Jump to content

Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

On the other side of things - why would Baker Mayfield be okay with playing on a 5th year option with no guarantees going forward after an offseason where he'll need surgery?

It is one thing to play on a franchise tag worth $31m like Dak did.  But Baker's 5th year option is "only" $18m.  It wouldn't make sense for him to not try and push hard for an extension, or at the very least for them to give him a raise.  

I do think best-case scenario for the Browns is letting him play out the 5th year option, but I don't see why Baker would want to do that.

Which is fine, but then the issue becomes:

Who else is paying Baker what the Browns would be willing to give him? And how many years/guarantees are they giving?

Serious questions

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

On the other side of things - why would Baker Mayfield be okay with playing on a 5th year option with no guarantees going forward after an offseason where he'll need surgery?

It is one thing to play on a franchise tag worth $31m like Dak did.  But Baker's 5th year option is "only" $18m.  It wouldn't make sense for him to not try and push hard for an extension, or at the very least for them to give him a raise.  

I do think best-case scenario for the Browns is letting him play out the 5th year option, but I don't see why Baker would want to do that.  

Considering his other option is hold out, tank his value and possibly his career, i'd say he has very good reasons to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess he is, just not for top5 money. For his own good i hope he reckognizes this. Not many teams around that would assemble him with that much quality starters on O.

As a Ravens fan i sure hope he asks for +40m, gets tagged and drama unfolds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically this comes down to the Dak effect instead of double franchise tag then paying him, you have the 5th year option along with the franchise tag before deciding to extend him.  Only issue I see by waiting to pay him after those 2 years the cost of a QB may go up by then when you got guys like Burrow and Herbert looking at new deals as that would be year 4 not to mention other vets who are looking to get extensions. Then you got the pay them early move and you get in a Goff, Wentz, and tannehill type situation. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DutchFalcon said:

Noone will find this thread there

That's where I go to cry. No thank you.

 

On the topic at hand - let him play on the 5th year, then tag him if it's still up in the air. If in year 5 it all comes together - sure, give him a big deal.

Baker won't like it, sure - but everyone in that FO WANTS to pay him like an elite QB, so he's got to perform like one, and the 5th year + tag gives him the opportunity to get there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Considering his other option is hold out, tank his value and possibly his career, i'd say he has very good reasons to do that.

How would he tank his value?  QBs are always going to get paid.  Look at the demand for Watson despite the allegations.  Dak Prescott destroyed his ankle and still got in his bag.  Wentz played like crap and has proven to be injury prone, and yet the Colts are going to pay a 1st round pick for him.  The only way Baker would tank his value is if he played and looked absolutely dreadful.

Mayfield could threaten to hold out for half a season.  Mayfield could hold out of OTAs, camp, and preseason, and hurt the chemistry with the team.  Mayfield has options, just like the Browns do.  Not saying he'll do any of those, but there are threats he can make that can bring a lot of unnecessary distractions to a team with the talent to win now.

I just don't think it as simple as the Browns sitting back and saying, hey we're going to have you play on your 5th year option.  Has any QB that wasn't a bust done so yet?  I don't think so.  Mayfield would be the first.  And I really can't see him or his agent, after offseason surgery, saying, "yeah we're cool with that, no problem here."

Maybe I'm wrong and Mayfield will be cool with it.  But from a players perspective, I don't think it would be smart for him to not push for that long-term contract as hard as he can.  At the very least, I see him fighting for them to raise his salary in 2022 to give him something closer to franchise tag compensation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

How would he tank his value?  QBs are always going to get paid.  Look at the demand for Watson despite the allegations.  Dak Prescott destroyed his ankle and still got in his bag.  Wentz played like crap and has proven to be injury prone, and yet the Colts are going to pay a 1st round pick for him.  The only way Baker would tank his value is if he played and looked absolutely dreadful.

Mayfield could threaten to hold out for half a season.  Mayfield could hold out of OTAs, camp, and preseason, and hurt the chemistry with the team.  Mayfield has options, just like the Browns do.  Not saying he'll do any of those, but there are threats he can make that can bring a lot of unnecessary distractions to a team with the talent to win now.

I just don't think it as simple as the Browns sitting back and saying, hey we're going to have you play on your 5th year option.  Has any QB that wasn't a bust done so yet?  I don't think so.  Mayfield would be the first.  And I really can't see him or his agent, after offseason surgery, saying, "yeah we're cool with that, no problem here."

Maybe I'm wrong and Mayfield will be cool with it.  But from a players perspective, I don't think it would be smart for him to not push for that long-term contract as hard as he can.  At the very least, I see him fighting for them to raise his salary in 2022 to give him something closer to franchise tag compensation.

Demand hasn't met the asking price for Watson yet. I'll take that analogy when Watson is actually traded.

I'm not exactly going to be convinced to go get a guy who quits on his team, his team mates, and his fans because he's ONLY getting $20 mil or $30 mil, especially one who doesn't have a long track record of elite play.  Mayfield may not like it, but I don't see him holding out because of it.  The way to get paid like an elite QB is to perform like one, and really to do it more than once.  He can push for that long term deal all he wants, but in the end both sides have to agree to a deal.  Baker doesn't have that kind of clout yet to force a deal through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Goff got, what, $130 over 4 years? I would imagine that's the starting point. 

And that was a mistake that cost them multiple first round picks and multiple day 2 picks to fix. If Mayfield doesn't come back this year and look elite, no way I give him that contract.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

And that was a mistake that cost them multiple first round picks and multiple day 2 picks to fix. If Mayfield doesn't come back this year and look elite, no way I give him that contract.

Agreed. But I gotta imagine that's where Baker's agent starts at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He has the right to ask for Goff money, and the Browns may even give it to him considering the cap is likely skyrocketing, making it a "bargain" for an average NFL QB (which is what he has been thus far), but if I'm the Browns, I'd say:

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2022/

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2023/

Somewhere between Wentz and Goff money seems fair. If he can be signed for ~$30 million per year, I'd be relatively happy...and maybe you make it up to him by making it highly guaranteed and even up front.

4 years, $120 million, $80 million guaranteed, and you can keep getting elite OL and weapons Baker. What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think giving Baker $30+ mil a year would be a mistake. He’s a QB you can win with if you have a top tier roster but he’s not going to carry an offense with average talent. 
 

And even though historically the Browns are awful at drafting QB’s the young QB’s coming into the NFL nowadays are really good. Just in the past 5 years the draft has produced: Dak, Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow. All guys who are either elite or have elite potential. 
 

I’m not saying that they should give up on Baker just yet but if he doesn’t show some improvement by after year 5 and is demanding top QB money, I think the Browns should just move on from him and take their chances in the draft. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Baker's better than alot of QBs but if the Browns pay him $30+ million a year I don't really see a way they could ever be true contenders. Winning record, yes, but a true sB contender I'd say no. 

The Browns/Baker need a great roster around him if they want to win a SB and I just don't think that's possible if you're investing that much in one position with his skill level. He relies on a great OL and running attack to help open up the pass, + he is never going to win shoot outs vs Mahomes/Allen/Herbert/Burrow so that defense would have to be built up nice too. 

Very tough spot to be in for the Browns. I think they have to just resign him and maybe Baker can take another leap.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't hard at all

Baker isn't a top 5-10 guy. He just isn't. You don't pay him top 5 money simply because you've been a bad franchise and lacked a QB in the past. You don't willingly make the opposite mistake

If you can get him for $20-25M, then fine, go for it. But if you think you can pay him near the top of the market you are insane

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...