Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

The Pats are about to be 4-4 but they have three losses in games they were up late in the games. Belichick is coaching his a$$ off this season. They should make the playoffs with the way they are playing. 

Seahawks defense has been very solid as of late. Like like last season, they are picking it up after a slow start. 

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Pats are about to be 4-4 but they have three losses in games they were up late in the games. Belichick is coaching his a$$ off this season. They should make the playoffs with the way they are playing. 

Seahawks defense has been very solid as of late. Like like last season, they are picking it up after a slow start. 

Sean Payton the ONE HC in the entire league that constantly wins with sub-par QB play does it again.. This time with Siemian. He's won games at a high rate the last few years with Bridgewater, Winstron, Hill and Siemian. Which other HC could pull that off? 

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ok. Great win. Yes it was just the Bears, but obviously this team needed a victory. Obviously Jimmy G has been less than ideal for a while now, but he had a great game period. You can say opponent, scheme, etc., but he still played well despite issues with drops. He's gonna get a little more time in the saddle after this one, maybe much to the chagrin of some folks. The defense was doo doo, but at the very least weren't committing PI mayhem every series. So it was a different kind of bad I suppose. Can't wait to see the PFF grades. Anyway, the season definitely wasn't over at 2-4 like so many proclaimed in 49ers land a week ago. 

It's a pretty good win considering we couldn't handle Fields for most of the game. In the first 7 weeks, whenever our D would get us a stop, the offense couldn't take advantage of it. Today, the offense did its part to win games. Did we even have a 3 and out? I don't remember. It sure looked like we would, when we were 3rd and 20, but... something happened.

Before the beginning of the year, we mostly thought the depth of our DL would define our season. So far, the injuries and the overall lack of production outside of Bosa really makes games tougher than they should be. Missing Dee is apparent. It shouldn't be, because we should never have come into the season expecting Dee to be a difference maker. I like that Ebukam had his first sack, but he's still mostly invisible. I never thought Jordan Willis would have much of an impact. And Key has had better games. We need to get something out of these three. I understand that they're inconsistent, but just platoon them like we used to platoon RBs until one of them got hot. In 2019, we'd start Breida, then bring in Coleman, until Mostert stole the show and the primary rb role. Start Ebukam, then rotate in Key and Willis, and if one of them gets hot, ride the hot hand. Bosa needs help. And it sure doesn't come from the inside either. DJ Jones and Kevin Givens used to be so disruptive. In preseason, Kerr was also very disruptive. Hopefully Hurst can be as well, once he returns. But we have all these guys, and the only one that has seemed to have a small impact this year is Kentavius Street. I don't know. I'd love to see a dominating performance by the DL. Give the LBs a bit of a break, especially considering we're missing two good starters.

There's nothing bad to say about the OL. These guys were good today. And Elijah is such a quick cutter, he's very impressive, using the big guys in front of him. But again, why no RB rotation? Getting Kittle back will be amazing. Early on, it showed that we were forcing the ball to Deebo. It's amazing how much he produces, considering it's obvious we'll be throwing it to him all the time. A Deebo and George led offense, with the way Jimmy and the OL played today, will be hard to stop.

Good win. The first half did scare me. Why could we not stop the bears? But we kept doing our thing, and they got just a bit worse, and the talent won the game. I don't think this is a game that was won or lost by scheme and planning on either side. But we were the more talented team, and we made more plays, and we won the game. Pure and simple.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Woerner certainly can block very well. What made me mad is last week on the deep shot called to Aiyuk, why was Woerner not in the game instead of Dwelley? That made no sense at all and predictably the play was ruined before it started. 

On that play, why was a TE not named Kittle asked to block one on one, in space, on the side of the rollout? I don't care that it was Dwelley instead of Woerner. I don't think Woerner would have made that block. I don't think Gronk or Kelce make that block. I don't think any of the better pass blocking TEs in the league make that block. I do know Kittle makes that block, though. So that play exists in the playbook solely because George Kittle exists. If he's not on the field, do not use that play. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

On that play, why was a TE not named Kittle asked to block one on one, in space, on the side of the rollout? I don't care that it was Dwelley instead of Woerner. I don't think Woerner would have made that block. I don't think Gronk or Kelce make that block. I don't think any of the better pass blocking TEs in the league make that block. I do know Kittle makes that block, though. So that play exists in the playbook solely because George Kittle exists. If he's not on the field, do not use that play. 

