If the Panthers/Broncos knew Justin Fields would fall to them, would they still make the trades for Darnold/Teddy?

N4L

26 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Yes, the Broncos would have. They spent a 6th round pick to get him, only paying $3 million of his salary. Hardly the move of a team that had no other plan at QB. Fields was not the QB they were targeting. Simple as that. I find the alternative to be ludicrous. That they passed on a QB who was on the top of their board & available at their pick because they spent a 6th on a solid journeyman QB. No way.

This is how I feel as well. I don't know how trading a 6th round pick for a journeyman bridge QB you're paying 3 million for would impact your draft decision. Albright has said in the past that they were interested in Lance, but I never saw him tie them to any other QB in the draft (though most people may have thought there was no reason to really discuss Lawrence / Wilson) 

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Hope I can come back to this thread in a few years and laugh at @CP3MVP and @Kirill for being big dumb idiots 

Huh? Fields was arguably the worst starting QB in football now he’s been ok for 2 weeks and you wanna pump your chest lol. Get out of here 

Edited by CP3MVP

56 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Huh? Fields was arguably the worst starting QB in football now he’s been ok for 2 weeks and you wanna pump your chest lol. Get out of here 

Context matters. Rookie QBs aren't supposed to be good immediately, people forget that because of guys like Herbert, Baker, Dak, and Luck. He has pretty much no help. Terrible O-Line usually spells doom for young QBs (David Carr says hello), he has a "meh" running game, Allen Robinson is playing like garbage, and he has one of the worst HC in the league. Fields is trending in the right direction.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Context matters. Rookie QBs aren't supposed to be good immediately, people forget that because of guys like Herbert, Baker, Dak, and Luck. He has pretty much no help. Terrible O-Line usually spells doom for young QBs (David Carr says hello), he has a "meh" running game, Allen Robinson is playing like garbage, and he has one of the worst HC in the league. Fields is trending in the right direction.

Rookie QBs are not supposed to Deshon Kizer/Josh Rosen level bad which is what fields was until about last week to the point. Heck Dwayne Haskins his rookie year on a DUMPSTER fire Washington team has a higher passer rating 

Edited by CP3MVP

29 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Rookie QBs are not supposed to Deshon Kizer/Josh Rosen level bad which is what fields was until about last week to the point. Heck Dwayne Haskins his rookie year on a DUMPSTER fire Washington team has a higher passer rating 

He's not even been close to Kizer-level bad, and I don't think Rosen got a fair shake anyway. Haskins busted because he's an idiot, not because he lacks talent. Fields is much different. Of the games Fields has started this year, he has a bunch of mediocre games, and only 1 abysmal one (against the defending champs, no less). He's been solid given the situation. Drew Brees was garbage early on as well, but people still bag on the Chargers for acquiring Rivers. Guys take time to develop.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Rookie QBs are not supposed to Deshon Kizer/Josh Rosen level bad which is what fields was until about last week to the point. 

And here's the difference - it's a significant one, too.

Kizer and Rosen never had that "until about last week" moment in their career - they started bad, they stayed bad. Fields started bad (not Kizer/Rosen bad, not at all) and has consistently trended up since then. There's no real reason to believe he'll suddenly regress - it's possible, but there's nothing pointing to that right now based on what we've seen.

You want to talk about bad rookie seasons - tell me, how did Josh Allen look as a rookie?

This is all with Matt Nagy as his coach, too - if someone like Joe Brady gets the top job in Chicago next season, don't expect regression from Fields.

• Like 5

"A man's got to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) in "Magnum Force"

Part of being bad is not knowing you're bad.

Carolina and Denver drew the proper conclusion from their failure to develop QB talent.  Both need a plug-and-play guy, usually a veteran.

Not being so self-aware, the Bears took a QB.

8 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

He's not even been close to Kizer-level bad, and I don't think Rosen got a fair shake anyway. Haskins busted because he's an idiot, not because he lacks talent. Fields is much different. Of the games Fields has started this year, he has a bunch of mediocre games, and only 1 abysmal one (against the defending champs, no less). He's been solid given the situation. Drew Brees was garbage early on as well, but people still bag on the Chargers for acquiring Rivers. Guys take time to develop.

He absolutely was 2017 Deshone Kizer bad until like a week ago. His interception percentage this year is 4.3 while Deshone was 4.6

Haskins busting doesn’t take away the fact that his passer rating his rookie year was superior to Fields.

Edited by CP3MVP

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

And here's the difference - it's a significant one, too.

Kizer and Rosen never had that "until about last week" moment in their career - they started bad, they stayed bad. Fields started bad (not Kizer/Rosen bad, not at all) and has consistently trended up since then. There's no real reason to believe he'll suddenly regress - it's possible, but there's nothing pointing to that right now based on what we've seen.

You want to talk about bad rookie seasons - tell me, how did Josh Allen look as a rookie?

This is all with Matt Nagy as his coach, too - if someone like Joe Brady gets the top job in Chicago next season, don't expect regression from Fields.

If “took a step” is an 89 passer rating 1 touchdown to 1 interception than that shows how horrible he was prior to last week. Again he was probably the worst starter in the league outside of MAYBE Goff and Darnold.  Mitch Trubisky was better Under Nagu and whatever you feel about Nagy he’s better than Hue Jackson and Steve Wilks

I don’t know why you’re hyping up Joe Brady. He’s garbage and is a product of an NFL team in the 2019 LSU tigers lol

Edited by CP3MVP

Im not trying to dump on Fields, because I think he can still be very good, but people are putting way too much stock into how Fields looked vs the Steelers.     Our secondary is an absolute joke and the Steelers regularly play down to competition and make players look better than they are.

Was it a turning point for Fields?   Possibly...but the 2021 Steelers arent the litmus test I'd use to judge him.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:41 PM, 43M said:

Im not trying to dump on Fields, because I think he can still be very good, but people are putting way too much stock into how Fields looked vs the Steelers.     Our secondary is an absolute joke and the Steelers regularly play down to competition and make players look better than they are.

Was it a turning point for Fields?   Possibly...but the 2021 Steelers arent the litmus test I'd use to judge him.

Thats not what people are talking about. It was about the caliber of throws he was making

42 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

Thats not what people are talking about. It was about the caliber of throws he was making

Ive seen/heard numerous comments since the game about how Justin Fields was turning a corner.  And sure, maybe he made some nice throws, and credit to him....just saying the Steelers have a habit of making mediocre QBs look decent, especially now with one of the worst secondaries in the league.