Transfer Portal 2021-2022 Edition

Texansfan713

19 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Newsflash, your school was never going to compete anyway

This is all that needs to be said. Alabama was better than your team before NIL, Alabama is better than your team after NIL. This doesn't unbalanced the equation, the equation was unbalanced well before - only now, the guys actually playing are benefitting.

College football is a billion dollar industry - someone is going to get rich. Why not the players?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The next time Pitt gets a Larry Fitzgerald or Jordan Addison, the fans are going to immediately start wishing them luck at a bigger school. Instead of having those brief 3-4 year stints that can help spark program growth, rivalries, all that stuff that is "classic CFB".

Fundamentally, how is this different than College Basketball and guys going pro after a year? Kevin Durant did a significant amount to lend credibility to UT basketball and he was there for a cup of coffee at most. College BB has been one and done for a while now and the power structure remains: A few blue blood programs littered with a few surges from other guys.

Right? Am I missing something?

On 5/20/2022 at 5:52 AM, Ozzy said:

Yeah will see just how good Caleb Williams really is at throwing the football, last year he was suspect at times but now has a big time weapon.  Addison obviously helps USC greatly, but helps further prove what is going on behind the scenes.  Nick Saban is correct, players are being bought now by boosters and it is pretty nuts.  Granted Bryce Young got a ton last year for Bama and he never even played yet so there is that.  Still what Saban said would happen with the playoff happened, and now with NIL money same thing is happening the great programs are getting even better and the smaller ones do not have the boosters to pay up to get the best players....

Was Caleb Williams suspect last year?  He had the 5th best AY/A in CFB.  He didn't have a Jordan Addison to throw to, but the WR room wasn't barren by any means.

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Was Caleb Williams suspect last year?  He had the 5th best AY/A in CFB.  He didn't have a Jordan Addison to throw to, but the WR room wasn't barren by any means.

I guess you did not watch him in the Kansas game, or more importantly the Baylor game or the Iowa State game.  He struggle big time against Baylor and Iowa State.

Granted his receivers also greatly sucked last year, Haselwood was a big disappointment, Mario Williams was not great, Woods was nothing special and Mims was just ok, Drake Stoops so so and Hall at least made some plays but he is a HB and Stogner was disappointing also so there is that.  Compare that to a few years before where they had Lamb and Rambo, yeah that OU WR core last year had real elite level players.

Addison will help him greatly but still the dude probably would have been more productive on Alabama and won a National Title.  Then again the Bama boosters are not as wealthy as the ones USC has so that helped the Trojans get him.  

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Fundamentally, how is this different than College Basketball and guys going pro after a year? Kevin Durant did a significant amount to lend credibility to UT basketball and he was there for a cup of coffee at most. College BB has been one and done for a while now and the power structure remains: A few blue blood programs littered with a few surges from other guys.

It's not, but CBB has become more and more March Madness centric recently. If CFB becomes only about the top 4 playoff, that's not a good sign for the sport.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not, but CBB has become more and more March Madness centric recently. If CFB becomes only about the top 4 playoff, that's not a good sign for the sport.

With NIL, whether it makes sense from a “talent” standpoint or not, expanding the CFP makes sense for these schools. Maybe some of these superstars stay if they get paid and have the feeling that they can play nationally meaningful games as opposed to the “rich getting richer” Big 4-6 teams that exist now in the sport. Plus, with expansion it’s  more money in everyone’s pockets from TV and ticket revenue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Granted his receivers also greatly sucked last year, Haselwood was a big disappointment, Mario Williams was not great, Woods was nothing special and Mims was just ok, Drake Stoops so so and Hall at least made some plays but he is a HB and Stogner was disappointing also so there is that.  Compare that to a few years before where they had Lamb and Rambo, yeah that OU WR core last year had real elite level players.

I wasn't really arguing that they were great.  I'd say they were solid across the board.  There wasn't anything special in that group, but they were solid overall.  Haselwood looked like a guy returning from a torn ACL early in the year, and he really started coming into his own towards the second half of the season.  Mario Williams was a true freshman, and he was second on the team in receptions.  He had his ups and downs.  Michael Woods was probably the most reliable receiver, and even he ended up getting drafted.  I'd argue Marvin Mims was a disappointment.  I thought he played better with Rattler as his QB then with Caleb Williams.

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Playoff expansion seems to be the best response, then. I’m all for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That solves one side of it, but it doesn't solve the decreased importance of the regular season.

That may just be inevitable.

That has been inevitable - even before the playoff, any sort of attempt to create urgency with the Regular Season (remember the BCS?) just leads to a lot of "whatabout-ism" and proves that nobody is going to be satisfied.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

That has been inevitable - even before the playoff, any sort of attempt to create urgency with the Regular Season (remember the BCS?) just leads to a lot of "whatabout-ism" and proves that nobody is going to be satisfied.

Either way back when Bowl games mattered the regular season was far more interesting and the players were more motivated for the bowl games as a reward for a good season.  Now just like Nick Saban said, the bowl games mean nothing, a ton of players do not even want to play in them and the only games anyone cares about are the playoffs and anyone not in the playoffs had an awful season?  It gets to the point of what is enough playoff teams, 4 is not enough, what 8, what 16, 32.  

College football is not March Madness and never will be and do players really want to play 3 or 5 additional games to the season when more often than not there are two clear top teams in college football by the end of the season and they play each other for the National Title.  Sure maybe some small school can win but this is not basketball here and is not very likely.  They really want a month or more long playoff like the FCS has?  

Last time I checked regular season games are far more entertaining than some random bowl game because of the home field advantages, being on campus and the total environment of it all, so if the playoff expands just makes more random "bowl" games that are not on a specific campus for the home team?   Not sure that is a great thing either.  

On 5/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, ET80 said:

I would say one pretty big difference is one gives the school huge credibility in "if I go here they can get me to the NBA" whereas the other is more of "I better leave here and go somewhere else if I want to accomplish anything". I don't think anyone blames players for going pro but Pitt fans probably see Addison winning the Biletnikoff and wonder why he feels he needs to leave when he was already going to be a top NFL pick there when they're the one that found him.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, ET80 said:

Is Pitt going to recruit another four 5* guys next year to replace Addison with equal talent? 

No one misses the studs at Duke, UNC, Kansas or Kentucky because they just recruit another class of studs every year. Those guys go pro too, not to another college program.

Kentucky isn't poaching the best players from Virginia Tech, Miami OH, UNLV and Rutgers every year, they're just taking the best HS talent. If you're a big fan of Southern Miss football, and you grab a 2* RB who's electric, you shouldnt have to worry about Bama and Georgia offering him 3 mil to leave your school.

Totally OK with NIL, and even offering kids money to go to your school out of HS. You shouldn't be able to transfer for money though, the scales are tilted enough.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 7:34 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Newsflash again, the bowl games never meant anything, the ones that did then still do now as they've just become playoff games.

bingo.  As a fan of a G5 team (until next year)  Im only excited if we play a P5 team in bowl games.  Only New Years 6 bowl games matter to me now.