Guardians of the Galaxy (Eidos)

Kiltman

Yeah i probably pick it up cause even with all the bugs and the lag of the avengers game i still enjoyed the story, wasnt worth the 60 bucks but still a fun time for a 10-15 hours i played it for.

Might wait til black friday to get it tho when its 45 or less.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, MikeT14 said:

This game is okay. It feels very buggy though. 

It definitely is. They knew that it was, too, based on how the game responds to you getting stuck or out of bounds. During my playthrough, I got stuck in a wall or between two pieces of geometry probably like 8 times, and basically, after a few seconds, if the game realizes you're stuck, it just kind of cuts to black and teleports you a few feet away to a safe spot. It just felt weird every time it happened, and I can't remember any other game I've ever played presenting that scenario to me. It definitely gave me the vibe that, they knew there were some spots players were going to potentially get stuck, but they couldn't fix it the right way, so they at least kept it from breaking the game. I didn't like it. And one time I still had to reset because of a bug anyways (the game just didn't spawn a group of enemies, which I then couldn't kill, which was the trigger for progressing to the next area.)

I did play through the whole game. I enjoyed it enough. I wouldn't really recommend it strongly, but I didn't regret my time with it or anything either. There's enough good there for a big comic or MCU fan. But the whole game was a mix of amazing things combined with unfortunate missteps. The writing was honestly really good, but I definitely felt the shadow of the movies hang over it. Obviously with comic book stories there's always that element of kind of retelling stories we've already told, but where a movie replicating a comic feels like a fun easter egg, this felt more like just rehashing character development I've already watched. There's a good chunk of dialogue and story to the game, and it's just weird when it's reveals or conversations or development already seen in the MCU. The stuff that is purely original without a presence in the MCU felt fresher, but most of the main character beats of the main four characters (I'm not counting Groot in this game) feels too familiar. My brain can't disconnect the games versus the movies the same way I can the movies versus the comics. I dunno. It doesn't help that a lot of big stuff has already happened in this universe already. Like, they talk a lot about major events having already happened, so it's kind of early for the Guardians, but not for the universe. They do well embracing the weirdness of the universe, though. I liked Cosmo and Mantis, though Mantis will annoy the crap out of some people, I'm sure. The worlds look beautiful and creative. They capture scale and color incredibly well. But then the gameplay is really just filler. There's nothing of particular interest there at all, to me. They definitely intentionally make it so you don't do enough damage yourself as Starlord, so you need to use the teammate's abilities, but it kind of just turns into a game of using cooldowns as fast as possible as soon as they come back up. It just becomes kind of eh once you get it down. And then the team pep talk ability thing just gets really cringey the more you use it. But it's too useful in combat, and the only way to get music to play during combat (and the playlist is fantastic, too), so I felt forced into putting up with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

But it's too useful in combat, and the only way to get music to play during combat (and the playlist is fantastic, too), so I felt forced into putting up with it.

Great post. I agree with everything you said. I would just like to add that the biggest hiccup is how unavailable the music is at times. So disappointing. 

On 12/10/2021 at 4:34 AM, Jakuvious said:

after a few seconds, if the game realizes you're stuck, it just kind of cuts to black and teleports you a few feet away to a safe spot

Ooh that’s a decent feature actually lol. I remember one time in assassins creed syndicate there was a monotonous puzzle that was complicated and time consuming and my character glitched out in this perpetual falling motion thing and I had to fast travel away and restart the whole puzzle lol. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked this up for 30 bucks while I was running other errands, finished it in two sessions this weekend. Story was good, combat was okay, the voice acting was very good. Overall I liked it. Its a quick fun game if you can play it on the cheap (or gamepass)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I picked this up for 30 bucks while I was running other errands, finished it in two sessions this weekend. Story was good, combat was okay, the voice acting was very good. Overall I liked it. Its a quick fun game if you can play it on the cheap (or gamepass)

Solid yeah, if you like story games its worth playing imo. 

Hope it proves successful of Gamepass, Square supposedly was disappointed in the sales (like they always are). Big movement on GP could help get it a sequel, or some other Marvel games made.

• 2 weeks later...