Bengals Got It Right

Fresh Prince

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

VERY likely that they did.

That said, they've also been one of the healthiest teams in the NFL, have gotten the benefit of playing the last place schedule in the league, and to give them credit, their defense has held up a LOT better than most expected.

That’s all fine and dandy but what does that have to do with the question?

15 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That’s all fine and dandy but what does that have to do with the question?

...what question? I answered it. I said "VERY LIKELY". The Bengals OL looked HORRIBLE the first two weeks of the year, and they've looked very solid the last 5. Chase is clearly the real deal, and so is Sewell. I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Chase is a ridiculous talent and Burrow is gonna end up a top 5 QB eventuality. They will be a top duo for a long time barring injury. I’m usually all for building the trenches and was one of the many people thinking they should’ve went with the tackle. But things are working out for them in a big way right now. 

Edited by Geezy

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

...what question? I answered it. I said "VERY LIKELY". The Bengals OL looked HORRIBLE the first two weeks of the year, and they've looked very solid the last 5. Chase is clearly the real deal, and so is Sewell. I'm not really sure what you're asking.

The question being, did the Bengals get it right (Sewell vs Chase)? I just don’t get what does the defense, strength of schedule, and health have to do with the comparison.

Edited by SmittyBacall

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Best part in the twitter comments someone literally said they'd take "playoff Joey" over playoff Lamar because Lamar crumbles in the playoffs..........................

Like, my standards for twitter comments are low but WOW.

I've convinced myself that everyone on Twitter is just a 15 year old kid that is still learning how football works, that is how I keep myself sane when looking under the comments on any popular Twitter post at least lol you're right though, that's the dumbest thing ever

• Like 1

My stated opinion was that the players who sat out 2020 were sharp guys and would exceed expectation, especially if teams were foolish enough to downgrade them. I think it has mostly played out that way, with Chase and others. One of the few bright spots for the Dolphins has been Jevon Holland, who sat out at Oregon. The Dolphins picked Jaelen Phillips over Rousseau, who sat out.

11 hours ago, Titans_Matt said:

I've convinced myself that everyone on Twitter is just a 15 year old kid that is still learning how football works, that is how I keep myself sane when looking under the comments on any popular Twitter post at least lol you're right though, that's the dumbest thing ever

Dave Chappelle said it best. 

I don't give a ****, because Twitter's not a real place.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

The question being, did the Bengals get it right (Sewell vs Chase)? I just don’t get what does the defense, strength of schedule, and health have to do with the comparison.

Like I said, they PROBABLY DID.

But, the questions that I have about their OL and how they do against good talent and how they hold up in the depth or lack thereof would be a viable concern.

Can their OL be competent against good competition week in and week out?

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

But, the questions that I have about their OL and how they do against good talent and how they hold up in the depth or lack thereof would be a viable concern.

As long as they stay healthy, I think so.  Trey Hopkins coming off an achilles injury has been playing better the more we get into the season, Quentin Spain is an average interior lineman, and Carman has some growing pains, but has a high ceiling and hasn't been abysmal at least.  The at tackle the Bengals are above average with Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff.  I'm much more worried about interior rushers than edge guys, because Edge guys are easier to double and the strength of the OL is at tackle for the Bengals.  Just have to stay healthy, that is the key.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think, barring injury, they can be. Like I mentioned earlier, we have an average line that will likely struggle at times against good competition (like 80% of teams do). And I don’t think drafting Sewell would move that needle much, especially not in year one. 

If we did draft Sewell he would likely be playing right guard right now. Jonah isn’t being supplanted at LT and Rieff was signed to play RT. Perhaps he would be a major upgrade over Carman at RG, but considering how much he struggled with trying to play a new position at right tackle in Detroit, I don’t think it’s a given he would be head and shoulders better at RG than Carman is right now. 

Time will tell. 

I mean, I get why they didn't take Sewell. They got back Jonah Williams from injury, so that was like getting a second first round pick this year. He's the left tackle and he's been playing well. Quinton Spain and Trey Hopkins are both above average for their spots. Riley Reiff is a good right tackle. Honestly, the only hole on that line is right guard. And they should be able to fix that spot at some point in this coming draft in the mid rounds.

• Like 1