Is Matthew Slater a hall of famer?

paul-mac

Yes. Show me another player with 9 Pro Bowls who is not in the Hall of Fame. Okay, there are actually 3 offensive linemen who are not in the HOF with 9 Pro Bowls the latest being Ruben Brown. If Slater however does get nominated for a 10th Pro Bowl this year there would be no company of players who have not been selected to the HOF.

22 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Yes. Show me another player with 9 Pro Bowls who is not in the Hall of Fame. Okay, there are actually 3 offensive linemen who are not in the HOF with 9 Pro Bowls the latest being Ruben Brown. If Slater however does get nominated for a 10th Pro Bowl this year there would be no company of players who have not been selected to the HOF.

Are we still using Pro Bowls, for anything other than name recognition?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

And those 9 Pro Bowl selections should come with a heavy asterisk because he's a ST's player who isn't a returner. Like it or not, that doesn't hold the same weight as anyone else.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I'm someone who puts a decent amount of thought into my pro bowl ballot every year, and even I just check the box for whatever Chiefs player is on there for special teams, unless they were terrible.

Slater had years where he was the best, but also years he got praise because he was on a list of names where he was the only one where people were like "Hey, Ive heard of that guy!"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kramxel said:

Something that isn't terrible.

Trevor Simien, Elvis Grbac, Vince Young, Kerry Collins & Derek Anderson have made the Pro Bowl. 

Stephen Alexander has made the Pro Bowl.

Mike Jenkins has made the Pro Bowl.

That and many other examples disqualifies Pro Bowls as a serious marker of lifetime achievement.   All-Pro team, we're moving into the right direction.  But yeah, please, no Pro Bowl talk as a legit reason to support / argue against players' lifetime achievements.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Slater has two first-team All Pros, which is a great feather in your cap to have as a special teams player that wasn't a returner. Steve Tasker has zero, but I feel like he's more fondly remembered anyhow and even to the casual observer stood out due to making big game changing plays on special teams. To this day I don't feel like the league has had another Steve Tasker. Someone legit put together a 51 minute video of Steve Tasker highlights on YouTube.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

I’m generally anti-‘hall of fame’ but that’s another topic

Im a Pats fan and I wouldn’t put him in any form of high profile hall of anything. 

he is very smart for the 47 seconds combined he’s on the field every Sunday. He takes great angles and cuts off return lanes, funnelling returners into dark alleys (this will be why he has a low tackle count….come on guys). 

but no player who is on the field for as little as he is deserves ‘hall of fame’. Preposterous. To share a hall with the likes of LT, Reggie White, Tom Brady etc? Not for me

• Like 1