Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I’m really happy with Charlie Woerner over the past two weeks (as has been a common feeling here). I desperately hope that he gets the #2 TE reps because he’s exactly what I wanted from Tommy Tremble in the draft - a nasty versatile blocker with enough athleticism and hands to get the job done. And with our scheme, the #2 TE and FB are essentially the #3 and 4 WRs. They’re huge roster spots. And with Kittle perpetually in and out of the roster, it’s even bigger. You’re the #1 TE for a third of the season. That person being a useful player instead of a replacement level player is a massive upgrade. 

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Sure. I still enjoy watching our games as a fan and seeing how certain players are performing/developing. I just don't have any expectations for this team to be a real threat or contender. We're flawed in too many areas for me to believe all we need is to get into the playoffs and magic will ensue.  Playing 18 games instead of 17 isn't moving the needle for me personally. 

Oh man, I could not disagree with you more 

Sure, this team has flaws, but it's also got some ALL WORLD talent on it. Trent Williams is the best LT in football. Bosa is a top 5 DE. Warner is LB1. Kittle is TE1. Deebo is an all pro this year and is about to break 1000 yards in game #8. We will see where ward is but he's a top 5 FS in the NFL without question. 

The point is, this team has some legit superstars on it. Unfortunately none of those superstars play QB, because a QB can obviously mask a ton of flaws, but we have *enough* superstars at other positions to be a team no one wants to play in the playoffs. 

Our coaching may have flaws, but schematically we are one of the most sound teams (on both sides of the ball) in the entire league. 

Never a good thing to lose four in a row but the silver (gold?) lining is that it may have forced the locker room to come together a bit. Maybe it forced Jimmy to remember that he has a huge set of cajones and to start being a more vocal leader. Maybe it made Kyle address some of his issues that he wasn't receptive to acknowledging before. Basically, our team got humbled and they (are starting to) remember how hard it is to win, and what it takes to win, and the consistency you need to have to win every week. So it's a good thing this rough patch happened early and we will absolutely be battle tested later in the year because of it 

ALSO - our schedule is hot/cold over the rest of the season. We either play bad teams or playoff teams. So the only way we will make the playoffs is to actually beat playoff caliber teams. If we do that, I don't want to hear we can't make a deep run... 

• Like 1

I SLAMMED  my laptop and closed it when the Road Dogg Jesse James scored.

I know we struggle with mobile QB but come on, Justin Fields...

I gotta admit that pass Jimmy mad to Deebo before halftime was nice. Too bad he couldn't do it in the SB...whoops. need to move on. 

Well we aren't too far from a wildcard spot which is what I wanted from this team this year.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Also what is up with Mosley? I always thought he was fine but at point dude was getting worked by Kemet, I believe?

Moseley has been very good all season, just had a bad game where he was playing softer coverage so he could cover the deep ball. He overcompensated for the disaster vs Indy, but he was hardly the problem that game. Moseley will be fine and I'm sure he will get back to playing tighter coverage next week. 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Oh man, I could not disagree with you more 

Sure, this team has flaws, but it's also got some ALL WORLD talent on it. Trent Williams is the best LT in football. Bosa is a top 5 DE. Warner is LB1. Kittle is TE1. Deebo is an all pro this year and is about to break 1000 yards in game #8. We will see where ward is but he's a top 5 FS in the NFL without question. 

The point is, this team has some legit superstars on it. Unfortunately none of those superstars play QB, because a QB can obviously mask a ton of flaws, but we have *enough* superstars at other positions to be a team no one wants to play in the playoffs. 

Our coaching may have flaws, but schematically we are one of the most sound teams (on both sides of the ball) in the entire league. 

