Goff

fortdetroit

Can someone with more knowledge please explain to me how this guy was considered a top young QB in the league just a few seasons ago?  Has he always been this bad, or has he significantly regressed over the last 3 years? 

What I see is an immobile QB, who has fumbling issues and can’t hold onto the ball, is terrible navigating the pocket, refuses to make high risk/high reward type pass attempts, checks down all the time, and is not particularly accurate. 

Edited by fortdetroit
  • Like 2

McVay had mostly everything to do with it. Im not going to say everything because Goff still had to go out there and play the game on the field. He had great moments and when the Rams had bad moments it wasnt all on him. Goff was in a situation before McVay where he had to deal with a poor coach in Fisher with no weapons. He now has to deal with no weapons with the Lions and I dont even know who the offensive coach is for the Lions. Give Goff weapons and a good to great offensive coach I think he can still be good in the NFL. I think he can still win games in the NFL. His stats might not look like they did in 2017 and 2018 but he can still win. Right now though the Lions have nobody for Goff to work with.

39 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

Can someone with more knowledge please explain to me how this guy was considered a top young QB in the league just a few seasons ago?  Has he always been this bad, or has he significantly regressed over the last 3 years? 

What I see is an immobile QB, who has fumbling issues and can’t hold onto the ball, is terrible navigating the pocket, refuses to make high risk/high reward type pass attempts, checks down all the time, and is not particularly accurate. 

Obviously McVay and those weapons hid a ton of his flaws, but I do think he has genuinely regressed since 2018 on top of that. Mentally rattled from last few seasons in LA.

He's a QB that needs a lot right to show his strengths, which is to say he's nothing special.... but he was very accurate and smart with the football when attacking all levels in LA from 17-18. I think key was the protection. 

Doubt we will ever see another team pick him as their QB, but I see a long career as journey man with occasional stretches or even seasons where he starts.

• Like 1

Regression + Great Skill Talent/Scheming in LA + Detroit being a total dumpster fire. The offensive talent in Detroit right now reminds me of the Jeff Fisher Rams days. The one thing the offense had going for it was the OL, and injuries have taken that away.

Goff has always been seen as an average quarterback that can be productive if he has the right coach. However, our defense completely broke him in his Super Bowl appearance.

Wouldn't surprise me if he still has nightmares of Dont'a Hightower.

Edited by biggie.

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Detroit is terrible, don't know what anyone expected of him.  With the right guys surrounding him, he can be a very effective QB though.

Feels like he needs to Tannehill it. Basically, find a low-pressure job where he can lean on a great running game and play-action off of it. The guy simply can't carry an offense himself, especially one as talentless as Detroit's. It's going to be a rough year for him.

He's regressed and needs a competent supporting cast to not look like a rookie. The lazy answer is to say he's always been this player but the 2018 offense is pretty comparable to this year with Stafford. 

I think with him it seems to be a confidence issue. You can usually tell after 2 series if he's going to have it or not. 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Feels like he needs to Tannehill it. Basically, find a low-pressure job where he can lean on a great running game and play-action off of it. The guy simply can't carry an offense himself, especially one as talentless as Detroit's. It's going to be a rough year for him.

I wouldn't have minded having him with Sean Payton to be honest.  Would have been an interesting experiment, could still happen at some point down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I wouldn't have minded having him with Sean Payton to be honest.  Would have been an interesting experiment, could still happen at some point down the road.

The one big problem I see with Goff that might not endear him to Payton is his release. For whatever reason, he changed his mechanics in the NFL, which has caused him to elongate his release. He had a slightly above average release in terms of quickness coming out of college. Now, I'd expect it's near the bottom of the league. Don't know why he did it. He is holding the ball lower and drops it down when he starts his motion instead of drawing straight back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

He has yet to win a game in the NFL without Mcvay holding his hand 

This is a massively lame cold take.

Like the 66 yard field goal and missed penalty call before that field goal was ONLY because McVay was not there.

The 54 yard Vikings field goal was going wide until it noticed McVay was not in the building so it course corrected.

People who care about the stats and results of the 2015 Rams or the 2016 Rams are not people who should be taken seriously.

Wait a second? First ballot HoF for Steve Young? What about those all important '86 and '87 Bucs!!!

The same pitch fork crowd was destroying Nick Foles last year. What had that guy ever done?

Find a QB in a bad situation and attack! So much fun!

I’m glad I went from right to wrong to right with him. I thought he was a 2nd to 3rd round qb talent coming out of Cal. He looked okay in the Rams’ dominant years but showed he’s at best a lower end starter in the league. 

In all honesty, he is putting up pretty stellar numbers this year considering he’s Jared Goff and he’s stuck in Detroit.