might remove their objections to said trade.

21 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Joe Haden and 2nd rounder for Jordan Love, straight up.  Profit.  They need an heir apparent because unlike our QB, Big Ben is absolutely done after this season and they need their replacement in line, who is currently not on their roster.  It could be very appealing for them.  And shows Rodgers commitment and that he's obviously the guy.  He extends another 4 years.  Everybody wins.  Profit.

I know you are saying this tongue in cheek.  Trade Love.

And if going down this road....you simply cannot and should not do that unless Rodgers inks an extension first.

If we are going to "buy" something at the trade deadline.  Well, we need another quality WR.

Someone like Cooks, veteran, still has wheels, can win routes quickly and has some speed left.

No offense to MVS, but if we want this offense to go next level, we need that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't trying to trade up.  You can try and trade up, but fail.

I think the Niners got word the Packers were really interested in Jefferson and Aiyuk.  After Jefferson went off the board, the Niners went up to get Aiyuk.  My suspicions after John Lynch said they got Intel about the Packers  interest in Aiyuk is that it came from MLF indirectly telling his SF passing game brother Mike about the Packers interest in Aiyuk.   I'm sure the 2 spoke about college players and probably still do.  After Aiyuk was taken the focus shifted to Jordan Love, the Packers were working a trade, and were concerned someone might trade up for Love in front of them at 29.  They worked the trade in a short amount of time, thats why they didn't call Rodgers, and all this BS about not notifying him until later.  You got minutes to make a trade to get your guy.  Im not calling Rodgers with ammo flying over my head to see if its OK.  Make the trade and make the pick.  Call Rodgers after which is exactly what they did. 

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the Niners got word the Packers were really interested in Jefferson and Aiyuk.  After Jefferson went off the board, the Niners went up to get Aiyuk.  My suspicions after John Lynch said they got Intel about the Packers  interest in Aiyuk is that it came from MLF indirectly telling his SF passing game brother Mike about the Packers interest in Aiyuk.   I'm sure the 2 spoke about college players and probably still do.  After Aiyuk was taken the focus shifted to Jordan Love, the Packers were working a trade, and were concerned someone might trade up for Love in front of them at 29.  They worked the trade in a short amount of time, thats why they didn't call Rodgers, and all this BS about not notifying him until later.  You got minutes to make a trade to get your guy.  Im not calling Rodgers with ammo flying over my head to see if its OK.  Make the trade and make the pick.  Call Rodgers after which is exactly what they did. 

Alternately, Love was their guy all along and MLF didn't leak ridiculously valuable information to a friend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Alternately, Love was their guy all along and MLF didn't leak ridiculously valuable information to a friend.

Some are in such denial, they can't bare the thought that Love was who they hoped to draft all along. 

• Like 1