Bengals Got It Right

Fresh Prince

Man was I wrong about the bengals. Heading into the draft I was one of those guys, who thought they should draft Sewell. QB was coming off an injury and they already had decent WRs. When they drafted Chase I hated the pick, but the Burrow to Chase combo will be lethal for the next few years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Man was I wrong about the bengals. Heading into the draft I was one of those guys, who thought they should draft Sewell. QB was coming off an injury and they already had decent WRs. When they drafted Chase I hated the pick, but the Burrow to Chase combo will be lethal for the next few years.

Plus they went o-line in round two anyway.

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

It's been my experience that QBs make the line and not the other way around. When a QB flops...the OL not being good enough is just a cop out.

Um, part of thereason NE collapsed late in 2015 is because our offensive line fell apart from injuries.

Edited by biggie.

Just now, biggie. said:

Um, part of thebreason we collapsed late in 2015 is because our offensive line fell apart from injuries.

It's very difficult for any QB to sustain year to year excellence. But the great QBs are rarely not at least good, even in spite of their situation. Brady, Brees, and Manning had pretty solid OLs, but they weren't always great...and yet those three QBs were very rarely not great. There is a ton that goes into knowing how to direct traffic, anticipating coverages, and getting rid of the ball quick. All of the great QBs do it. Sure...a QB can have a "down year" if the situation is downright dreadful, but they are still rarely not at least good. 

• Like 1

VERY likely that they did.

That said, they've also been one of the healthiest teams in the NFL, have gotten the benefit of playing the last place schedule in the league, and to give them credit, their defense has held up a LOT better than most expected.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

It's been my experience that QBs make the line and not the other way around. When a QB flops...the OL not being good enough is just a cop out.

Same here, in some ways. Great QBs can offset a bad OL (See Brees, Ryan, Luck), but still, have at least an average OL to help your QB out.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think it's somewhere in the middle. When your OL gets beat, it gets beat but it massively helps when your OL always knows where you, the QB, are. It's much more difficult if you are a scrambling QB, OL is much easier confused and there is more holding when plays are getting extended. Pocket passer who gets rid of the ball quickly helps the OL the most.

• Like 1