Is Baker Mayfield worth an extension

soflbillsfan

5 hours ago, drew39k said:

Yes it is, because better then him doesn't mean flawless. And getting one of those is still a crap shoot. I mean, this past draft there were 6 QBs drafted fairly high and only 1 looks decent right now(the guy that has the best HC of all time coaching him up.) Do you want to dump Mayfield and 3 first rounders for Zach Wilson, Justin fields or Tua tagaviloa?

Something tells me that Wilson/Fields/Tua would look a lot better than they currently do if they were in the Browns offense rather than in the dumpster fire situations they are in now. 

And if Baker was in a average or worse offense people would consider him a below average QB. 

But my point stands. A lot of better QB’s have been produced by the draft since Baker was drafted in 2018. 

If Baker is still the same guy by the end of 2022 paying him top QB money is a mistake if your end goal is to win a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

#1 pick QB's don't hit superstardom at that high of a rate.

I think the switcheroo of Stafford/Goff this year should be a case study of how important the organization/coaching/situation is. 

Most #1 overall picks get drafted into terrible situations. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bolts223 said:

Something tells me that Wilson/Fields/Tua would look a lot better than they currently do if they were in the Browns offense rather than in the dumpster fire situations they are in now. 

And if Baker was in a average or worse offense people would consider him a below average QB. 

But my point stands. A lot of better QB’s have been produced by the draft since Baker was drafted in 2018. 

If Baker is still the same guy by the end of 2022 paying him top QB money is a mistake if your end goal is to win a Super Bowl.

This is a good point. Is your goal to win the Super Bowl?

19 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

And if Baker was in a average or worse offense people would consider him a below average QB

Baker already proved more than capable when he was drafted by a team that had just gone 1-31 the previous two seasons and still had a dysfunctional coaching staff for his rookie and sophomore season. Can we please stop acting like he came into a stable organization or comparing him to the rookie QBs that are struggling now? 

I agree he is not worth top QB money, but he will definitely get the average as he should.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Onizuka said:

Baker already proved more than capable when he was drafted by a team that had just gone 1-31 the previous two seasons and still had a dysfunctional coaching staff for his rookie and sophomore season. Can we please stop acting like he came into a stable organization or comparing him to the rookie QBs that are struggling now? 

I agree he is not worth top QB money, but he will definitely get the average as he should.

Him and his agent are going to demand top QB money. 

5 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Him and his agent are going to demand top QB money. 

And he is going to get it, just like Kirk Cousins did. QB is an incredibly hard position to fill. There are so many moving parts that can make a good QB look bad or a bad QB look good.  

13 minutes ago, drew39k said:

And he is going to get it, just like Kirk Cousins did. QB is an incredibly hard position to fill. There are so many moving parts that can make a good QB look bad or a bad QB look good.  

Yes, I agree he probably will get it. 

It’s still a poor decision to give him that kinda money if the end goal is to win a Super Bowl. 

How exactly has the Cousins deal worked out for the Vikings so far? Cousins/Vikings are the perfect example of what you don’t want to be - stuck in perpetual mediocrity. 

People really overvalue the whole, Baker taking a 1-31 team and making it 7-7, thing. Going from hot trash to mediocre stability at QB (not saying he's mediocre now, but as a rookie, definitely) makes a HUGE difference to a team. Going from the worst QB in football and the worst scoring offense in football to something that's just okay, especially with a last place schedule, is going to vault a team pretty far. A competent QB is going to allow the talent that was already there to actually have a chance. It doesn't mean Baker really represents +6 or +7 wins worth of value, that's only the case because of how terrible Kizer was. It was a similar situation when Alex Smith showed up in KC. We went from 2-14 to 11-4. It wasn't because Alex Smith was so good as to add 9 wins to any team, it was that Cassel was so atrocious the year before, that a pretty good QB made that huge of a difference.

That Browns team had some talent already. And added more the same year they added Baker. As did those 2012 Chiefs. But it's really really hard for any talent to flourish with QB play that bad. But it's important not to mistake Baker's value over Deshone Kizer, with Baker's value over the field.

I think the Browns probably have to extend him. I wouldn't feel great about it, but I'd probably do it in their case. But it isn't like dropping Baker on any incompetent team is going to make them go .500. Teams like the 2020 Texans or Falcons, who were bad despite fine QB play, would still be bad with Baker.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, VanS said:

I know Browns fans have PTSD from being the laughing stock of the NFL for the last 20 years but I hope you realize you have a really good team now.  Baker Mayfield is not the reason why ya'll are finally good now.  It's because you have a roster loaded with talent at every other position.

As a Brown's fan you should want your GM to make a move like the Rams did this summer.  Not the one they made a few years ago when they paid another below average QB whose flaws were hidden by an elite roster franchise QB money.

Baker Mayfield is your Jared Goff.  Don't make the same mistake the Rams did.  Move on from Mayfield right now.  Use some draft picks to pick up a veteran QB whose on a team going nowhere like Matt Ryan and start competing for Super Bowls.

Sticking with Mayfield will be a monumental mistake for the Browns regardless of the price.  He's simply not good enough to get yall to the promise land. 

My target is Russ Wilson but I think that got shot down on the Browns board for some reason.

20 hours ago, drew39k said:

For some teams I guess. But NFL teams have been switching QB's at a way higher rate then they ever have.

18 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

People really overvalue the whole, Baker taking a 1-31 team and making it 7-7, thing. Going from hot trash to mediocre stability at QB (not saying he's mediocre now, but as a rookie, definitely) makes a HUGE difference to a team. Going from the worst QB in football and the worst scoring offense in football to something that's just okay, especially with a last place schedule, is going to vault a team pretty far. A competent QB is going to allow the talent that was already there to actually have a chance. It doesn't mean Baker really represents +6 or +7 wins worth of value, that's only the case because of how terrible Kizer was. It was a similar situation when Alex Smith showed up in KC. We went from 2-14 to 11-4. It wasn't because Alex Smith was so good as to add 9 wins to any team, it was that Cassel was so atrocious the year before, that a pretty good QB made that huge of a difference.

That Browns team had some talent already. And added more the same year they added Baker. As did those 2012 Chiefs. But it's really really hard for any talent to flourish with QB play that bad. But it's important not to mistake Baker's value over Deshone Kizer, with Baker's value over the field.

I think the Browns probably have to extend him. I wouldn't feel great about it, but I'd probably do it in their case. But it isn't like dropping Baker on any incompetent team is going to make them go .500. Teams like the 2020 Texans or Falcons, who were bad despite fine QB play, would still be bad with Baker.

Bakers problem isnt that he is average, hes not average. His problem is that he is inconsistent. When he is 'on' he looks like a top 8-10 QB in the NFL, however there are weeks where he just doesnt have it and looks like a bad QB.

We saw his ceiling and what hes capable of many times, especially last year (go rewatch the Bengals, Titans, Cowboys, Giants and Steelers games). However there is a equally large pile of games where it leaves you scratching your head. Its about finding stability with him more than it is him being average