Packets sign Merciless

mikebpackfan

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I saw this thread in the NFL general news thread.

Texans fans think he's cooked and was never very good, outside of one year.

Then I looked at his stats.  3 sacks so far.  I thought that was okay for a cooked player.

Then I looked at the combined sacks so far for P and Gary.  3.5.  Then I cried some sad tears.

The pressure rates are still good for us I think

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

I'd wager not one thing has changed with the FO operations since the signing of Cobb.

I'd agree that FO operations are not likely to have changed, but that is not the same thing as saying Gute's mindset was unaffected by the off-season drama coming from Rodgers.

I really wanted him in that Nick Perry draft class. We were so close to getting him. I remember thinking either him or Bruce Irvin would fall to us. He took good care of himself, I think only him and Ingram are the only two edge guys left from that class.

Edited by St Vince

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'd agree that FO operations are not likely to have changed, but that is not the same thing as saying Gute's mindset was unaffected by the off-season drama coming from Rodgers.

Well, I dont get into making claims about the mindset of others. Psychic I'm not.

On a more concrete basis, I think if the team was healthier - a fair % of these transactions wouldnt be happening.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The pressure rates are still good for us I think

Lets see.

Pro Football Reference

Preston has 2 sacks in 6 games.  8 pressures. 13 total tackles.

Gary has 1.5 sacks in 6 games.  11 pressures.  18 total tackles.

Mercilus has 3 sacks in 6 games (only started 2 games).  5 pressures.  12 total tackles.

I don't know what a "good" pressure rate is, but Mercilus should fill in nicely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Lets see.

Pro Football Reference

Mercilus has 3 sacks in 6 games (only started 2 games).  5 pressures.  12 total tackles.

I don't know what a "good" pressure rate is, but Mercilus should fill in nicely.

Its weird PFF has Gary double of that with 25.  

I like this pick up quite a bit.  Mercilus isn't an elite pass rusher and never was IMO, but hard to overstate the value of 134 career games.  Man has plenty of experience and fits nicely into this defensive scheme.  He's more of an effort rusher at this point, but he knows how to use his hands and he's got a pretty full cupboard of pass rush moves so you can play him as part of a lot of different formations/personnel groups. 

Honestly this would have me pretty hyped up if it wasn't for all the injuries in the front seven right now.  Team is really lacking a star rusher with Z on IR and Preston out/limited.  Mercilus helps and it's a nice piece to have, but complementary rushers work better with something to complement and right now only Kenny is playing at that A-Tier level in the rush game.  I had high hopes for Gary but he's still holding himself back, and Keke has righted the ship after those tough first few weeks but is still far from being a star.  Think this group can tread water for a little while but they need their horses back down the stretch if this thing is going all the way.

16 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Lets see.

Pro Football Reference

I don't know what a pressure rate should be, but sack rate usually is around 40% of pressures, so P and Gary just aren't getting lucky right now - P should have double the sacks, G should have triple the sacks.