2nd Quarter Mock 2018

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I've felt the same way as well. Last year we we had a solid compliment of WRs but we also were not allowing much pressure for Hoyer or Barkley. There is a steady regression for this OL throughout the season.

Unless some impact looking player falls to our first round pick, I'd almost certainly go OT with our first pick and then barring one or more quality FA pickups, I'd add another Oline pick in the later rounds. Oline has marginal players in key spots, at least one injury plagued starter, and almost no quality depth. Even guys like Russell Wilson struggle without an Oline and Trubisky is no RW. It all starts and ends with how Trubisky develops now and improving his protection, the ability of the run game to force defenses to stop the run, and adding quality depth are paramount. The only position group that addresses this is improving the Oline.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:32 AM, 51to54 said:

Unless some impact looking player falls to our first round pick, I'd almost certainly go OT with our first pick and then barring one or more quality FA pickups, I'd add another Oline pick in the later rounds. Oline has marginal players in key spots, at least one injury plagued starter, and almost no quality depth. Even guys like Russell Wilson struggle without an Oline and Trubisky is no RW. It all starts and ends with how Trubisky develops now and improving his protection, the ability of the run game to force defenses to stop the run, and adding quality depth are paramount. The only position group that addresses this is improving the Oline.

The only realistic change on the OL in 2018 is with Massie though. I don’t know that an upgrade at RT is enough to change our offense. Our OL is already our strongest position group on offense (before you say RB, Cohen has just 71 yards on 30 carries since week 3). It’s a lot harder to do that job well with an overly predictable, one dimensional playcalling list. Think about how much better our own defense has been even in down years when we could force our opponents to be one dimensional. Our opponents walk into the stadium knowing we aren’t throwing downfield, we woefully underutilize the screen/draw game (have we run a single draw all year?), we rarely run quick hitting crossing routes and we run the ball on first down 75% of the time. How much harder does that make the job of our OL, regardless of who our skill position guys are?

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The only realistic change on the OL in 2018 is with Massie though. I don’t know that an upgrade at RT is enough to change our offense. Our OL is already our strongest position group on offense (before you say RB, Cohen has just 71 yards on 30 carries since week 3). It’s a lot harder to do that job well with an overly predictable, one dimensional playcalling list. Think about how much better our own defense has been even in down years when we could force our opponents to be one dimensional. Our opponents walk into the stadium knowing we aren’t throwing downfield, we woefully underutilize the screen/draw game (have we run a single draw all year?), we rarely run quick hitting crossing routes and we run the ball on first down 75% of the time. How much harder does that make the job of our OL, regardless of who our skill position guys are?

I really think I’m the draft they are going to look at the interior in mid-late rounds and RT I’m free agency. Fully admitting I don’t know who is available in FA yet. 

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I really think I’m the draft they are going to look at the interior in mid-late rounds and RT I’m free agency. Fully admitting I don’t know who is available in FA yet. 

Jordan Morgan has been put on IR as basically a redshirt year for this very purpose...

I think as has been said at times the OL is currently facing a challenge that very few would overcome...9 man boxes on 1st and 2nd down followed by exotic blitz on 3rd and long...it must be so easy for a DC to gameplan for us and the OL is facing the brunt of it.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I'd give RB the edge on Howard alone, but RB and Oline performance are closing bound to each other so Oline is a legit 'best' of offense claim. However, I think this shows how lousy most other pieces are and not how good the Oline is. 

Long is constantly injured. Grasu is a wasted pick. Sitton is getting 'old'. Massie appears to  be a liability. I think our investment in Trubisky more than warrants putting some better bodies in front of him for an Oline already stocked at about 3 of the 5 positions. I don't believe we can continue to count on Long for the long term and he's the closest thing we have to an anchor on the Oline. Oh, and we do need to bring Orton in to teach Trubisky how to throw the ball away as he's doing things like taking 4 sacks on only 11 throws. :D

6 hours ago, 51to54 said:

I'd give RB the edge on Howard alone, but RB and Oline performance are closing bound to each other so Oline is a legit 'best' of offense claim. However, I think this shows how lousy most other pieces are and not how good the Oline is. 

Long is constantly injured. Grasu is a wasted pick. Sitton is getting 'old'. Massie appears to  be a liability. I think our investment in Trubisky more than warrants putting some better bodies in front of him for an Oline already stocked at about 3 of the 5 positions. I don't believe we can continue to count on Long for the long term and he's the closest thing we have to an anchor on the Oline. Oh, and we do need to bring Orton in to teach Trubisky how to throw the ball away as he's doing things like taking 4 sacks on only 11 throws. :D

This part is a joke right? KL75 has missed 10 games in his career, 9 of them to his SEVERLY broken ankle last year, and 1 of them due to that same ankle issue this year. He played all last year and so far all of this year with a torn shoulder muscle. To say he is "constantly" injured is such a joke. It's more like, dude is playing through injuries that would make mere mortals cry in pain and be on bed rest for months. but, sure, he hasn't been as good as he was when he was 100% his rookie/sophomore season 9_9

Archived