Kenny Young Traded to Denver

MDY10

29 minutes ago, Car_Ramrod said:

I’m sure they have a plan and are trading for someone….but, counting on reeder scares the hell out of me 

Sounds like we might be targeting another position. I would've thought Kyle Fuller but would be weird to not just include him in the same deal. 

If Ernest Jones comes in and plays well this is a good trade. We can see no drop-off in ILB play in the short-term and get him experience to grow for the 2022 season. Though that is probably best case scenario. This trade has a way to go very wrong and we may see that shortly with the 49ers and Titans coming up.

I can already see it now. We trade something like a future 3rd or 4th for Kyle Fuller when his deal ends this season. The board will go nuts about trading future assets on an expiring contract, then we lose Darious Williams in FA and get back a 3rd or 4th round comp pick and suddenly the trade finally makes sense. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I can already see it now. We trade something like a future 3rd or 4th for Kyle Fuller when his deal ends this season. The board will go nuts about trading future assets on an expiring contract, then we lose Darious Williams in FA and get back a 3rd or 4th round comp pick and suddenly the trade finally makes sense. 

Wouldn't it have made sense to just include him in the Young deal though?

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Wouldn't it have made sense to just include him in the Young deal though?

Totally would have. My guess is they're still shopping around Fuller.

Myles Jack and Marcus Maye I would say are two other targets, but the comp pick part of this is always in the back of Snead's head. It's never looking at one move through a microscope, it's always longterm, big picture with him. Saw it with Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters, etc

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Totally would have. My guess is they're still shopping around Fuller.

Myles Jack and Marcus Maye I would say are two other targets, but the comp pick part of this is always in the back of Snead's head. It's never looking at one move through a microscope, it's always longterm, big picture with him. Saw it with Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters, etc

But isn't this why the Kenny Young trade is so confusing? He'd have likely gotten back something in compensatory picks if we just held onto him. So we are sacrificing that, sacrificing a starter at one of the thinnest positions we have in a SB window, just for financial flexibility. I agree, it has to be for another move for it to make sense. Unless Ernest Jones is an upgrade but then the question would become why didn't he play before now. 

Though we did see John Johnson not play the first 4-6 weeks of his rookie year for Maurice Alexander and then he came in and was an immediate upgrade so we've seen that before. 

30 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

But isn't this why the Kenny Young trade is so confusing? He'd have likely gotten back something in compensatory picks if we just held onto him. So we are sacrificing that, sacrificing a starter at one of the thinnest positions we have in a SB window, just for financial flexibility. I agree, it has to be for another move for it to make sense. Unless Ernest Jones is an upgrade but then the question would become why didn't he play before now. 

Though we did see John Johnson not play the first 4-6 weeks of his rookie year for Maurice Alexander and then he came in and was an immediate upgrade so we've seen that before. 

Ehhh not THAT confusing. If you look at his snap count the last few weeks, Young was cut down to roughly 50% from previously 100%. We are sacrificing a starter, but the ILB in this defense isn't valued heavily considering the system we run.  I liked Young alot this year, but there has to be another move coming and it's on the defensive side of the ball. Young wouldn't have garnered much from a comp pick standpoint, so we move up in the draft and shed some cap to pursue a bigger difference maker.  I'm excited to see what Jones can do, but also a head scratcher why he didn't get on the field sooner.

Travin Howard could see some time too. No idea how Reeder gets more snaps them him. Same with Terrell Burgess. Head scratchers for sure.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Ehhh not THAT confusing. If you look at his snap count the last few weeks, Young was cut down to roughly 50% from previously 100%. We are sacrificing a starter, but the ILB in this defense isn't valued heavily considering the system we run.  I liked Young alot this year, but there has to be another move coming and it's on the defensive side of the ball. Young wouldn't have garnered much from a comp pick standpoint, so we move up in the draft and shed some cap to pursue a bigger difference maker.  I'm excited to see what Jones can do, but also a head scratcher why he didn't get on the field sooner.

Travin Howard could see some time too. No idea how Reeder gets more snaps them him. Same with Terrell Burgess. Head scratchers for sure.

A comp pick for Young, even if it is a 7th is much better compensation than moving up 1 round in 2024. ILBs may not be coveted in our system but we now just have 3 guys with 2 being completely unproven and 1 who might suck. I'm not sure what the play is if anyone of those 3 get hurt. And another move is probably happening but since we don't value ILBs I find it very hard to believe it would be a move at that position.

21 hours ago, RamRod said:

I bet he wasn’t very happy about this. UCLA guy playing for a Super Bowl contender and now shipped to the Broncos.

He was basically our main return for Marcus Peters.

Yeah i can imagine this :D 

"It does give us some flexibility, whether or not that means that any major big moves are imminent for us, that's not something that I can really speak on right now," McVay said.

Well pretty sure a move is going on and i think he knows that we need an athletic defender if we want to win against the Cardinals.

• Like 1