I mean it's a tough block to make but we aren't the only team that runs that play. Woerner is someone I trust far more than Dwelley in that situation. 

Speaking of Kittle, he should be returning next week and our offense is likely going to have to carry us with all the injuries we have on the defensive end. We will be without both Tartt and Ward to go on top of already missing Kinlaw and Verrett. Hoping Ford and Al-Shaair return as they will be needed. Our defense has contained the Cards offense very well the last two games and even if Murray goes, he will have a gimpy ankle. He's not likely to run all that much. 

HAVE to win one of the next two games to have a shot at the playoffs. And then we will need to beat the Jags/Vikings in back to back games. The team put himself in a pretty big hole but it's not going to be impossible to dig themselves out of it. But will need to win 3 of the next 4 games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I think Jimmy frustrates the CRAP out of Shanny with how limited he is and how he doesn't take advantage of the play calls....but he also knows he's only won with Jimmy at QB. That's probably where the respect comes from. 

Damn that must have been a tough tweet for homie to write. :)

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean it's a tough block to make but we aren't the only team that runs that play. Woerner is someone I trust far more than Dwelley in that situation. 

Speaking of Kittle, he should be returning next week and our offense is likely going to have to carry us with all the injuries we have on the defensive end. We will be without both Tartt and Ward to go on top of already missing Kinlaw and Verrett. Hoping Ford and Al-Shaair return as they will be needed. Our defense has contained the Cards offense very well the last two games and even if Murray goes, he will have a gimpy ankle. He's not likely to run all that much. 

HAVE to win one of the next two games to have a shot at the playoffs. And then we will need to beat the Jags/Vikings in back to back games. The team put himself in a pretty big hole but it's not going to be impossible to dig themselves out of it. But will need to win 3 of the next 4 games. 

Pretty sure I'll be in the minority on this one but I could honestly care less about making the playoffs. I just don't see much potential in this team, on either side of the ball at the moment to make me wish for playoff football. Especially if Ward is out for a extended period of time. Not trying to be overly negative but it'd be different if I felt we had a team that just needed to get hot at the right time. But whether it's Jimmy or Trey, I have zero faith in the QB position. And w/o a historical good defense to help mitigate that fact, I don't see much for us to accomplish if we happen to sneak into the post-season.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Pretty sure I'll be in the minority on this one but I could honestly care less about making the playoffs. I just don't see much potential in this team, on either side of the ball at the moment to make me wish for playoff football. Especially if Ward is out for a extended period of time. Not trying to be overly negative but it'd be different if I felt we had a team that just needed to get hot at the right time. But whether it's Jimmy or Trey, I have zero faith in the QB position. And w/o a historical good defense to help mitigate that fact, I don't see much for us to accomplish if we happen to sneak into the post-season.

So...are you even going to watch anymore games this year?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I understand, but it's not like we are playing for draft positioning this year. We have had three losing seasons in four years with this regime and the team needs to win. There is still a lot of talent on it. But the injuries are piling up and people are about to see just how good Ward really is. People will use PFF grades to determine the value of a player...Until that player goes out and then you see the difference. 

But guys like Tartt/Ward/Greenlaw/Kittle/etc will be back at some point...And in the case of Kittle, it will be likely next week. 

I'm just interested in seeing if the offense is going to be unlocked a bit now that Aiyuk is seemingly gaining the coaching staff's confidence and with Mitchell emerging as a nice back in this system. We already know what Deebo has been doing so maybe the offense takes off now. It severely underperformed to start the season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So...are you even going to watch anymore games this year?

Sure. I still enjoy watching our games as a fan and seeing how certain players are performing/developing. I just don't have any expectations for this team to be a real threat or contender. We're flawed in too many areas for me to believe all we need is to get into the playoffs and magic will ensue.  Playing 18 games instead of 17 isn't moving the needle for me personally.