4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Is this how you felt at the time? I recall you defending Goff hard...

I still defend him. Goff wasn’t all of the problem is what I’m still saying. McVay came in and not just put Goff in great situation to succeed but he put the Rams as a whole in great situation to succeed. Now Goff is with a Lions team that isn’t even close to being good. 

Looks to be mentally broken, no trust in his WRs.

Hard to evaluate right now because this version of the Lions is the worst roster in the league.

By a lot.

And Stafford played the back half of 2018 with equivalent surrounding talent(MJJ missed significant time, Golladay hampered with injuries) and was just as bad. Donald broke his back in W13 and everyone just remembers that he played the final few weeks with a broken back but the guy was not good throwing to Brandon Powell, Andy Jones, Bruce Ellington and TJ Jones.

Edited by BofaDeez54927
3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

TBF, 2 of those wins the team didn't score a TD. They started off 3-1 that year and wheels fell off almost immediately. Keenum was better than Goff as a rookie, especially in that situation. Given what we've seen from the rookies this year and then Keenum in 2017, I don't think that is as bad as an indictment on Goff as you make it out to be.

This year, there's less excuses. The situation sucks but he should also be playing better as he's not a rookie anymore.

Ok previous year. Case keenum won 3 games in the 2015 Rams with the same washed up Jeff fisher. 

Goff just stinks 

22 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Ok previous year. Case keenum won 3 games in the 2015 Rams with the same washed up Jeff fisher. 

Goff just stinks 

Goff definitely stunk as a rookie. As would most rookies in that situation. No point in arguing if you actually think he stunk in 2017 and 2018. 

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

TBF, 2 of those wins the team didn't score a TD. They started off 3-1 that year and wheels fell off almost immediately. Keenum was better than Goff as a rookie, especially in that situation. Given what we've seen from the rookies this year and then Keenum in 2017, I don't think that is as bad as an indictment on Goff as you make it out to be.

This year, there's less excuses. The situation sucks but he should also be playing better as he's not a rookie anymore.

At this point, it's all about accepting him for what he is. He's going to reflect the talent around him. If you put him in a good situation, he can give you good play (excepting last year). If you stick him in the middle of a dumpster fire, he's going to be bad. 

If we miss out on Deshaun Watson, and Sam Darnold doesn't turn it around, then I'd like to see him in Carolina vs drafting a guy in the 1st round.  Not a big fan of the QB class and I think Goff, if we retooled the OL, could have success here.  

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If we miss out on Deshaun Watson, and Sam Darnold doesn't turn it around, then I'd like to see him in Carolina vs drafting a guy in the 1st round.  Not a big fan of the QB class and I think Goff, if we retooled the OL, could have success here.  

How sold are you on the idea that Goff is actually an upgrade over Darnold? Or maybe I should phrase it: Do you think Goff is a big enough upgrade that it actually matters? 

Seems like you are trading an old beat up ford for and old beat up chevy. Same thing, different brand. 

10 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

not sure he moves the needle. Not even sure what's going on with Watson at this point, I think you try and trade for Wilson or Rodgers.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

How sold are you on the idea that Goff is actually an upgrade over Darnold? Or maybe I should phrase it: Do you think Goff is a big enough upgrade that it actually matters? 

Seems like you are trading an old beat up ford for and old beat up chevy. Same thing, different brand. 

I think Goff has a much higher floor.  Darnold has the higher upside, but I just don't know if we'll ever see it.  I don't mind the turnovers tbh, but he just doesn't see the field well a lot of the time and despite his big arm, has not done a good job of pushing the ball downfield.  Anderson has to play better and gotta stop dropping the ball, but at the same time... he didn't just suddenly become a bad receiver overnight.

But we'll see.  I question his football IQ (ie calling back-to-back timeouts... I'd expect my HS QB to know he isn't allowed to do that), but the ability is there.

You probably are right though.  It would likely be trading bad-for-bad.  But other than trading for one of the QBs who will be available (Watson/Rodgers... maybe Russ?), not a lot of enticing options.  I don't see this team settling with Darnold though, if it becomes clear he isn't going to be become the guy they want him to be.  

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

You probably are right though.  It would likely be trading bad-for-bad.  But other than trading for one of the QBs who will be available (Watson/Rodgers... maybe Russ?), not a lot of enticing options.  I don't see this team settling with Darnold though, if it becomes clear he isn't going to be become the guy they want him to be.  

Maybe Kirk Cousins can be had if Zimmer gets fired? He is an actual legit upgrade over both Darnold and Goff. 

That logic might apply to other head coaches on the hot seat. Maybe Daniel Jones or Carr become a tradeable asset. 

Id have to assume Jimmy G is going to be available. But I kinda lump him in with Goff and Darnold as a purgatory level QB. 

It's almost like having a great surrounding cast of players and competent HC/OC actually matters or something?

Funny how most QB seem to thrive in this scenario above while others fail miserably without. 🤔

• Like 2

As I've said for years, Goff is a mediocre at best QB who was essentially "fools gold" early on with Mcvay before teams started to adjust to his all of his flaws as a QB. In other words, Jared Goff is not "like a young Tom Brady", which is what some tried to say around here lol.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

At this point, it's all about accepting him for what he is. He's going to reflect the talent around him. If you put him in a good situation, he can give you good play (excepting last year). If you stick him in the middle of a dumpster fire, he's going to be bad. 

Looks like you gave up the ghost of thinking Goff just needed one more year, and all that 5th year QB stuff.

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I think Goff has a much higher floor.  Darnold has the higher upside, but I just don't know if we'll ever see it.  I don't mind the turnovers tbh, but he just doesn't see the field well a lot of the time and despite his big arm, has not done a good job of pushing the ball downfield.  Anderson has to play better and gotta stop dropping the ball, but at the same time... he didn't just suddenly become a bad receiver overnight.

But we'll see.  I question his football IQ (ie calling back-to-back timeouts... I'd expect my HS QB to know he isn't allowed to do that), but the ability is there.

If Goff is your QB, you have to protect him. The guy simply does not do well with pressure. 

3 hours ago, max said:

Looks like you gave up the ghost of thinking Goff just needed one more year, and all that 5th year QB stuff.

Nobody can predict what he'll do in the future. But he's not going to grow in a positive way in his current situation.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If Goff is your QB, you have to protect him. The guy simply does not do well with pressure. 

Nobody can predict what he'll do in the future. But he's not going to grow in a positive way in his current situation.

As Kurt Warner said, we know what Goff is.

He will never be more than an adequate starter. The limitations are there for anyone with an unbiased eye to see.