2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

On 11/25/2021 at 5:09 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

That clip of Jason Garrett insisting on a member of the media calling him "Coach" was one of the most cringe things I've seen this season.

The guy is a dinosaur in his attitude, Coaching and Playcalling.

No thanks.

That clip is so absurd. Garrett sucks lol. I don't want him anywhere near this team. Denver needs to not be afraid to go get someone with fresh ideas instead of a bunch of retreads. I'm fine if the HC is a second-chance guy, but at OC, I would HATE to see this team bring in some washed up has-been with an outdated scheme. That's part of our continued failures on offense, after all. 

• Like 3

I have to imagine there's virtually zero chance we bring in a primarily defensive minded coach unless there's a very compelling OC alongside him. The Broncos have invested so much draft capital and money in the offensive side of the ball, it would be insane to not bring in a creative mind to make something happen there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a point to remember - the new coaching interview rules (literally new for this year) allow teams to interview prospective HC candidates in the last 2 weeks of the regular season, to get ahead of problems in waiting to interview assistants who are in the playoffs.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-teams-can-now-interview-head-coaching-candidates-during-last-two-weeks-of-se

I'd think if we lose to LV next week (or even if we don't but are for all purposes eliminated by what goes down on Week 16, given Allbright's reported playoffs-or-fired mandate for Fangio), we may see a break with tradition on waiting until Black Monday for teams to fire their lame-duck HC's.   Something to watch for.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 8:24 AM, broncos67 said:

I have to imagine there's virtually zero chance we bring in a primarily defensive minded coach unless there's a very compelling OC alongside him. The Broncos have invested so much draft capital and money in the offensive side of the ball, it would be insane to not bring in a creative mind to make something happen there.

Maybe if it is Dennis Allen and Klint Kubiak? 

From Woody’s column today that was linked to in the Ownership thread, he lists the coaching candidates as follows: 

The possibilities include offensive coordinators Eric Bieniemy, Brian Daboll, Kellen Moore, Byron Leftwich, (Colorado native) Mike McDaniel, Nathaniel Hackett and former Eagles head coach Doug Pederson.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:40 PM, Broncofan said:

I'd think if we lose to LV next week (or even if we don't but are for all purposes eliminated by what goes down on Week 16, given Allbright's reported playoffs-or-fired mandate for Fangio), we may see a break with tradition on waiting until Black Monday for teams to fire their lame-duck HC's.   Something to watch for.

A couple of interesting nuggets from Allbright tonight:

Not that surprising, but Allbright is sticking to the playoffs-or-else mandate.

REALLY interesting, though - that original list he floated out as a weather balloon - to see who else would run with in blindly, to smoke out guys like MHR.   I really hope that 1st list he floated out was truly bogus - to say it was a brutal set of names was an understatement. 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

From Woody’s column today that was linked to in the Ownership thread, he lists the coaching candidates as follows: 

The possibilities include offensive coordinators Eric Bieniemy, Brian Daboll, Kellen Moore, Byron Leftwich, (Colorado native) Mike McDaniel, Nathaniel Hackett and former Eagles head coach Doug Pederson.

The name Allbright constantly brings is Dan Quinn. Apparently there are connections between him and Paton.

Byron Leftwich is the one name that scares the bejeezus out of me. Remember the last time an OC who had little actual say in the offense and was basically a glorified water boy was hired to be a Head Coach? Adam Gase. He ran two different AFC East franchises in to the ground. 

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That is far from an inspiring collection of individuals

McDaniel because of his experience with the Shanahan/Kubiak offence (but his OC title is in name only) and Hackett if Rodgers was coming to Denver - are probably the most obvious. I think Moore needs more time and experience.

Bieniemy and Leftwich are living off of Reid and Brady and I agree with paul-mac, they have the potential to be another Gase. Daboll is from the BB Pats tree and has only produced when Allen came good - so that's a pass as far as I am concerned.

Pederson is meh - if we are going that route I would prefer Quinn or Allen.

The problem is not just who the HC is - but who is hired to fill out the other coaching positions. We need pretty much a clean sweep and the rest of the coaching staff are also going to have to be the right fit.

Edited by jolly red giant