Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Honestly, this has been such a depressing season that this game does not even deserve a breakdown lol.

There really is not one team I would feel CONFIDENT in beating at this present moment. Not saying we are the worse team in the league or anything, but this team is just super inconsistent and make some boneheaded mistakes. 

I'll say that we pull a close one off but would not be surprised at the slightest if the Bears win.

SF 17

CHI 13

• Like 1

“In terms of deciding who’s going at quarterback, that has to do with Jimmy’s health,” Shanahan said. “Jimmy, I wanted to see how his calf was, and it’s good today, so he’ll be starting. Hopefully, Trey will have a good enough week to where he can dress. If he can dress, there’s a good chance I’ll get him some plays in there.”

https://theathletic.com/2912934/2021/10/25/jimmy-garoppolo-remains-the-49ers-starter-but-trey-lance-might-also-play-against-bears/

So, Shanny might actually get Lance some snaps in rotational duty. About time. Jimmy G is not the only issue with this team but he's too limited and mistake prone 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://theathletic.com/2912934/2021/10/25/jimmy-garoppolo-remains-the-49ers-starter-but-trey-lance-might-also-play-against-bears/

So, Shanny might actually get Lance some snaps in rotational duty. About time. Jimmy G is not the only issue with this team but he's too limited and mistake prone 

When Lance is fully healthy and ready to go, he will be the QB.

If he's not fully healthy, then no need to play him limited snaps.

• Like 2

It’s an away game, so that’s one of the main reasons why I think we “can” win.

Do I think we will?!  if it’s anything like we put out against Indy, no. Chicago has a better def, so it will depend on if we can force Fields to make rookie mistakes and take advantage. I would also prefer to see Lance play, but I agree with everyone else, I don’t think Kyle is going to rush him back because of his injury. 

27 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

At this point, we might as well start Trey, and let him get the experience that he needs for next year. Just my opinion. It drives me crazy that Jimmy doesn't look at the wide open receivers. 

Nope he only looks at Deebo and forces the ball…

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Oh I can see him getting some snaps. I actually hope that happens. He just probably won't start until the 49ers are out of playoff contention even if he's healthy. At least that's what Kyle said. Obviously he can change his mind, and hopefully he does, but as of now it's not an open competition. I'm guessing Lance just has such a far way to go for Kyle to fill comfortable with heading into a game with Lance as the the maestro, that he's just gonna keep going with Jimbo a while more doo doo performances be damned. 

Anyway I think we beat the Bears at the very least. 49ers 24 Bears 17. Too bad Kittle can't play. Hopefully Williams is back. The defense needs to absolutely do something about the pass interference calls. That is probably the most frustrating part of the season to me. I recall listening to Norman is the post-game presser, and he almost seemed at a loss for words quipping at how the league is trending with everyone wanting to see points scored, and that now a PI call is really a 50/50 thing once that long ball comes down. Norman hasn't played well this season, but he does have a point. That is one thing I really miss about the older era, which was less pass interference calls and roughing the passer penalties. It's just gotten way out of control now. That one against Kyler Murray I think a couple of weeks back was maybe the worst I had ever seen. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh I can see him getting some snaps. I actually hope that happens. He just probably won't start until the 49ers are out of playoff contention even if he's healthy. At least that's what Kyle said. Obviously he can change his mind, and hopefully he does, but as of now it's not an open competition. I'm guessing Lance just has such a far way to go for Kyle to fill comfortable with heading into a game with Lance as the the maestro, that he's just gonna keep going with Jimbo a while more doo doo performances be damned. 

Anyway I think we beat the Bears at the very least. 49ers 24 Bears 17. Too bad Kittle can't play. Hopefully Williams is back. The defense needs to absolutely do something about the pass interference calls. That is probably the most frustrating part of the season to me. I recall listening to Norman is the post-game presser, and he almost seemed at a loss for words quipping at how the league is trending with everyone wanting to see points scored, and that now a PI call is really a 50/50 thing once that long ball comes down. Norman hasn't played well this season, but he does have a point. That is one thing I really miss about the older era, which was less pass interference calls and roughing the passer penalties. It's just gotten way out of control now. That one against Kyler Murray I think a couple of weeks back was maybe the worst I had ever seen. 

While I generally agree with the point about the DPIs, the ones conceded against the Colts were really obvious, especially the last one from Tartt. Like I get it's hard to defend this kind of plays without drawing a penalty, but others can deal with it and it doesn't even look like the 49ers DBs know how to defend the pass without drawing a flag.

Speaking of Tartt, don't know if it's been mentioned but he is out for a couple of weeks, so more snaps for Hufanga.

8 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I think we'd be right down there at the tail end if they factored in our DPI yards. 

Nope, the team has 250 DPI yards in 6 games which comes out to about 42 yards a game. Even if you add those and didn't for any other team, they would not be close to the bottom. That would put the team around 18th in the league in passing yards allowed...Again, that's not counting the DPI yards for any other team. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nope, the team has 250 DPI yards in 6 games which comes out to about 42 yards a game. Even if you add those and didn't for any other team, they would not be close to the bottom. That would put the team around 18th in the league in passing yards allowed...Again, that's not counting the DPI yards for any other team. 

Yes. Yards have never been the 49ers problem under Shanahan. On either side of the ball. Turnovers have been. Both giving the ball away and not getting it back. We’ve been quite healthy in both yards and yards per play (for the most part) during the entire tenure. But we really struggle specifically with interceptions - the more reliable and predictable turnover indicator - every year. Part of it is pounding the middle of the field on offense and defense. It forces passes into traffic on offense and encourages them away from traffic on defense. It’s harder to get lucky interceptions on random sideline shots than it is on passes over the middle of the field. Part of it is that we’ve had a quarterback disadvantage for most of our games (outside of playing the delightful group of Jameis, Dalton, Duck, Goff x2, Kyle Allen, bad Baker, rookie Kyler x2 as our QBs against in 2019) under Shanahan’s tenure. Part of that is the administration’s fault. They’ve been here a long time and made incorrect decisions at the position. But the main thing is turnovers. And to some extent that’s an organizational philosophy thing. We by design are more efficient at getting and preventing yards and worse at generating turnovers. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 2