Someone of an nutty question, but when a team is stacking losses, and fans are tired of hearing the same "excuses" from coaches/players after games in the presser, what do they want them to say?

TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I dont really care about the press conference.  Doesnt mean anything, just regurgitated politically correct lines.

True, coaches don't like being up there it seems anyway, especially after a loss. So I don't take it that seriously since it's rare that they really open up. I guess I wish more folks would be indifferent about post game pressers win or loss since they aren't that meaningful even if it's the best the fans can gleam into what's happening behind the scenes. 

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

True, coaches don't like being up there it seems anyway, especially after a loss. So I don't take it that seriously since it's rare that they really open up. I guess I wish more folks would be indifferent about post game pressers win or loss since they aren't that meaningful even if it's the best the fans can gleam into what's happening behind the scenes. 

Every now and then you get some gems, but its mostly for entertainment.  The press conference isnt the place to look for meaningful football talk.

16 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I dont really care about the press conference.  Doesnt mean anything, just regurgitated politically correct lines.

Same. For the most part they're just useful for roster, depth chart, and injury updates. Don't bother with it for anything else

And people wonder why Belichick is standoffish and tight-lipped during press conferences.

Look, the fact is the media and fanbases are mostly toxic. We live in an age that demands instant results and patience is no longer a thing. It's something I'm trying to improve on personally 

These teams don't owe an explanation to the public.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I know this is essentially stupid and probably just comes down to angry sports fans wanting to lash out emotionally. But at the same time I still wanted to ask this question in case there really is a reasonable explanation that makes sense. So this happens every year. If you look at people's reactions after a head coach's message has grown stale, and the same message along the lines of "have to look at the film" or "we've just got to better" is said over the course of weeks of losing, there is a lot of blowback. The worst example of this in 2021 is probably Matt Nagy in Chicago with fans mocking his catch phrase of "needing to find the 'whys' of the issue". But coaches are contractually obligated by the NFL to essentially sit there and answer questions from the media. So amid the backlash from fans hearing "the same old message" every week I think to myself "Well, what do you want him to say?" Really, what more is there other than saying the team/coaches/players have to find a way to get better? The players say the same thing usually, and is there really any more to it than that? For as much as I hated Mike Singletary as 49ers head coach, I can't fault him for essentially saying the same "Well we'll have to look at the film for answers" response he had every week when a reporter asked him a variation of how to fix the 49ers losing problems. So, is there a reasonable demand from fanbases of not wanting to hear the same old story every week when the losing starts with no end of sight? Or is the elixir as simple as win games, and the savagery won't reel it's ugly head? 

No, there isn't something reasonable to be said after a win or a loss. The coaches/players are forced into post-game interviews with the media, but in order to maintain a competitive advantage you will never hear anything truly meaningful from a coach. You will never hear them say "we were surprised how much they broke their tendency to run coverage X and they played coverage Y instead." You're lucky to hear "They surprised us with some looks and we have some things we need to clean up." If the coaches/players tipped their hands about what they saw or what they were expecting to see that would give opposing coaches, scouts, and players insight into the game planning process of the organization.

I QUIT lol

Seriously though I think coaches dont need to say anything. Just fix the problem. Some problems are hard to fix and it cant be fixed in a year or two. Other problems can be fixed. There is no reason a team should be constantly leading the league in being penalized. Thats undisciplined and it starts with coaching. You can only blame the refs so much. Fix the issue. I hate when a coach says "we need to give x player the ball more" yet they still dont do it. Thats for all my fantasy peeps out there. You are the coach so call plays for that players. 

I do think when a coach keeps saying the same thing over and over and the results are still the same either he gets frustrated and make changes to staff or roster or the players grow tired of the coach and tune him out and he loses the locker room and he ultimately gets fired. So it doesnt matter what a coach says if he dont produce results then what he says is irrelevant. Same with players in particular the QB. How many times have we heard Mahomes this year say he has to do better with the turnovers yet he is still turning the ball over? So nobody wants to hear him talk about it in the press conference. He might as well say "next question" or "no comment". He just need to go out there and stop turning the ball over. 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The whole press conference and talking to the media after a game is such a tired concept now. 

I could see its value in the past, when fans had no other way to get info on the team, but nowadays its useless, and the worst way to get info on the team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The whole press conference and talking to the media after a game is such a tired concept now. 

I'd actually agree to this - treat it like MMA/UFC. Have a pre-game presser on Friday night with both teams and coaches available at the same time/in the same room, then only interview the winner after the game is over. Ramp up the pre-game trash talk, let em play on Sunday and eject the loser following the game...

History is written by the victor, nobody knows what General Custer said before he foolishly ran into Little Bighorn. Follow that lead.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd actually agree to this - treat it like MMA/UFC. Have a pre-game presser on Friday night with both teams and coaches available at the same time/in the same room, then only interview the winner after the game is over. Ramp up the pre-game trash talk, let em play on Sunday and eject the loser following the game...

History is written by the victor, nobody knows what General Custer said before he foolishly ran into Little Bighorn. Follow that lead.

giphy.gif

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

The same people griping about generic statements are the same people who complained and said that Dan Campbell threw Jared Goff under the bus a week ago when he said the truth, which is that the team needs to get more out of Jared Goff. The double standard is comical.

And for the record, Campbell wasn't wrong to say it, and I really don't care whether or not that's unpopular. At some point, you have to have broad shoulders and handle criticism, especially when that's something that basically every coach tells every player in every age group when they're playing. But somehow "going public" with that is crossing a line.