Why is Sam Darnold so bad?

Slingin' Sammy

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Darnold lacks it.  Cliche, but the best way to sum it up with him.  Said it in a Gameday Discussion thread too.  I think he's got a very good physical skill-set and I absolutely think he's good enough to be a back-up.  Could even be a high-end back-up on a team with enough talent, like the Saints once MT returns.  

But he suffers from the same thing Teddy suffered from.  The lack of a strong, competitive drive.  No fire.  I'm not saying he doesn't love the game of football, I'd never accuse an NFL player of that unless they gave me a good reason to.  But you can just tell when he plays that he doesn't have that edge that other guys have.  All the talent in the world, but he lacks that feel of the game that the competitive guys have.  

Cam Newton was far from the best, but he was incredibly competitive.  Jake Delhomme was an average QB, but dude played his tail off every single week and would do anything for a W.  Darnold can't go into overdrive like those guys could.  

This.

This is also what helped develop Josh Allen into an MVP caliber player. Uber competitive player that his teammates rallied behind from day one.

I never understood the Darnold hype. I don't care what the experts say, I don't care that he allegedly has the makeup of a franchise QB, I don't care that he went to a big school. If a QB is turnover prone in College, he is very likely to be turnover prone in the NFL where the defenses are infinitely more complex and the athletes are much bigger and faster.

One reason why Darnold is so bad is because he was drafted so high, so expectations were also high from the start. 

The reason he was drafted so high is because it appeared a poor QB class and people needed to be hyped up because the NFL likes to make the draft all about QBs, maybe a 6-10 non QB blue chippers, and more or less nothing else. 

Josh Allen and Lamar turned out great from that class but one needed an extremely specific system to learn in while the other took 3 careful, excellent years of development from coaches. Lamar doesn't really fall 8nto that group either as he was outside the hyped up "no. 1 overall" group. Mayfield is a Garoppolo or Cousins level QB - good but not great. 

I don't get around to watching as much college football as I would like, but come February/March a rule of thumb that serves well is if multiple QBs are being hyped as no. 1 overall quality, odds are most or none of them are anything close. 

Edited by Billy86

He looked like a slightly more mobile version of every USC QB of the last 15 years. 

Carolina’s OL is awful and doing him no favors. But he doesn’t have it between the ears. And that was something you could see at USC if you paid attention. Most QBs who turn out to be good are more decisive with the ball where as he would stand there patting the ball which is something you can do places like USC and Alabama. And physically, by NFL standards, everything about him is average.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:51 AM, iknowcool said:

Darnold lacks it.  Cliche, but the best way to sum it up with him.  Said it in a Gameday Discussion thread too.  I think he's got a very good physical skill-set and I absolutely think he's good enough to be a back-up.  Could even be a high-end back-up on a team with enough talent, like the Saints once MT returns.  

But he suffers from the same thing Teddy suffered from.  The lack of a strong, competitive drive.  No fire.  I'm not saying he doesn't love the game of football, I'd never accuse an NFL player of that unless they gave me a good reason to.  But you can just tell when he plays that he doesn't have that edge that other guys have.  All the talent in the world, but he lacks that feel of the game that the competitive guys have.  

Cam Newton was far from the best, but he was incredibly competitive.  Jake Delhomme was an average QB, but dude played his tail off every single week and would do anything for a W.  Darnold can't go into overdrive like those guys could.  

It's that plus he's a mental midget. Any type of adversity and he crumbles and the players around him can tell. While Teddy is extremely risk adverse; Sam plays like he HAS to throw risky passes to validate himself to the people around him. He would frequently pass up open receivers for more difficult passes.

Everyone was trying to say that he'd have a resurgence in Carolina and that Joe Brady would salvage him and turn him into the next Tannehill.

A few months back I wrote in a thread how I knew Darnold didn't have "it" when he had the 4 INT game at Miami, a game that I was actually at. You see things from a different perspective when you're at the game live. Darnold simply does not have pocket presence aka a "feel" for the pass rush and has very bad field vision which leads to him either completely not seeing defenders sitting in their zones, or missing wide open guys because he's locked onto his primary read. His physical tools have gotten him by but he doesn't have it between the ears like others have said, and it's stuff that quite frankly cannot be taught.

• Like 1