CAMPBELL VS SALEH: HOW ARE WE FEELING NOW - 7 WEEKS IN?

Karnage84

During the course of the off-season, we had many a conversation about who would become the Lions future head coach. 49ers Defensive Co-Ordinator Robert Salah was the presumed front-runner. 

Salah signed with the Jets and the Lions brought in Saints TE coach Dan Campbell to lead the rebuild. 

The Lions are 0-7 while the Jets are 1-6. 

How do you feel about the state of the Lions (current and future) vs. the state of the Jets (current and future)?

Edited by Karnage84

I have not followed Saleh at all outside of his win loss record, but from the box scores, they don't seem to be overly competitive.  I know 0-7 but being close in 6 of those games is still 0-7 but I feel we are closer to taking off than the Jets.  Also the Jets just tied themselves to another QB that I wasn't high on and he is struggling which always sets a rebuild back. 

I wanted Saleh at the time, and I was skeptical of Dan Campbell, especially after the knee cap interview (I liked his passion but just didn't know how he would be as a coach instead of a cheer leader) but I am firmly in the crowd that thinks DC is the right fit for us.  His attitude, work ethic, passion etc seem perfect for this job and he has gotten a lot more out of some guys than I expected.  I hope it leads to wins, I hope he and the players that are here for a while do not become lionized but I feel like with a solid draft and a couple free agents, we could be a middle of the pack team next year and then go get our QB after that. 

• Like 3

How are we feeling now? I won't compare the two, but I'm still not sold. I like what I see and it has promise. But we have not won a game and keep in mind I thought a 3 win season would be super successful. So my expectations were not high for this first season. So how can we say anything positive or negative in regards to football? We still lose in Lions fashion so nothing has changed there.  We are not Lionized, yet, because Campbell is such a personable guy and this helps him keep the locker room. You're not going to lose that locker room because a lot of those players wouldn't be playing on NFL teams, imo.  Personality generally doesn't get you anywhere in terms of being successful on the field. It reminds me of the dating scene, "That person isn't much to look at, but they have a killer personality". Of course they do, otherwise they don't stand a chance. Is this what we have? A coach you really root for, and will hate to lose because he is such a good guy.

As far as being competitive, they've always been competitive. We would beat the superbowl winning team during the season, yet lose to the worst team. We always played to the competition and could never fully put it together.

We've seen Brad Holmes tear the roster down and rightfully so, but so has all his predecessors. Really he didn't have to do much since Quinn did that mostly for us. We've just seen Holmes this year trade a 5th for Trinity Benson. A WR who can't get on the field with this dismal group of wr here. Holmes said he didn't even know who he was, yet he traded for him? Not a good look for him and made me really uneasy. You're giving away assets for unknowns when you need assets. This doesn't make sense to me.

Now, I would love to see what they end up doing, and I do remain optimistic despite my "negative" post here, but for me I'm not sold on this tandem leading us to any promise land yet. Will it be better than Quintricia? It would be hard not to be better, but that doesn't make it good.

Edited by LionArkie

18 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am feeling a lot better compared to when Matt Patricia was our Head Coach.  Robert Saleh is a good coach and it would have been a great story for him to coach here but ultimately, I think both teams got the coach that they needed.

Yup. It was clear to me from Patricia's first game that things were going to be rough. I'm somehow more confident in Campbell even though he hasn't even won a game yet. He at least has the team playing hard. With Patricia is was very clear that some guys just didn't want to be here and others were just here because they were familiar with Patricia and his system. 

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Yup. It was clear to me from Patricia's first game that things were going to be rough. I'm somehow more confident in Campbell even though he hasn't even won a game yet. He at least has the team playing hard. With Patricia is was very clear that some guys just didn't want to be here and others were just here because they were familiar with Patricia and his system. 

It was like his first practice when he was late for a meeting that I knew it was going to be rough.  

• Like 2