Is Matthew Slater a hall of famer?

paul-mac

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

His Wiki says seven... I wasn't too clear on that, to be honest.

I'm guessing he never had any recognition by the Associated Press. But now that I think of it, I don't think the AP back then even had slots for positions like gunners compared to now. All they had were slots for kick and punt returners. Because Tasker would have definitely been a first team pro all selection during his career at least once. 

• Like 1

The reality is, there have likely been many quality ST coverage unit players over the years, some just as good as Slater, that you never even heard their names.   The only real reason why people know Slater's name is because he played for such a high profile team and the announcers talked about him alot during the playoffs and big games.     Put him on the Lions his entire career and he wouldve never gotten close to the same recognition, even if he was the same caliber of player.

• Like 3

Theres currently no punters or returners in the HOF, the only modern kicker is Andersen, so before even considering a gunner theres a logjam there.
Vinatieri lock, Tucker lock if he keeps going strong, Hester? veterans comittee maybe. I dont think any other recent ST player has a good shot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ifeelasleep said:

Theres currently no punters or returners in the HOF, the only modern kicker is Andersen, so before even considering a gunner theres a logjam there.
Vinatieri lock, Tucker lock if he keeps going strong, Hester? veterans comittee maybe. I dont think any other recent ST player has a good shot.

Did you mean punt returners? Because Ray Guy is a punter, and is enshrined. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Did you mean punt returners? Because Ray Guy is a punter, and is enshrined. 

you're right i guess the long campaign to get him in when i was growing up stuck with me, my mistake.

It took who most considered the best punter ever 23 years to get in, hard for gunners or long snappers to have a shot.