Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't see that as a problem.  If the downside of waiting is "Well, he might play really well," then sign me up to the wait group.

No, the downside is instead of paying Baker a decent deal that’s relatively team friendly (hypothetically) you have to pay him a top of the market deal. Or if the Browns make a decent playoff run, you’re going to be in a Flacco situation. 

Playing well and playing well enough where you’re comfortable giving a guy a record breaking contract, are not necessarily the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

No, the downside is instead of paying Baker a decent deal that’s relatively team friendly (hypothetically) you have to pay him a top of the market deal. Or if the Browns make a decent playoff run, you’re going to be in a Flacco situation. 

Playing well and playing well enough where you’re comfortable giving a guy a record breaking contract, are not necessarily the same thing. 

Yeah, but the downside is only paying too much for elite QB play.

That's an acceptable downside.  If you have to pay your QB a top of the market deal, then you should be pretty happy, because that's a great place to be in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, but the downside is only paying too much for elite QB play.

That's an acceptable downside.  If you have to pay your QB a top of the market deal, then you should be pretty happy, because that's a great place to be in.

No, it isn’t. You don’t need to be an elite QB or play at an elite level to be in position to be the highest paid player. More often than not, that is not the case.

Go get your money Baker. Im always on the side of the player getting their money especially if its on the table. Now as an organization I wouldnt offer Baker that big of a contract bc we see what type of team Cleveland is. They are a run based team that plays really good defense. When the Browns are forced into shootouts Baker have proven when its money time bc the game in on the line he cant deliver. Thats not a QB you want to pay Russ and Mahomes type money. 

The Browns can franchise tag Baker twice. What if the Browns traded Baker to the Falcons for Ryan? That would be a great trade. You give a Superbowl ready roster in Cleveland a former MVP who once took a talented Falcons roster to the Superbowl with a great offensive mind in Shanny. The Browns have another great offensive mind in Stefanski so this could be a similar situation for Ryan. He will have a great OL, great running backs, you can keep OBJ bc Ryan will unlock him plus Landry and the tight ends. Ryan already have chemistry with Hooper. And then he has a great defense and a great fanbase for Cleveland so homefield advantage will be insane. Meanwhile, Baker can go to Atlanta to pair with Arthur Smith who helped turn Tannehill career around in Tennessee when people written him off. Baker still will have weapons in Ridley and Pitts. The expectations wont be as high anymore for him so the pressure for him wont be too much. He can just go out and continue to develop and show that yes he is worthy to get paid and if he plays well and lead the Falcons to the playoffs then on his resume he can say he took a bad Browns franchise to the playoffs and he took a Falcons franchise who was trending down and stuck in the mud for years now to the playoffs. He could then get a nice payday and people will look at him differently in the same way people now look at Tannehill in Tennessee bc they see how he is doing. 

I would say yes, but to a shorter term modest deal--similar to what he would get in the open market. I'm thinking 2 years $30-$35 million. He's at the tail end of the Carr/Tannehill/Cousins/Ryan/Burrow/etc. tier.

I do wonder what a team like the Broncos or Steelers might give up for him. I am not convinced he's an upgrade over their respective QB, but he is more talented. I've said it before, but Mayfield's upside is Derek Carr--but he has to really work to get there.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Give him Tannehill / Carr / Cousins money.

So around 35 mil

Honest question.. Assuming you would get some sort of compensation from Baker (either tag and trade or comp pick)

Would you prefer to keep Baker Mayfield at 35 Mil?

Or draft a QB in a Mac Jones type of draft position, who would inherit a very favorable team to support him, and have that extra 25 Mil to maintain that roster around him?

IMO if a QB is elite, then pay him, but why putz around paying the 16th best QB top 8 money - at the expense of 2-3 very good players who you can no longer afford, when you can instead put a rookie contract QB in an elite situation?

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

IMO if a QB is elite, then pay him, but why putz around paying the 16th best QB top 8 money - at the expense of 2-3 very good players who you can no longer afford, when you can instead put a rookie contract QB in an elite situation?

Top 8 money becomes top 16 money in like two years.

Normally I’d never suggest a team let their history fuel a decision, but can the Browns really afford to play around with the QB position? Just lock him down. Make it a contract you can get out of in 2-3 years, but you’ve gotta extend the best QB in your modern franchise’s history, even if he’s only been playing like an average NFL QB. He’s got the tools, give him the money and hope he improves. 

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

Just my own personal opinion. Here are the only 2 units I trust this front office and coaching staff to draft / sign / develop:

1. Offensive line

2. Defensive line

Those units are also the only areas I’m worried about losing guys because they’re the strength of the team. We need to be like the 2018 Eagles or the Giants teams that won with an elite offensive line / defensive line play.

I will start getting worried if Baker impacts those units.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

For 33-36M per year--yes. For 40M+ No.

I know Browns fans have PTSD from being the laughing stock of the NFL for the last 20 years but I hope you realize you have a really good team now.  Baker Mayfield is not the reason why ya'll are finally good now.  It's because you have a roster loaded with talent at every other position.

As a Brown's fan you should want your GM to make a move like the Rams did this summer.  Not the one they made a few years ago when they paid another below average QB whose flaws were hidden by an elite roster franchise QB money.

Baker Mayfield is your Jared Goff.  Don't make the same mistake the Rams did.  Move on from Mayfield right now.  Use some draft picks to pick up a veteran QB whose on a team going nowhere like Matt Ryan and start competing for Super Bowls.

Sticking with Mayfield will be a monumental mistake for the Browns regardless of the price.  He's simply not good enough to get yall to the promise land. 

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

100% absolutely. I cant go another 25 years of the Browns drafting horrific QBs at the top of round 1. 

Mayfield is not that good.  He benefits from an unbelievable supporting cast.  Something those other QBs didn't have.

Put Mayfield on the Texans or Jaguars roster today and see how he looks.  He would be no different than those Browns QBs you speak of.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Give him Tannehill / Carr / Cousins money.

So around 35 mil

But he's not as good as those guys.  He's barely better than Case Keenum.  Mayfield is a bottom tier starting QB.  The only reason he's looked better than that is because of the talent around him.

Player for player, the Browns have the most talented roster in the NFL.  Put those 3 QBs you mentioned in Mayfield's place and you are looking at the favorite to win the Super Bowl this year.