2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

12 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I’d go with this option, with the owner being on a five year contract to mirror the five years that Paton has left on his deal.

If the new owner doesn’t buy in to the Paton/HC project at all then it’s on him to pony up the cash and clean the house, but more likely it will just deter anyone from buying the team if they’re not bought into the Paton led project. 

To reinforce the above point - FWIW the Broncos' franchise net worth will be estimated at close to 3.75 billion dollars. A 4-year HC hire, combined with Paton's 5-year contract, is peanuts in the economic scale.   I doubt the GM/HC combo would deter any good owner who understands the big picture (and at that price, they're all about the big picture).  From an economics perspective, again a good owner won't interfere with the GM's decision, unless they don't believe in the GM - in which case, clean the entire house.   

I don't know who in the media is suggesting that a HC decision should wait, but Renck & Allbright are on record as saying it's coming after the regular season ends.   Given how plugged in they are, I'd stick with that premise, until one of the trusted sources starts making noise otherwise.  Anything else is pretty much clickbait at this time of year.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I keep reading about 4 and 5 year deals for our HC. 

Sorry, but Denvers 2-3 years and you're out and there's not an HC candidate around that doesn't know that. This is not a patient fanbase.

While i think the fanbase is impatient, i think for the right HC that'll be fine.

Shanahan had success and coached 13 years.

McDaniels rubbed everyone the wrong way

Fox had 3 years and a SB appearance and i don't think any one from the fanbase would've complained if he had been kept but Elway made that decision

Kubiak could've coached for a long time after 2015 if his health had held up.

Vance and Vic just haven't had results.

The right new coach hire, with competitive games will be given a long leash IMO.  

Gotta make the playoffs for sure and having a passable offense would probably help keep the fans off their back as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Sorry, but Denvers 2-3 years and you're out and there's not an HC candidate around that doesn't know that. This is not a patient fanbase.

The issue is that it's pretty much standard for HC's to get 4 year deals at a minimum.   Even relatively unknown guys (for the NFL) at the time of hiring (Zac Taylor, Kliff Kingsbury, Brandon Staley) - all got 4 year deals.   The only HC hire where it's not known on the length, was CLE & Freddie Kitchens (CLE's owner Jimmy Haslem is really a bad owner, Hue Jackson, GM carousels, etc., etc. - so not really the standard).  ESPN sucks, but they're right about this point - 4 years is the standard minimum term.  Given the lack of security with the gig it’s hard not to see why they won’t take less than 4 year deals. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32821569/how-rising-college-football-head-coach-salaries-force-nfl-adapt-get-left-behind

Edited by Broncofan

55 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Vance and Vic just haven't had results.

That's the statement that kind of stuns me. It's just not true. 

We weren't even respectable when he took over, not close. We now have the NFL's top rated scoring defense, a developing OL thats top 10 in run blocking and good to excellent talent at the skill positions. Outside of QB we've got one of the strongest rosters in the NFL and are literally a QB and OC away from serious SB contention.

How is that not results?

25 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

We weren't even respectable when he took over, not close. We now have the NFL's top rated scoring defense, a developing OL thats top 10 in run blocking and good to excellent talent at the skill positions. Outside of QB we've got one of the strongest rosters in the NFL and are literally a QB and OC away from serious SB contention.

How is that not results?

19-28 record. Three years of building his program and the best he can do is 7-8? It’s just not good enough. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

19-28 record. Three years of building his program and the best he can do is 7-8? It’s just not good enough. 

And to add to the context - we're 7-8 this year with 4 of the wins against bottom-5 teams, and a 5th against a bottom 10 team.   7-10 was cited by many, myself included, as the likely floor, given the 4th place schedule.      

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

How many of those coaches actually finished their deals though? 

Give a coach a 5 year deal to marry with the fact that Paton is one year in to a 6 year contract. Both have 5 years left.

You re-evaluate in 3 years time. If it’s a total disaster you fire them with 2 years left. If it goes well you extend them. If the jury is still out, let them play out their penultimate year before making a decision (NEVER let a coach or GM actually go into their final year) 

Paton gets a mulligan for a poor record in year 1 for 2 reasons. Firstly, he’s been hamstrung by having a head coach in Fangio who is out of his depth. Secondly, his recruitment (particularly in the draft) has been highly impressive, which is ultimately the GMs job. 

However, for the Paton project to be successful you need a head coach who can equip the players to execute Paton’s philosophy. If Paton really thinks Fangio can be the guy for the next 3-5 years then by all means retain him, but that has to come from Paton. Otherwise, George Paton needs to hand pick his head coach to execute his project. 

10 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I read in an SI article Dan Quinn has sought to work with George Paton before as a head coach/ gm combo. But this is Patons first gig as a gm. Anyone know what they're referring too? Did Dan Quinn interview for the Vikings before and they lumped George ad a GM?

They worked together in Miami from 2005-6.  Quinn apparently lobbied for Paton to interview for ATL GM position in 2015.   Paton passed on the interview. 

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/18/denver-broncos-coach-dan-quinn-linked-to-gm-george-paton/

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

How is that not results?

As others have said, gotta have results.  3 years of no playoffs, haven't beaten the Chiefs since Obama was in office, and outside of his ability to coach defense what has Vic done to say he can be the HC, why do you think he should get more years if you're running the team?

I think he's gotten a fair shake, definitely has gotten the defense talent up, but the offenses have been horrid, game management somehow even worse, and again, no playoffs with what was regarded as one of the easiest schedules in the league this year.

I don't think 3 years for Vic is an indication this fanbase is impatient.   We make playoffs this year he probably has a job for next year too

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

How is that not results?

This is absolute revisionist nonsense btw. In the three post Manning, pre Fangio years, the Broncos went 20-28 with no playoff appearances. In the three years with Fangio we have a near identical 19-28 record and also no trips to the postseason.

The idea that the Fangio era has been even a small improvement on the Vance Joseph/late stage Kubiak era is a false one. It’s been a continuation of the total mediocrity that we have been going through since Manning retired. 

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This is absolute revisionist nonsense btw. In the three post Manning, pre Fangio years, the Broncos went 20-28 with no playoff appearances. In the three years with Fangio we have a near identical 19-28 record and also no trips to the postseason.

The idea that the Fangio era has been even a small improvement on the Vance Joseph/late stage Kubiak era is a false one. It’s been a continuation of the total mediocrity that we have been going through since Manning retired. 

Mediocrity?? The Broncos have sucked since Kubiak's last season, that is when the wheels fell off.  If you remember Kubiak coached a 9-7 record with Siemian at QB.  

The other interesting tidbit for Allbright - his continued love for Dan Quinn.  

Besides the obvious connection to how well he's run the DAL D and what he could do here - remember, he was the DC during the Legion of Boom 2013-14 years before joining ATL as HC in 2015 - so he'd likely have very good rapport with Russell Wilson, given the SB ring and 2nd trip in back to back years.   

With the increasing doubt on whether A-Rod is truly going to leave GB given their success, that's another layer to the Quinn-HC angle.   To me, I'd really like to know if Quinn has learned from his ATL days on game management - much like Fangio, this was an issue in ATL (not as bad as Fangio here, though - it's hard to struggle that much; but it's still a big factor when teams play in close games).

If he's learned to improve on game management from his ATL days, and he can find a great OC that can leverage the (hopefully) QB upgrade we bring in, all for it.    Obviously more than 1 guy, but the Wilson connection is worth recognizing as another factor in the love.  

Edited by Broncofan