Never a good thing to lose four in a row but the silver (gold?) lining is that it may have forced the locker room to come together a bit. Maybe it forced Jimmy to remember that he has a huge set of cajones and to start being a more vocal leader. Maybe it made Kyle address some of his issues that he wasn't receptive to acknowledging before. Basically, our team got humbled and they (are starting to) remember how hard it is to win, and what it takes to win, and the consistency you need to have to win every week. So it's a good thing this rough patch happened early and we will absolutely be battle tested later in the year because of it 

ALSO - our schedule is hot/cold over the rest of the season. We either play bad teams or playoff teams. So the only way we will make the playoffs is to actually beat playoff caliber teams. If we do that, I don't want to hear we can't make a deep run... 

I never said we didn't have talent. We definitely have talent. So does every other potential playoff team. That's not unique to us, by any stretch.

My point is the QB position. I think it's inherently the most important position in playoff football. People feel like we made a run with Jimmy in 2019 and that it can absolutely happen again. I'm just not of that mindset. That was a anomaly....an outlier. Middle tier QBs can't consistently have success in the playoffs w/o other team components surrounding them being elite. In 2019 that was the defense and the run game. This defense is not of that caliber. Not even close if I'm being honest. Still a very good defense. Not a dominant one which I feel needs to be in place to offset the inability of the offense at times. And the run game is good, not great. We sorely miss Morstert's big play ability in the backfield. We can still run the ball very effectively. But those long gains to the house that Morstert provided us removed an explosive element from the offense. A offense that has notoriously struggled in the red-zone, so having those splash plays from the run game is essential to helping us score TDs outside of it.

I would need to see alot more from Jimmy and other parts of the team for me to feel confident about us heading into any playoff match-up. Peope seem to conviently gloss over the fact that we haven't beaten a team with a winning record thus far. We're simply not that good of a football team right now. Not saying it's impossible to morph into one, somehow, someway. But right now, this team isn't giving me any indication to believe that there's a gold, silver, and kind of lining really to hold out hope for. And the injuries keep mounting as we speak.

Edited by 757-NINER

The line opened the door for Mitchell to rack up 137 yards on 18 carries, an average of 7.6 yards per rush, but the rookie running back also did plenty of work on his own. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, Mitchell averaged 2.98 rushing yards over expectation per carry, by far the most of any NFL back through Sunday’s early slate of games.

https://theathletic.com/2925479/2021/10/31/jimmy-garoppolo-back-in-chicago-rediscovers-his-efficiency-of-old-in-49ers-win/

Mitchell is a stud

What you saw on this play is what I saw on MULTIPLE occasions vs the Colts and he just did not get targeted. The guy was damn near elite as a rookie in beating man coverage. Those types of WRs always have staying power for years to come. That's what makes this situation so baffling.

One thing I liked is that Jimmy actually attacked the one on one match ups and was not locked into a single WR pre-snap as the case usually is. If Aiyuk is singled up, then go to him. More times than none, he will win his match up and get open. 

Maybe it is an overreaction to the Bears game against a top 10 defense that was missing its best defender and another key piece in Jackson...But I really feel like this offense can take off now. That side of the ball is getting healthier and Aiyuk may emerge as a key part of the passing game along with Kittle returning...And then we have established a good rushing attack with Mitchell. The OL is starting to play better as well. No excuses for this offense not top be top 10 the rest of the way. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What you saw on this play is what I saw on MULTIPLE occasions vs the Colts and he just did not get targeted. The guy was damn near elite as a rookie in beating man coverage. Those types of WRs always have staying power for years to come. That's what makes this situation so baffling.

One thing I liked is that Jimmy actually attacked the one on one match ups and was not locked into a single WR pre-snap as the case usually is. If Aiyuk is singled up, then go to him. More times than none, he will win his match up and get open. 

Maybe it is an overreaction to the Bears game against a top 10 defense that was missing its best defender and another key piece in Jackson...But I really feel like this offense can take off now. That side of the ball is getting healthier and Aiyuk may emerge as a key part of the passing game along with Kittle returning...And then we have established a good rushing attack with Mitchell. The OL is starting to play better as well. No excuses for this offense not top be top 10 the rest of the way. 

