2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

45 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My beat reporter friend told me somethings along the lines of what Allbright has been saying that, should a coaching change me made after the season, he expects Paton to go for a veteran with prior HCing experience to be a CEO type and pair him with a Shanahan tree OC. He added the caveat that a new owner could change that, but it’s what things look like right now knowing what he knows about how Paton operates.

If that meant, for example, Dan Quinn and a moderately exciting OC, I don't think I'd hate that.

18 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If that meant, for example, Dan Quinn and a moderately exciting OC, I don't think I'd hate that.

I agree.

I think Dan Quinn will get some looks. As will Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles, Raheem Morris and Leslie Frazier. Just off the top of my head.

Two coaches who fit the bill as former-HCs, Mac and Vance, obviously will not be options given their prior tenures here were not exactly well received. 

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree.

I think Dan Quinn will get some looks. As will Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles, Raheem Morris and Leslie Frazier. Just off the top of my head.

Two coaches who fit the bill as former-HCs, Mac and Vance, obviously will not be options given their prior tenures here were not exactly well received. 

Can you kick the dust off of Jeff Fisher? 

My vote from the list above would be Dennis Allen so he can exact revenge on the Raiders twice a year, and then Todd Bowles makes good sense. 

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My beat reporter friend told me somethings along the lines of what Allbright has been saying that, should a coaching change me made after the season, he expects Paton to go for a veteran with prior HCing experience to be a CEO type and pair him with a Shanahan tree OC. He added the caveat that a new owner could change that, but it’s what things look like right now knowing what he knows about how Paton operates.

I think thats what he thought he'd be getting in Shurmer. He's got to be furious.

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Correct me if my memory is wrong here, but back when we first hired Fangio, wasn’t there pretty serious discussion of brining Kubiak back to run the offensive half of the team? Almost like an assistant head coach role? But they decided not to because they were worried that it might create a power struggle with their rookie head coach. I swear that was a thing. Maybe Kubs would be willing to come back as OC with a different HC in place? I don’t think he’d have any interest in the head coaching job, for health reasons if nothing else. But if he was willing to run the offense 2-3 seasons ago, I don’t see why he wouldn’t still be now. 

Edited by 1234567

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

But Paton didn’t hire Shurmur. He retained him.

Vic hired Shurmur, obviously with the blessing of Elway/Ellis, before Paton was hired after Vic and Scangarello proved unable to work together.

I'm aware of that.  The only point I'm making is he thought Shurmer could deliver a WCO. He was wrong. That's one change that will definitely be made this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Correct me if my memory is wrong here, but back when we first hired Fangio, wasn’t there pretty serious discussion of brining Kubiak back to run the offensive half of the team? Almost like an assistant head coach role? But they decided not to because they were worried that it might create a power struggle with their rookie head coach. I swear that was a thing. Maybe Kubs would be willing to come back as OC with a different HC in place? I don’t think he’d have any interest in the head coaching job, for health reasons if nothing else. But if he was willing to run the offense 2-3 seasons ago, I don’t see why he wouldn’t still be now. 

If I’m not mistaken Kubiak wanted Dennison as OL coach but Elway decided to hire Munchak (who clearly indicated he wanted to be in Denver in any capacity) and Kubes walked.

• Like 2

I’m sure that’s correct because Kubiak was already back in Denver working on the FO during Vance Joseph’s ill-fated second and final year as HC, and there was talk of him moving back to the coaching side. 

To be honest we should have never fired Kubiak as HC. In two years he got us a SB ring and then narrowly missed the playoffs in year 2. That’s an excellent record. 

Edited by paul-mac

12 hours ago, 1234567 said:

That's half right. The Trust (i.e. Ellis) wanted Kubiak to be OC and, as you say, almost a Co-HC, which Vic the HC handling the media responsibilities, going to league meetings, smoozing corporate sponsors, etc. The problem was Kubiak wanted to bring back Dennison, Pariani, et. al., and Elway wanted a younger, more forward-thinking lot of positional coaches so it fell apart. That's when they hired Scangarello. 

• Like 1