If the Panthers/Broncos knew Justin Fields would fall to them, would they still make the trades for Darnold/Teddy?

N4L

Teddy was acquired as a 1-year stopgap.   It certainly wasn't a barrier to taking QB IMO.   The decision to pass on Fields was purely out of the evaluation to win now, which IMO was a mistake.   The perils of a GM coming in with a win-now HC and FO that has trouble looking long-term.  

• Like 1

I think that it'll be interesting to see what either team will do if Deshaun Watson eventually resolves his civil cases.

Both teams seem primed for major runs with a top tier QB - and Watson is that guy on a football field.

Denver might have apprehension, but Carolina could bring the former Clemson icon home and absorb a lot of the negative pressure...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Terrible as in one of the 3 or 4 worst QBs in football this year. He’s been awful. Mitch who everyone thinks sucks was better under the same Matt Nagy

Again, pretty shortsighted understanding of the situation.  

Panthers made the decision to trade for Sam Darnold after watching Justin Fields at his Pro Day.  So they were likely just not a big fan of his.

And I don't think it would have been good for Fields anyway.  He would have had a lot of weapons, but the Panthers OL is the most talent-depleted in the NFL.  This is not me making an excuse for Darnold - his play has dropped off the last two weeks and he has got to play better.  But the OL is that bad.  

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think that it'll be interesting to see what either team will do if Deshaun Watson eventually resolves his civil cases.

Both teams seem primed for major runs with a top tier QB - and Watson is that guy on a football field.

Denver might have apprehension, but Carolina could bring the former Clemson icon home and absorb a lot of the negative pressure...

I heard a Denver beat writer on the radio yesterday who brought up the denver ownership issues with regards to Watson. He said he expects the team to get sold within the year.

I believe there is a bit of power struggle with one or two of the heirs to the team wanting to force a sale but he didn't get into the details, other than to say a sale was imminent in his mind. 

This beat writer said that he would not expect Denver to make the move for Watson without the new owners signing off on it because it would be such a controversial move for their brand. 

Makes total sense. Carolina definitely feels like a better fit. David Tepper does not strike me as the guy who really cares more about the perception of watson's actions and how it effects the brand, rather than the actions themselves. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dome said:

If you don’t like Fields you don’t draft him so I agree there. I wasn’t a huge Teddy fan when he was with the Saints and I like Payton’s creativity with a mobile QB, but I definitely would’ve hypothetically taken Darnold+keeping a 1st over Fields for the Saints if they had been a stronger player in the market this year. 

In a more generic scenario, I wonder how much more job security you get if your rookie QB sucks compared to when your veteran QB sucks. I think coaches would prefer to get the benefit of the doubt “Well, he is a rookie” in the media, that comes with the rookie if you really felt the value was close between a potential trade vs drafting your guy 

I think your second point is spot on. Maybe the coaches preferred someone with NFL experience as you avoid the rookie growing pains. 

25 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

are we talking Justin Fields, who is averaging 106 yds passing yards through 4 games starting?

141 actually, Lamar averaged 150 over his first 4 starts. 

Rookie QBs are expected to suck. Fields could easily have a major turnaround in 1-2 years.

2 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Jackson also rushed for an avg 80 yards.

w/e, he may work out but i don't get the hype. Yet?

I don't see any hype, maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. But it's obvious that the Panthers and Broncos will both need to look for a new QB again.

4 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Jackson also rushed for an avg 80 yards.

w/e, he may work out but i don't get the hype. Yet?

Like all highly touted 1st round QBs, the hype is due to college ball. It last about as long as their college career did - so we have roughly another ~18 months before people give up on Fields; presuming he doesnt improve. If he does improve then it will be justification of his draft slot. 

Edited by Matts4313

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

are we talking Justin Fields, who is averaging 106 yds passing yards through 4 games starting?

I get it, but Darnold has been very bad the last couple weeks and I am wondering if Carolina is having buyers remorse with him 

Horn looked great before his injury and he made the Panthers defense overwhelming. 
That made life easier on Sam and the offense. So he was able to have us a little easier.

With the injuries to CMC, Sam has been under a lot of pressure sooner than expected. He’s been playing bad but his last drive against the Vikings was some hero ball stuff that we haven’t seen a Panthers QB do in a long time. So I still have a little bit of hope for him.

I think they made the right move to pick Horn. He’s a dominant #1 CB, with Jackson, Henderson, and now Gilmore we should be pretty stacked their for a while. 

• Like 1