Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

I still stand by my statement that you let him play under his fifth year rookie deal, then Franchise Tag him if you need a 1 year solution, giving you 2.5 years to figure it out. If he's going to take a deal in the low to mid 30 million dollar range, I'd consider it, but he needs to show he can do better against pressure than he's done thus far...and unfortunately, he really got hurt at a bad time for himself and for the Browns, because I'm not really sure what this year shows at all, if anything, except for the fact that he's super tough and has a lot of intangible leadership qualities despite a major injury.

• Like 1

Put me in the 5th year option and then franchise him crowd. Need more data. Let the coaches and system remain the same and get another healthy year before making that call.  If he gets hurt again, then another data point gets more prevalent, can he stay healthy? Jumping the gun now isn't worth saving a few million a year in what will be an exploding cap over the next 3 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

100% absolutely. I cant go another 25 years of the Browns drafting horrific QBs at the top of round 1. 

At the Top of Round 1? The only ones they've drafted before the 22nd overall pick were Tim Couch and Baker. They basically went 20 years content to not address the QB spot with even their first 1st Round selection.

They drafted Joe Thomas AND Brady Quinn, Trent Richardson AND Brandon Weeden, and Justin Gilbert AND Johnny Manziel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

At the Top of Round 1? The only ones they've drafted before the 22nd overall pick were Tim Couch and Baker. They basically went 20 years content to not address the QB spot with even their first 1st Round selection.

They drafted Joe Thomas AND Brady Quinn, Trent Richardson AND Brandon Weeden, and Justin Gilbert AND Johnny Manziel.

Fine, if you want to get technical, the "top of round 1" + "the bottom of round 1" + "all the rounds" + "UDFA and FA signings"

Better?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Put me in the 5th year option and then franchise him crowd. Need more data. Let the coaches and system remain the same and get another healthy year before making that call.  If he gets hurt again, then another data point gets more prevalent, can he stay healthy? Jumping the gun now isn't worth saving a few million a year in what will be an exploding cap over the next 3 years.

Yup. Although I'm not overly concerned about his ability to stay healthy long-term as this was his first legit injury since being in the league. But it sucks it happened when it did since this was supposed to be a major year for him in determining if he is the guy or not.

But yeah, definitely rather pay him more later rather than pay him now and he proves to not be worth it. Cleveland has at least one more season, if not more, before they need to make a decision to keep him long-term or not.

Fandom can be so silly. The real Baker revealed himself in the second half of 2020 when he played 6 teams with 4 or less wins, and another team playing all of its backups? That's awfully convenient. A reasonable GM would wait a year and decide then. As it stands it doesn't seem like you can be a contender paying Baker top 5 money.

• Like 3

I say you do it as long as you can get some friendlyish terms, which shouldn’t be impossible right now given the leverage the Browns have. Baker is a solid QB with room to grow. You don’t need him to be Patrick Mahomes to win a super bowl. 

People saying there’s “no reason” to do so without a prove-it year in between (which I’m not necessarily downplaying) are forgetting that the cap is going to jump and deals are about to get a lot more expensive. That, and if Baker flukes and plays even better, he’s really got you by the cahones. You might end up doing what Dallas did and pony up down the road when you (potentially) could’ve gotten better terms had you made a move earlier. 

I’d see where he’s at. If, while injured, and under team control for really 2+ more years, he’s demanding and not budging on record breaking numbers with impossible terms - then kick rocks. But I’d see where things are at first.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I say you do it as long as you can get some friendlyish terms, which shouldn’t be impossible right now given the leverage the Browns have. Baker is a solid QB with room to grow. You don’t need him to be Patrick Mahomes to win a super bowl. 

People saying there’s “no reason” to do so without a prove-it year in between (which I’m not necessarily downplaying) are forgetting that the cap is going to jump and deals are about to get a lot more expensive. That, and if Baker flukes and plays even better, he’s really got you by the cahones. You might end up doing what Dallas did and pony up down the road when you (potentially) could’ve gotten better terms had you made a move earlier. 

I’d see where he’s at. If, while injured, and under team control for really 2+ more years, he’s demanding and not budging on record breaking numbers with impossible terms - then kick rocks. But I’d see where things are at first.

I don't see that as a problem.  If the downside of waiting is "Well, he might play really well," then sign me up to the wait group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

No reason to extend him now.

Let him play out his fifth year option. If he plays well and is consistent, extend him even if that means paying him more than you'd have to pay him now. If he doesn't take the next step, look for a new QB.

On the other side of things - why would Baker Mayfield be okay with playing on a 5th year option with no guarantees going forward after an offseason where he'll need surgery?

It is one thing to play on a franchise tag worth $31m like Dak did.  But Baker's 5th year option is "only" $18m.  It wouldn't make sense for him to not try and push hard for an extension, or at the very least for them to give him a raise.  

I do think best-case scenario for the Browns is letting him play out the 5th year option, but I don't see why Baker would want to do that.  

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Crap, don't move it to News either. I Mod there, too.

Can we add in a Lamar Jackson component and pawn it off to @mse326, @D82 and Comparisons?

Add a trade for Matt Ryan component instead and it can languish in the haunted house of FF, the Atlanta Falcons subforum. Noone will find this thread there.

OT: I'd extend him. He's the first QB in a LONG time that actually seems like he could be a real asset to the team. If he's having a down year right now you could probably get some goodboi points for "sticking with your QB" while actually achieving a discount/team friendly structure.
If Baker were to ball out next year, sure you can franchise him but after that you've lost all leverage plus he might opt to sit out. Then what? Overpay bigtime and blow up the team or let him walk?
If he doesn't deliver you still might not be looking at a top 5 pick to replace him with since he's atleast mediocre and the rest of the team has plenty of depth.
I'd offer him a frontloaded extention structured in a way that the team can move on after 2 years without too much penalty. Best risk/reward imo.

• Like 1