Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Aite. I don't even take a single thing Cohn says seriously at all at this point. His ability to be objective has zero basis in reality. 

lol you aren't wrong. I put that qualifier in my post. I don't doubt that Shanny is getting pretty close to being over this Jimmy G thing. 

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I understand, but it's not like we are playing for draft positioning this year. We have had three losing seasons in four years with this regime and the team needs to win. There is still a lot of talent on it. But the injuries are piling up and people are about to see just how good Ward really is. People will use PFF grades to determine the value of a player...Until that player goes out and then you see the difference. 

But guys like Tartt/Ward/Greenlaw/Kittle/etc will be back at some point...And in the case of Kittle, it will be likely next week. 

I'm just interested in seeing if the offense is going to be unlocked a bit now that Aiyuk is seemingly gaining the coaching staff's confidence and with Mitchell emerging as a nice back in this system. We already know what Deebo has been doing so maybe the offense takes off now. It severely underperformed to start the season. 

Yeah, playoffs or not, we need to give the dolphins as bad a pick as we can. 

The thing is, we think this team doesn't have the potential, the roster isn't good enough, etc. But good players are made by winning games. When we started winning in 2011, our average players became good players. Are good players became great. Winning makes people better. You have momentum, you have confidence. You're not fundamentally a different or better player than you were. You just do what you can do at a consistently higher level, because there's some kind of collective confidence, and others have your back. Sometimes you make a play, sometimes it's someone else, and those plays add up. I think we have enough talent to make a run. Our OL can be elite. Our skill players are very skilled. We still have depth on the DL, we just have to get rolling. We'll get Al-Shaair and Greenlaw back, so our front 7 might become really hard to play against. Injuries in the secondary, sure, but we have to weather that storm, just like we had to weather the losing both our starting OTs in 2019, and losing both Juice and Kittle. Maybe it was lightning in a bottle that year (I'm using way too many meteorological metaphors (wow, that's alliterative) in the span of two sentences), and we can't reproduce it. Or maybe we can, and it will galvanise the team. Teams that get hot in the second half of the season are hard to beat in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, I totally buy that. Shanny was just beside himself all game last week and threw his hands up a few times and just was venting to his assistant coaches more than a few times. 

And a few different people have said that they saw Lance warming up before the last drive before halftime. 

Personally I would have liked to have heard the conversations myself in context to see how close he was to getting the boot. He was also supposed to have been "done" after last week according to a good amount of the peanut gallery via Shanahan's body language, yet that didn't happen even with Lance being able to practice. 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Might be a good time to start trying to get Sermon going. Not sure if Mitchell body can handle full workhorse RB role. 

Good news on Ward tho!

I really don't know why he hasn't got more run. It's pretty aggravating to me to see Hasty get more opportunities than Sermon. He's been successful when given chances. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Oh I agree, he probably isn't happy Jimmy had a good game. Lol

He wasn't. I usually don't mess with Twitter too much, but I took a peak at what he had to say after that performance and it was clear he didn't even want to give credit to Jimmy having a good game. He was as indifferent about it as he is trying to cut him down to size when it's beneficial for him. He had to toss in the caveat that the Bears didn't have Mack, but when someone else clapped back that we didn't have Kittle it was all crickets. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I really don't know why he hasn't got more run. It's pretty aggravating to me to see Hasty get more opportunities than Sermon. He's been successful when given chances. 

Yeah wish we had a better understanding as to why sermon doesn't see the field at all. We can't run the ball up the gut to save our life tho. Seems more of interior Oline issue but Sermon would also help with running inside.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, I totally buy that. Shanny was just beside himself all game last week and threw his hands up a few times and just was venting to his assistant coaches more than a few times. 

And a few different people have said that they saw Lance warming up before the last drive before halftime. 

I can confirm this. My brother and I had pretty good seats behind the 49ers bench. I didn't see the Shanny/Jimmy convo, but I definitely saw Trey warming up. I remember pointing it out to my brother.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XScutterX said:

I can confirm this. My brother and I had pretty good seats behind the 49ers bench. I didn't see the Shanny/Jimmy convo, but I definitely saw Trey warming up. I remember pointing it out to my brother.

Next two games are going to be tough challenge for this offense. Trey time is coming.

dog GIF by FirstAndMonday

Edited by 49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Personally I would have liked to have heard the conversations myself in context to see how close he was to getting the boot. He was also supposed to have been "done" after last week according to a good amount of the peanut gallery via Shanahan's body language, yet that didn't happen even with Lance being able to practice. 

I mean he had Lance warming up, so obviously he was at least thinking about it. Then before the game you heard a few different reports where the team is expecting Lance to play at some point this season but they prefer he does not play right now...for whatever that means. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I hate it too because it just leads me to confirmation bias lol 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Next two games are going to be tough challenge for this offense. Trey time is coming.

dog GIF by FirstAndMonday

I don't think so. I think the only super tough one will be the Rams. That's probably going to go badly. Without Watt, I feel like the Cardinals are more of a neutral matchup.

Just now, Forge said:

I don't think so. I think the only super tough one will be the Rams. That's probably going to go badly. Without Watt, I feel like the Cardinals are more of a neutral matchup.

Watt's disruption of our run game was seriously rough.

• Like 1