If the Panthers/Broncos knew Justin Fields would fall to them, would they still make the trades for Darnold/Teddy?

N4L

Pretty simple question. At the time, I took both trades to mean that these teams knew a QB they wanted would fall to them. Surprisingly to the fans (and general media) Fields fell a lot farther than anticipated.

Do you think either of these teams regret giving up assets and taking corners instead or waiting until after the draft? 

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I would take both Darnold and Teddy over Fields, so I’m going to say no. It also allowed those teams to use their 1st on another position.

If you don’t like Fields you don’t draft him so I agree there. I wasn’t a huge Teddy fan when he was with the Saints and I like Payton’s creativity with a mobile QB, but I definitely would’ve hypothetically taken Darnold+keeping a 1st over Fields for the Saints if they had been a stronger player in the market this year. 

In a more generic scenario, I wonder how much more job security you get if your rookie QB sucks compared to when your veteran QB sucks. I think coaches would prefer to get the benefit of the doubt “Well, he is a rookie” in the media, that comes with the rookie if you really felt the value was close between a potential trade vs drafting your guy 

• Like 1

Fields hasn’t diminished or improved his value thus far this year, due to the fact that he’s a rookie and the bears offense absolutely lacks an identity or vision. He’s certainly playing like a rookie but he’s showing flashes of competence despite surrounding incompetence in my opinion.

Darnold stepped in and immediately made an impact but in the past few weeks has shown he is Sam Darnold and that’s all hell ever be. 
Bridgewater i still feel is an underappreciated qb and mid range talent. If Denver had gotten Fields, I’d have been okay with Bridge at qb over Dalton or Foles. 
It all boils down to: can you go to a future Super Bowl with any of these three guys? Darnold? No. Bridge? I don’t think so. Fields? Maybe. Hes been too rickety so far to even guess what he’ll be. It’s way too early to see which of the options puts you in the best place. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Fields has been terrible lol. 

Right, this originally was meant to be a panthers thread, because Darnold has been very bad the last couple weeks. I figured what the hell, why not throw denver into this? 

Teddy has been pretty solid, but the ceiling is limited and Denver is more likely to be in QB purgatory for a while. 

2 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Jaycee Horn looked like a stud before the injury so I doubt they go with Fields who really hasn’t shown anything, IMO. 

With a time machine maybe they don’t go with Darnold, but I don’t think Fields factors into that decision at all

If they dont go Darnold but they still take Horn, who is their QB? They obviously wanted to move off Teddy considering they ate some of his contract. Not sure what other options they would have had once the niners made their move up to 3

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’d say unspectacular, all things considered. Not terrible. The only thing in Chicago I’d call terrible is the coaching. 

Terrible as in one of the 3 or 4 worst QBs in football this year. He’s been awful. Mitch who everyone thinks sucks was better under the same Matt Nagy