2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

My money’s on Dan Quinn, which I don’t hate if we get a decent OC in. Looking at head coaches who are on the hot seat this year, I’d go ahead and bring in Matt Nagy at offensive coordinator. He’s a bright young mind who’s managed to somehow find a decent record on a poor team. 

Ewww, Dan Quinn is a good DC, not a HC. I am only going by what I saw here in Atlanta.  Yeah, the Falcons went to a Super Bowl with Quinn, but that team was stacked, and they should have won that Super Bowl. 

I wonder what happens if Brian Flores gets the ax?  I saw the faces of Dolphins fans yesterday were one fan put a bag over his head. I know the Dolphins are worse than us right now, but the Dolphins don't have much. But Flores seems decent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Left field shout. I don’t think the Raiders let him get out of Vegas, but if they do, what about Rich Bisaccia? 

He's 2 games into his coaching career against 2 bad teams. He's got to finish strong I'd assume to keep the Raiders job. 

I will say, he's been a breath of fresh air. No ego, managing the team, letting his coaches coach and overseeing it all with aplomb. 

The "young offensive genius" cliché hiring is all the rage right now. But I like the approach of a guy like Bisaccia. ST coach, strong leadership and ability to connect with players. Hire the right coordinator and let them coach while you oversee it all. I prefer my HC that way as opposed to calling the offense/defense. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's 2 games into his coaching career against 2 bad teams. He's got to finish strong I'd assume to keep the Raiders job. 

I will say, he's been a breath of fresh air. No ego, managing the team, letting his coaches coach and overseeing it all with aplomb. 

The "young offensive genius" cliché hiring is all the rage right now. But I like the approach of a guy like Bisaccia. ST coach, strong leadership and ability to connect with players. Hire the right coordinator and let them coach while you oversee it all. I prefer my HC that way as opposed to calling the offense/defense. 

If we were to go down the ST coach route then it’s critical to get good coordinators on both sides, preferably at least one being a former HC 

15 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If we were to go down the ST coach route then it’s critical to get good coordinators on both sides, preferably at least one being a former HC 

The Raiders have 3 former HC's on staff (Bradley, Cable, Marinelli). Which I'm sure has helped Bissacia find his footing as HC.

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders have 3 former HC's on staff (Bradley, Cable, Marinelli). Which I'm sure has helped Bissacia find his footing as HC.

Surprised Cable was brought back to your staff after he was fired as HC and also punched one of his assistants 

12 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I don’t agree with this take. We hired Fangio when it went completely against the grain of hiring young hot coordinator types. Vance Joseph was neither a good ol boy nor a conventional hire. Kubiak was definitely a throwback but came at a time when “retread” coaches weren’t getting much of a shot (his success led to others to get their second chance, for good or bad). 

the only coach that followed NFL trends of the time, was an inside the box hire, and a good ol boy was John Fox, and as i argued at the time was the right hire for an organization looking for stability. 

Let me rephrase. "Something outside the box for this organization." Fangio, to me, was very much like Kubiak (not results wise), after getting burned on a younger hire like Joseph. The problem for me is that Denver hasn't approached coaching hires in a remotely unbiased way. Interviews seem to have largely been a farce with the candidate we want identified going in.

I stand by my point- Denver keeps pursuing the wrong kinds of candidates and doing so in the wrong way. I do think Paton will be different in this respect because he's been in a FO role longer than Elway was.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

After the Fangio era ends, the next coach cannot be calling plays. Fangio is dreadful with time management by his own account because he's too focused on playcalling. How this hasn't been addressed by now is beyond me, but it's a competitive disadvantage for a team that can't afford to have them.

For whatever reason, it seems easier for offensive guys to call plays and still carry out their HC responsibilities. A lot of the successful defensive head coaches don’t call plays but most offensive head coaches or at least a higher % seem to. 

The disadvantage of the CEO coach is obviously needing to hit on two coordinators, and also worrying about them getting poached every year. But it does feel like if you’re getting 75% of Fangio the DC and 75% of whatever HC Fangio has the capacity to become, what are we really doing? Next year, Fangio will probably turn around the defense of one of 20-25 teams who offer him a DC job. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Ewww, Dan Quinn is a good DC, not a HC. I am only going by what I saw here in Atlanta.  Yeah, the Falcons went to a Super Bowl with Quinn, but that team was stacked, and they should have won that Super Bowl. 

I wonder what happens if Brian Flores gets the ax?  I saw the faces of Dolphins fans yesterday were one fan put a bag over his head. I know the Dolphins are worse than us right now, but the Dolphins don't have much. But Flores seems decent. 

No way to Dan Quinn. I remember when he was a candidate some here wanted him as opposed to Kubes because of the short-sighted “oh! A good coordinator from a good team, I bet he’ll be a good HC” and if fact the only real successful season he had was when he had Kyle Shanahan as his OC, who won Assistant Coach of the Year award that season (and then crapped the bed in the Super Bowl). 

Regarding Flores, all I can say is that I’m shocked that a Belichick assistant is not having runaway success with another team. Who could have foreseen that? 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No way to Dan Quinn. I remember when he was a candidate some here wanted him as opposed to Kubes because of the short-sighted “oh! A good coordinator from a good team, I bet he’ll be a good HC” and if fact the only real successful season he had was when he had Kyle Shanahan as his OC, who won Assistant Coach of the Year award that season (and then crapped the bed in the Super Bowl). 

Regarding Flores, all I can say is that I’m shocked that a Belichick assistant is not having runaway success with another team. Who could have foreseen that? 

I'm just going to point out that Kyle Shanahan's record in his last 22 games is 8-14. He's obviously earned some benefit of the doubt with his 2019 performance, but I do think some folks are willing to erase those last 22 games from memory. Just saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Whatever happened to the Dave Toub buzz around the league from a few years ago? I love special teams guys.

He's apparently a terrible interviewer.   Which ppl say, "hey it's only an interview" - but it speaks to their ability to get everyone on board as the top guy.   

As a contrast, Brandon Staley absolutely blew away the LAC FO with his interview.   Judging by his pressers and the in-the-locker room shorts we see, we can see why it matters so much.  It's meaningless without coaching talent but I think Toub is never going to sniff a job as HC.  Which is just as well - we've seen & lived through enough examples of "great coordinator, terrible HC" to go through another.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I'm just going to point out that Kyle Shanahan's record in his last 22 games is 8-14. He's obviously earned some benefit of the doubt with his 2019 performance, but I do think some folks are willing to erase those last 22 games from memory. Just saying.

He’s underperformed, no question about it. That game last night, rain and all, turned go the heat a few notches from what I’ve read. That’s a big, passionate fanbase like ours here, and they thought they had their guy but the results of late have been troubling.