Week 8 GDT - Chicago Bears vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's a lot. I haven't watched enough of the Bears to see how I would distribute blame. The Cleveland game was considerably slanted against the offensive line, but since then I think it's been better and maybe more of these are falling on Fields' shoulder. I'm excited to watch an entire game and really get to see how it falls. This was an issue in college, as multiple people pointed out, but I didn't think that it would rear it's ugly head this badly at the next level...especially when the Bears aren't even using an offense tailored to Fields' strength (which would require even more time to hold the ball; I think the Bears have been more quick hitting for stretches). 

From what I’ve seen, there’s a lot of spreading the field and quick game with 4 and 5 receivers, with some under center max protect play action shots. They ran pretty basic stick about 4 times. They love all curl and variants of curl seam and curl fade. The problems have been that Fields has never been happiest with quick game. If Lance is bad at that now (and he is), Fields is worse - he loves throwing to space and therefore goes ball patting before being sacked. And he does it without much scrambling through the center upside so far. As for the max protect deep stuff that should work better for him - it has come with heinously poor protection execution (I saw a pressure from a 3 man rush against seven in my look at their tape) and running 2 and 3 man routes is hard to make work in the NFL. You are basically just hoping to bust a coverage and get lucky. Ohio State flooded deep zones with verticals and asked Fields to pick the cleanest looking guy and deliver to open grass. He gets to do that about zero times a game. Ohio State also leveraged zone read action to dictate looks and make sure that there are fewer deep zone defenders. When Northwestern played quarters all day in the Big 10 title game, Sermon got 300+ yards on zone read variants. I don’t know enough to be able to tell how badly they are handling hot situations and how much of that fault should go to the play caller, the QB, and the protection, but those have been bad too. Lots of free runners with Fields looking like he doesn’t know if he is hot or where to go. So, it’s a cluster. They have execution problems that you’d expect for a team trying to gel with a QB that didn’t practice with the ones much, but they also just fundamentally misunderstand their guy and aren’t capable of caring enough about his development to change the offense towards his strengths.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I think it would be a coaching malpractice not to have Moore as the starting RT next year. 

I think its coaching malpractice Moore had entered the equation@RG thus far this season.

But yeah, he has looked pretty solid for a rookie. Arguably the best pick of the class along with Mitchell in terms of impact on the field (thus far). He looks like he belongs, which has been a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Woof lol

The team is so bad at executing the "small" things man. Can't convert on 3rd downs and kill themselves in penalties. Forget the inconsistent QB play, when you have that working against you, it's awfully hard to win games in this league. They literally giftwrap games for the opponent week in and week out...Pretty impressive actually lol.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:18 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, you don't need to axe Shanny, but you can take some control away from him in terms of making personnel decisions. His contract may read otherwise and that could be an issue but when you run the ENTIRE show, you will get majority of the blame...Even on non-coaching decisions. 

Yep. That’s what I said lol. 

On 10/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, GW21 said:

there is no way I would axe Shanny before trying to restructure the personnel power balance. 

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I think its coaching malpractice Moore had entered the equation@RG thus far this season.

But yeah, he has looked pretty solid for a rookie. Arguably the best pick of the class along with Mitchell in terms of impact on the field (thus far). He looks like he belongs, which has been a pleasant surprise.

Maybe he should have been considered at RG, but honestly, he's the most reliable swing tackle we've had in years (although, had he made it at RG, Brunskill has shown to be at least decent as a reserve at T). So I'm fine with him backing up our OTs this year. He gets great experience without having the pressure of being the starter, and he can shadow Trent Williams. I'm not sure playing side by side with McG helps him, at this point. So I'd be fine to committing to him at RT next offseason, but knowing this coaching staff, they'll probably drum up a narrative that he's regressed and needs to earn his job...

47 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Good thing he doesn't see the field anymore 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, we wouldn't want that guy to be active in as close to a must win game as you can have in week 7. Better to have Dre Kirkpatrick serve as the primary CB backup 

Smfh