Trade Deadline - Nov. 2

packfanfb

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I went into this season kinda worried that Rodger's play would drop off (because of the off-season bs), thereby decreasing his trade value AND GB’s chances of a legit SB run.

Fortunately, the opposite has occurred and both Rodger’s value and our SB run remain intact…..so far.

He’s looked far more human this season than last year. Gotta see how things play out the rest of the season but hopefully he gets back to MVP form. 

16 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He’s looked far more human this season than last year. Gotta see how things play out the rest of the season but hopefully he gets back to MVP form. 

True that.  And in spite of looking more “human” this year, he’s still being talked about as an MVP candidate.  I’d like to see an uptick in his play also - GB is gonna need it in the coming weeks.

50 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

True that.  And in spite of looking more “human” this year, he’s still being talked about as an MVP candidate.  I’d like to see an uptick in his play also - GB is gonna need it in the coming weeks.

Who is talking about him as an MVP candidate?

6 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Who is talking about him as an MVP candidate?

We are, right now!

In seriousness, he is still playing mostly good football.  The biggest knock is the deep ball accuracy.  But it isn't off like most guys that just don't have the arm anymore, he has been a little off target, and they have had some very near misses to add to that.  If we throw out the Saints game, because it was a whole team abortion, he has a 12:1 TD:INT ratio and is throwing for 260 yards per game, and is 5-0.  Is that MVP worthy? Probably not.  But we are comparing Rodgers to his MVP season, and not whether he is playing good or satisfactory football.  I think the numbers will catch back up a little once we get Bakhtiari and MVS back in the line-up, and get Tonyan a couple of confidence booster catches.  

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Yep, lots of football left.  At this point last year Russell Wilson was way out in front in the MVP race.

We should be more concerned about playing well as a team in spite of injuries, rather than Rodgers' play. Could he do more? Possibly, but you can't ignore the constant shuffling in front of him. Sure, we have guys coming back, but will there be improvement as a result? IMO we're overthinking it and should be focused on defensive and ST consistency.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Siman08/OH said:

I came here for this. 

What do we feel comfortable giving up for Cook for a 9-10 game rental plus playoffs?

A 6th? Cuz I’m in on that. If people decide not to cover Cook and MVS our offense will be unstoppable. If they decide to cover them then Adams is singled. We know how that works out. 

Make it happen!

You can't give up any compensation for Cook.  

You trade for the contract, the player comes along with it.  $12M base salary.  Divided by 17 games.  You end up paying him $705,882 per game.  Multiply that by 11 games left and that is 7.76M.  And it could be even more if his contract is setup differently.

We have 6.2M of space currently.

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We are, right now!

In seriousness, he is still playing mostly good football.  The biggest knock is the deep ball accuracy.  But it isn't off like most guys that just don't have the arm anymore, he has been a little off target, and they have had some very near misses to add to that.  If we throw out the Saints game, because it was a whole team abortion, he has a 12:1 TD:INT ratio and is throwing for 260 yards per game, and is 5-0.  Is that MVP worthy? Probably not.  But we are comparing Rodgers to his MVP season, and not whether he is playing good or satisfactory football.  I think the numbers will catch back up a little once we get Bakhtiari and MVS back in the line-up, and get Tonyan a couple of confidence booster catches.  

MVP's don't win the SB so I think we prefer he stays just a hair under the MVP's so we can walk away with a better prize:) 

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You trade for the contract, the player comes along with it.  $12M base salary.  Divided by 17 games.  You end up paying him $705,882 per game.  Multiply that by 11 games left and that is 7.76M.  And it could be even more if his contract is setup differently.

Is that after the Mercilus signing? 

39 minutes ago, Joe said:

We should be more concerned about playing well as a team in spite of injuries, rather than Rodgers' play. Could he do more? Possibly, but you can't ignore the constant shuffling in front of him. Sure, we have guys coming back, but will there be improvement as a result? IMO we're overthinking it and should be focused on defensive and ST consistency.

We're not overthinking it. There's concerns in all 3 phases.

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You're looking at 2022. His remaining salary for half of 2021 is about $1.7 million. That's it. Next year, his $12m salary is non-guaranteed so you just cut him unless you want to keep him and extend/restructure, etc. 

He's probably the most affordable WR on the market in terms of his production. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You're looking at 2022. His remaining salary for half of 2021 is about $1.7 million. That's it. Next year, his $12m salary is non-guaranteed so you just cut him unless you want to keep him and extend/restructure, etc. 

Would love to have him, he'd be a great fit. Unfortunately, HOU only has ~$7m in cap space this year and Cooks has about that in outstanding bonus money. They could just barely trade him without adjust some existing contracts. If they are truly planning to trade Watson in season, who has ~$15m in bonus money, trading Cooks would be impossible.  

If they don't trade Watson, I still don't think Cooks gets traded. Their cap situation in '22 is fine, there's no need to dump his salary. They wanted a 2nd for Fuller last year and I doubt they'd take less for Cooks. Still, If they could agree on an extension, which pushes most of his '22 money forward, he might be worth it.

GB tried to add a WR last year at the deadline and are now rolling with the exact same group. WR and DL are the only positions where a quality addition could improve their chances. They should be exploring every option at both positions.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Technically speaking, the Texans could convert most of his base salary to a signing bonus before trading him and the Texans would eat that dead cap.  But that usually means you're paying more in terms of draft picks.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Thank you for pointing that out!  I had no clue I was looking at 2022.  Yah, he's a bargain for this year.