Yep I don't remember what quarter it was but we ran something similar, Believe it was a third down. Hasty motioned from Jimmy's left to the right, LB followed. That left Aiyuk one on one and he won his matchup and got the first. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yep I don't remember what quarter it was but we ran something similar, Believe it was a third down. Hasty motioned from Jimmy's left to the right, LB followed. That left Aiyuk one on one and he won his matchup and got the first. 

Yep, and a big difference between Jimmy and Mullens is the latter will attack those one on one match ups and is not afraid to attack the sidelines. No excuses though, get Aiyuk involved every game from now on. As great as Deebo is, this is not sustainable and no way should one receiver on those team have such a high target rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If there's a time to do it, it has to be over this next 2 month stretch. Honestly, if they didn't take off, that's worrisome. Outside of the Rams, its a fairly favorable offensive set up given we are not sure how good the AZ defense will be without Watt. 

Jags, Vikings who just lost Hunter, Seahawks, Bengals, Falcons, Titans and Texans? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

If there's a time to do it, it has to be over this next 2 month stretch. Honestly, if they didn't take off, that's worrisome. Outside of the Rams, its a fairly favorable offensive set up given we are not sure how good the AZ defense will be without Watt. 

Jags, Vikings who just lost Hunter, Seahawks, Bengals, Falcons, Titans and Texans? 

Yep, though the Seahawks have played much better on defense as of late...That could also be due to facing QBs like Jimmy, Ben, Winston and a rookie in Lawrence lol.

But it's time for the offense to take off. They are set up to end in a nice way. 

• Like 1

Apparently Jimmy almost got benched yesterday. Like I said apparently lol 😂.

Watch the clip but here is a a summarization.

I guess after the field goal drive KP_show told Cohn to look at Kyle and Kyle was in a heated discussion with Jimmy for like 4 defensive plays Kyle wasn't watching the game. And supposedly Cohn has a source who over heard Kyle say this is simple ****. Then I guess Lance started warming up as if Jimmy was going to get benched. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Apparently Jimmy almost got benched yesterday. Like I said apparently lol 😂.

Watch the clip but here is a a summarization.

I guess after the field goal drive KP_show told Cohn to look at Kyle and Kyle was in a heated discussion with Jimmy for like 4 defensive plays Kyle wasn't watching the game. And supposedly Cohn has a source who over heard Kyle say this is simple ****. Then I guess Lance started warming up as if Jimmy was going to get benched. 

I have a hard time believing Grant has sources that'd be sitting right there with Jimmy and Kyle, but it does sound like something Shanny would say lol. Might have been Shanny trying to get Jimmy going too. Kyle himself has said that Jimmy plays better when he's pissed off and, as many here have stated, Jimmy seems to play better when his back is up against the wall. Personally I'd be ecstatic if NO called and offered us something for Jimmy and would ship him off if we got something decent in return. I think that'd be a great situation for all involved; The Saints can continue their run to the playoffs, Jimmy gets to go to a place to try and earn a starting job moving forward, and we get something for Jimmy when his value isn't all that great. I don't think it happens, but it does make a lot of sense to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I have a hard time believing Grant has sources that'd be sitting right there with Jimmy and Kyle, but it does sound like something Shanny would say lol. Might have been Shanny trying to get Jimmy going too. Kyle himself has said that Jimmy plays better when he's pissed off and, as many here have stated, Jimmy seems to play better when his back is up against the wall. Personally I'd be ecstatic if NO called and offered us something for Jimmy and would ship him off if we got something decent in return. I think that'd be a great situation for all involved; The Saints can continue their run to the playoffs, Jimmy gets to go to a place to try and earn a starting job moving forward, and we get something for Jimmy when his value isn't all that great. I don't think it happens, but it does make a lot of sense to me. 

Tbh saints are a place I can see us trading Jimmy in the off-season. His skill sit fits very well with the Saints offense. I think for us to move Jimmy right now we probably have to cover his salary for a good portion of it.